The Student Room Group

Optometry - UCAS EXTRA????

Im thinking of studying Optometry at City University but im in a pickle...

At this moment in time, I am awaiting my replies to some of the universities I have applied to. I have applied to medicine through a ‘widening access to medicine school’ scheme and am awaiting my replies from the universities, of which will be around late march due to its high competition.

I understand that my decision is very late in the academic year for 2010 entry yet I would like to know, do you know if city uni normally have any places for optometry during Extra/Clearing and do you have any additional advice in applying for this course? The problem that I am having is that my universities will not reply to me until the end of March (after the process of UCAS Extra starts) therefore, if I was to reject my offers after I received decisions (if I was given any) I would surely miss out on any opportunites of anyn City University Optometry courses.

I am retaking my A2 modules. My personal statement is reered towards medicine, however contains many aspects of healthcare interests. I am already undertaking a Gap Year and do not wish to undertake another so would prefer to apply for 2010 entry.

Thanks for your time guys !!
Reply 1
Hi, Your situation is very common btw! Im studying Optometry at City Uni London and when i applied I remember that they had no places in clearing. To tell you the truth city doesnt do clearing for Optometry... but on the day of your results just ring them to ask.. but do this instantly when your results are in your hands. Then, if i was you, i would ring Bradford since they usually have places left for clearing and its not a bad Uni.

Hence if you dont get that place for that med thing.. or you decide not to go for it, then apply for Optom as suggested. But, have you considered Pharmacy.. since they have loads of places left in clearing! My sisters do it and, believe me, theres a lot of money involved and its a pretty relaxing job, unless your the manager! lol.

Hope I've helped, but please ask if you find that you do have a question to ask. x
Reply 2
I have the official 2009 clearing newspaper which has optometry places for city university so how can you say there arent any places?:woo:
Reply 3
healer
Hi, Your situation is very common btw! Im studying Optometry at City Uni London and when i applied I remember that they had no places in clearing. To tell you the truth city doesnt do clearing for Optometry... but on the day of your results just ring them to ask.. but do this instantly when your results are in your hands. Then, if i was you, i would ring Bradford since they usually have places left for clearing and its not a bad Uni.

Hence if you dont get that place for that med thing.. or you decide not to go for it, then apply for Optom as suggested. But, have you considered Pharmacy.. since they have loads of places left in clearing! My sisters do it and, believe me, theres a lot of money involved and its a pretty relaxing job, unless your the manager! lol.

Hope I've helped, but please ask if you find that you do have a question to ask. x

H, yeah you've helped alot!!
im looking into pharmacy as we speak. i would really like to study in london and so going to KCL for pharmacy would be ideal but I have no idea if they go through UCAS Extra with pharmacy. i would also consider keele, but im still not sure. my heart would be on london to be fair.
Reply 4
tina2010
I have the official 2009 clearing newspaper which has optometry places for city university so how can you say there arent any places?:woo:

was it available at aston too?
Reply 5
aimz08
was it available at aston too?

No they didnt go through clearing but sheffield n some other unis went n Sorry for replying so late.
Reply 6
tina2010
No they didnt go through clearing but sheffield n some other unis went n Sorry for replying so late.

Im not sure were you got that information from but sheffield dont do optometry. Only 8 Uni's do it according to Ucas.
Reply 7
Under the section of optometry these uni have places
Anglia ruskin uni B513C
The uni of bradford B510
Bradford college B503
City University B510,B511,B512
The uni of sheffield B520

Independent newspaper official clearling listing 2009

I typed it wots in da newsaper and i dont have any idea if sheffield does it or not?
Reply 8
Sheffield does Orthoptics.

Latest