The Student Room Group

Urgent Help !!! telephone interview for Ocupational Therapy

yikes last night a message was left on my phone about Occupational Therapy course in Oxford Brookes id applied for , and this morning i had an email from them as well.

it said that a leetter was sent to me on 5th of July about sending them an essay to help them decide on my application, but cos i never got the letter i never knew about this, and the email said today was the deadline for receiving the essay was today. so that gave me a bit of a shock, so i rang them to find out what was in the letter, and about the essay,etc

when i was talking to them, she said she would put me through to have a telephone interview right then and there. i went into major panics, but thankfully she was not available right then. but she will ring later today to have the interview !!

so can anyone help, what do i need to know, what kinda things will they ask me in the interview etc. can anyone tell me about both the course and the uni, cos im not sure , and im panicking now !! i wish i had some notice about it to prepare etc and think about it !! :eek:
Reply 1
Yikes, what a nightmare!

Check out the uni website for info on the course, then if there is nothing useful have a look at other uni's OT courses because the OT course will be similar all over the uk...

they'll ask you things like- why do you want to do the course, why at this uni, what work experience do you have, what did you see on your work experience, what skills do you think an OT needs, what do you think the job is about etc...

they might also ask you things like what are your strengths and weaknesses, how do you deal with certain situations etc...
Reply 2
its ok, they already got back to me !! didnt go so well !! had no time to prepare for it so my mind was blank, and gave realy dodgy answers !!

like they asked me what other courses and unis id applied for , and cos i only applied thru Ucas about a month and half ago, most places were full by then, so most of the courses came back as rejections. when she asked about the other courses, i should have said they were full, rather than saying i was rejected by them, makes me look bad. i didnt think they would ask me about the other courses id applied for , and the diff uni etc

anyway at least its over, i dont have to b stressing about it all day now
Reply 3
Oh that's a shame, well you never know! Do you have any other alternatives or are you going to try clearing?
Reply 4
thanks for reply samJL , i figured they would would ask me those kinda things, i just got into a tizz when they said it would today , i didnt think it would be so soon today though, i thought i would have a while to thinnk, and look stuff up, i didnt think they would b back to me within the hour. i was only starting to get my head sored and was making a cup of T to calm me down when they rang !

damn dodgy fone connections i couldnt make out what they were saying to me, connection was really fuzzy and kept cutting out, i had to ask 3 or 4 times to repeat most of it, cos i couldnt make out what they asked me ! so embarassed !!
Reply 5
Poor you, what a horrible thing to go through! I hope it turns out ok in the end, there's always clearing! :wink:
Reply 6
yeah they said they wouldnt offer me place now, but if they had any places in cleearing they would let me know, so its not all bad i suppose. i havnt heard yet from 2 of my places so mayb still some chance from them, or even clearing. i have also applied to do a health, exercise and physiology course here in ireland also. the course doesnt lead to definate career but can do follow on courses from it , so mayb that will work out either
Reply 7
Yep, don't be put off if you don't get in this time, doing the other course is a good idea, it will definitley help you get into OT next time around. I'm starting physio in september, I didn't get in when I first tried in 1998 so did another degree (sport science), I applied again this year and got in. Doing the other degree defintiely helped!

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 8
thanks for that !!

Latest