The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maths and Physics would be essential. I'd advise Further Maths as well. Economics would not be required, and nor would chemistry, although chemistry might possibly help slightly.
You've chosen a good combination on subjects, my advice would be to not focus solely on Civil Engineering two years before you apply, because your mind might change over the course of your A Levels.
yeah they should be fine, physics maths and chemistry are always a good engineering combination
Reply 3
Maths, physics and chemistry are a good combination. I like that you've chosen economics (something that I also did, but for IB). Economics plays a crucial role in Engineering because it gives insight into the social aspect of engineering design and development. The knowledge that you'll gain from economics will give you a broader understanding of engineering, which I think is very important, and is something I also stressed in my interviews.
Reply 4
Thanks for all the advice! So this is a good combination rite? I was thinking wanna change econs to further math. But some senior told me that further math is hard
Reply 5
^ Further maths is hard, but from what I understand it's not very difficult to get an A (something like 57% of students achieve an A). If possible, you could take Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths and Economics at AS, and then drop Economics and one other for A2. Taking 5 AS subjects isn't huge in terms of workload, so if your school allows you to take 5 then that would be the best bet, in my opinion.
Reply 6
reilog
Can someone tell me what are the A-levels entry requirement for Civil Engineering?

I had chosen Physics, Math, Chemistry and Econs for my A-levels study. Isit these will be fine?

Your combination is a very good one and will add variety to your choices in the future, however if you are determined to go into engineering, then Further Maths will be a better option in place of economics.

Agreed that it is a hard subject ( I am doing IB Further Maths on self study and it is killing me), but the universities realize this and if you score a good grade you easily distinguish your self:smile:
Reply 7
CocoPop
^ Further maths is hard, but from what I understand it's not very difficult to get an A (something like 57% of students achieve an A). If possible, you could take Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths and Economics at AS, and then drop Economics and one other for A2. Taking 5 AS subjects isn't huge in terms of workload, so if your school allows you to take 5 then that would be the best bet, in my opinion.

Erm, but the problem is I can only choose maximum 4 subject. So I need to make a choice between further math and econs. Further math is only encourage to take only rite ? Not a must subject for Civil Engineering ?
Reply 8
reilog
Erm, but the problem is I can only choose maximum 4 subject. So I need to make a choice between further math and econs. Further math is only encourage to take only rite ? Not a must subject for Civil Engineering ?

It's not a requirement, from what I understand. If you're applying to Cambridge then some colleges will prefer that you take further maths, but won't require it.

It boils down to two options:

1) If you take further maths then you will develop a much deeper understanding of the topics you will cover at an undergraduate level. You will probably find it easier to adapt to the level of difficulty of university maths.

2) If you take economics then you will be able to appreciate a much broader picture of both engineering and economics in general. I find that economics has been one of my favourite subjects because it incorporates everything we hear on the news and everything we do in life and tackles it from a systematic and academic viewpoint. It will also give you some leverage in case you later decide to choose another career path.

I think if you're 100% sure about doing engineering then go for Further Maths. If you want to explore a subject area outside of the pure maths and sciences, or want to give yourself some more options in terms of university course choices, then go for Economics.
Reply 9
Ok, thanks ya! Then i go for economics!
maths
physics

that should be enough!
Reply 11
Do further maths, you'll need to learn most of whats taught during your civil course anyway. I am studying triple maths at A-level, with that much math there is very little I need to learn whilst studying civil
reilog
Can someone tell me what are the A-levels entry requirement for Civil Engineering?

I had chosen Physics, Math, Chemistry and Econs for my A-levels study. Isit these will be fine?

there finer then fine:p:
Reply 13
i have chosen maths a level, graphic design a level, ict betec, and applied science betec
what correction do i have to make? please...
I'm in year 11 trying to decide what to take for a-levels with a view to doing civil engineering at university. I think I'm definitely taking maths, further maths and physics, but wondering whether to do chemistry, or geography, or both, for AS on top of that.
Help please!
Anyone?
Reply 16
Original post by Kilaskwiral
I'm in year 11 trying to decide what to take for a-levels with a view to doing civil engineering at university. I think I'm definitely taking maths, further maths and physics, but wondering whether to do chemistry, or geography, or both, for AS on top of that.
Help please!

Im in the same position as you, but am looking at maths, geography and physics for definite. I'm trying to decide between economics and PE for my AS and to drop at A2. However i am looking at a Russel group education and so am wondering whether they would have a preference between the two, have searched the websites and it appears that for Cambridge at least they do only require maths and physics to be taken at A level. I think may be that 5 A levels could put a lot of pressure on you though!! I personally think that geography would be a good one to take for civil engineering but then again so could chemistry. I htink it would just come down to which you believe you would get a better result from. Like i know that i will be able to to well in maths physics and geography as they are the subjects i have enjoyed and been passionate about my whole life. So all in all i think that it is just which ever you think you would get a better grade in.:biggrin:

oopps.... bit of a rant there!!!!!:tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by reilog

First Year Civil at bristol. Physics and Maths are what is requried. Further Maths would help as Engieering Maths 1 is mostly just all of further maths taught in a very small space of time.
Reply 18
Chemistry is not essential but will help you a lot on the material parts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive got a week to decide between a2 geography or biology (im defintely keeping maths and physics), should I choose via my grades or the subject? Also, what do you think is more highly looked after as an a level for civil?
Im also going to self teach myself further maths without the exam pressure could i put this on my personal statement? Thx

Latest

Trending

Trending