The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Sorry ment operant conditioning
Reply 2
It can be both. It's much more positive reinforcement, as you attach to someone because they give you something positive (food).

Operational conditioning is made up of both positive and negative reinforcement. I don't think you understand the idea of negative reinforcement - it's not removing something negative - that's by it's very nature, positive. Negative reinforcement would be if your mum hit you every time you didn't eat, so your behaviour changed because of the negative consequence.
Reply 3
This is my understanding of it:
positve = a gain in something
negative = a reduction in something
reinforcement = causing more of behaviour
punishment = causing less of behaviour

so wouldn't hitting be positive (by gaining a slap / Pain etc.) and punishment (reducing the behaviour not to eat)

sorry if I have this wrong, but Im really confused
It can be both positive and negative in the simplist of definitions. However, its traditionally described as positive, and trying to claim it was negative probably wont earn you many marks in your exam.

Just jump through the hoop, get the marks and don't bother being stubborn.

For definitions:

Positive: Encouraging behaviour by providing a positive influence. A treat.
Negative: Encouraging behaviour by removing a negative influence. E.g. a dog phobic running away from a dog. The further away they get, the less anxious they feel and are more likely to run away in future.
Punishment: Whacking that mofo in the head with a rolled up newspaper.

Latest

Trending

Trending