The Student Room Group

How exactly do medical electives work?

Basically, when I'm older I plan on moving to the US as a doctor (hopefully) and to get a residency in a hospital there I'll need some experience working in America. I'm guessing the best time for this would be as a clinical elective.

So, I was just wondering how electives worked really. I've got the impression that I'll have to contact the hospital(s) themselves and sort all that kind of stuff out, is that right? Also, would there be a set period within the year to do the elective, or is it quite flexible? What is the process involved? By looking at all the prospectuses (prospectii? lol) they only seem to give a time period like '8 weeks' or something.

Thanks for reading, and sorry if these questions sound a bit dumb! :smile:
Reply 1
oooh, i am also interested by this.
Reply 2
My understanding is that it varies somewhat by medical school, but there is a period at some point in most courses where you can do more or less what you like for a few weeks, provided you arrange and pay for it yourself.
Reply 3
hamster33
oooh, i am also interested by this.

Electives, working in America, or both? :smile:
Reply 4
Subscribes :smile:
Reply 5
There is generally a set period - often the end of your fourth/start of fifth year to do the elective in. The med schools may be able to give you pointers, and they have to approve where you are going and what you are doing ie an elective in Helmand province is unlikely to be approved on safety grounds, but you can organise what you like within the boundaries the individual med school sets. You do have to pay for it all yourself, though you can apply for scholorships.
This thread has more info - if you do a search of the forum there have been loads of questions on electives in the past
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15864576&highlight=electives#post15864576

You won't know for sure when you are doing your elective until about a year before, depending on the med school involved, as the dates vary a little each year, which makes it harder to organise something in a really competitive area.

Latest

Trending

Trending