The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology AS/A2

Scroll to see replies

c0nfus3d
I hope so! I'll just be a boffin and revise loads anyway, not in detail though! how far are you with revision? I haven't even started! :woo:

Haha, good plan :p: I've not started yet either. It shouldn't be a difficult exam though, since almost all of it is just the same as AS, so I'm sure you'll do fine :smile: I'm far more stressed at the moment about Literature and History coursework :frown:
xJordy13x
Doing the Forensic and Health exam next week :s-smilie:
...I can't revise any more studies! ...Nothing more will fit into my brain! Re-take me thinks.
I am too positive!

Saaame! i'm thinking re-sits sound highly likely for me! Too many damn studies to learn all at once! Good luck! x
Reply 22
LostHorizons
Haha, good plan :p: I've not started yet either. It shouldn't be a difficult exam though, since almost all of it is just the same as AS, so I'm sure you'll do fine :smile: I'm far more stressed at the moment about Literature and History coursework :frown:

Aww. I guess we've got a while before the exam! Worry about the upcoming exams first!
I'm hoping it'll work like this!
Good luck and thanks for the rep :biggrin:
:smile:
Reply 23
how did everyone find the 'options in applied psychology' paper? I also did health and clinical as well as forensic, our college chose for us to do it in Jan instead of June :/ at least we get the chance to re-sit if needed I guess
hey im doing OCR A2 G544( and g543!0 this June 2010...
im doing the following topics..
FORENSIC
making a case
reaching a verdict
after a guilty verdict
HEALTH AND CLINICAL
Healthy living
stress
disorders

i'm not very keen on the forensic topic at all!
Its so hard learning 54 studies. Have you all started revsiing for the summer?
Reply 25
doing the approachs and research methods unit in june, absolutely do not get the statistic bit AT ALL
and clue anyone, if we have to know the like details between the different inferential statistical tests? proper struggling ¬¬
its not cool
marie_105
doing the approachs and research methods unit in june, absolutely do not get the statistic bit AT ALL
and clue anyone, if we have to know the like details between the different inferential statistical tests? proper struggling ¬¬
its not cool

I did that paper in January and yeah you have to know in which circumstance each test would be used, but you don't have to know how to do it or anything. They're just like which test would you use if the data was ordinal and for correlation or whatever, and you have to give the name of the test.
Reply 27
gilmoregirls1992
hey im doing OCR A2 G544( and g543!0 this June 2010...
im doing the following topics..
FORENSIC
making a case
reaching a verdict
after a guilty verdict
HEALTH AND CLINICAL
Healthy living
stress
disorders

i'm not very keen on the forensic topic at all!
Its so hard learning 54 studies. Have you all started revsiing for the summer?

WOW. I'm doing it too! Learned around 18 studies- not thoroughly but my revision has made a slow start :p:
Reply 28
Hey anyone doing the AS papers this June?
Struggling with remembering everything. Especially don't know how to answer that question which asks what would you change and the implications.
Reply 29
How're people finding keeping within the correct timing for practice papers?
I can't get it down, beginning to worry arghh.
black_vine
Struggling with remembering everything. Especially don't know how to answer that question which asks what would you change and the implications.

I'm taking A2 but I'm retaking Core Studies as well. It seemed so difficult to remember 15 studies and 5 approaches last year, but for A2 you need to know about 70 so the retake is looking piss easy in comparison to be honest :smile:
Reply 31
Haven;t revised or started proper revision. Oh heck.
Anyone else feel absolutely effed over by this exam board?

Basically, I got a grade lower than I was expecting in my Options exam in Jan, (expecting A*, ended up with borderline B) though I came out of that exam singing and dancing, thought the questions were straight forward and I had revised really hard for it so it was such a relief opening that paper. The college overall had bad marks in Psych, so the head of Psych asked for some papers to be recalled, one of them being mine. Now, I've not properly spoken with him yet, we're gonna go over it tomorrow, but he said there is no way I lost as many marks as I did and that my answers were fine, infact many of the college papers were marked unfairly as he's crosschecked them with several other schools (he's a bigwig in the Psych teacher world, has a lot of connections etc). But OCR won't touch us with a barge pole. They re-marked all our papers and nothing changed but he genuinely believes mine is wrong. But they won't have anything to do with my paper, look at it, check it again, nothing. I can see why in a way, one student and a few teachers kicking off doesn't make a difference to them but this is my future here. If they pull a stunt like that again in June, I won't get into uni as I need an A in Psych. I feel like giving up, I have zero confidence in this subject that a. I'll be doing at uni and b. I have always been good at.
ciderxwithxrosie
Anyone else feel absolutely effed over by this exam board?

Basically, I got a grade lower than I was expecting in my Options exam in Jan, (expecting A*, ended up with borderline B) though I came out of that exam singing and dancing, thought the questions were straight forward and I had revised really hard for it so it was such a relief opening that paper. The college overall had bad marks in Psych, so the head of Psych asked for some papers to be recalled, one of them being mine. Now, I've not properly spoken with him yet, we're gonna go over it tomorrow, but he said there is no way I lost as many marks as I did and that my answers were fine, infact many of the college papers were marked unfairly as he's crosschecked them with several other schools (he's a bigwig in the Psych teacher world, has a lot of connections etc). But OCR won't touch us with a barge pole. They re-marked all our papers and nothing changed but he genuinely believes mine is wrong. But they won't have anything to do with my paper, look at it, check it again, nothing. I can see why in a way, one student and a few teachers kicking off doesn't make a difference to them but this is my future here. If they pull a stunt like that again in June, I won't get into uni as I need an A in Psych. I feel like giving up, I have zero confidence in this subject that a. I'll be doing at uni and b. I have always been good at.

They have been quite tough markers, but I'm quite happy with the way that they've marked all my papers. I got two Bs last year which I'm retaking, but to be fair I probably deserved the Bs, and I got a solid A in January which I feel is fair considering how hard I worked. Maybe your school just got one really tough marker. I do like OCR though for the fact that they don't just seem to be giving away qualifications like lots of other exam boards seem to be, you actually have to earn them and answer really well on our course.
becomingbindy
They have been quite tough markers, but I'm quite happy with the way that they've marked all my papers. I got two Bs last year which I'm retaking, but to be fair I probably deserved the Bs, and I got a solid A in January which I feel is fair considering how hard I worked. Maybe your school just got one really tough marker. I do like OCR though for the fact that they don't just seem to be giving away qualifications like lots of other exam boards seem to be, you actually have to earn them and answer really well on our course.

Aye, I'm pretty sure of that. My teacher was explaining to me that nowadays, a lot of examiners aren't even teachers. They just get employed to do it and therefore haven't had experience with teaching and marking, therefore they stick solely to the marks scheme and if something is perhaps worded differently or takes a different angle but is the same argument, it gets missed.

Congrats on your A by the way :smile:

I've really liked all the OCR papers we've had and I personally have never had a problem with them in the past (some people in my college were again, harshly marked last year) but these exams are the biggies, the ones I can't afford to get wrong.

Anyway don't mind me, just venting. Am seeing him tomorrow I think to go over the paper instead.
black_vine

Yeah, I'm taking the Core Studies one. :yep:

I hate those questions with a passion; not being very creative (or having what you might call an 'active' imagination), I really struggle to think of any changes to make to the method, let alone the implications they would have on the results. :s-smilie:

How are you finding the time limit? I'm finding it difficult to finish the whole paper on time in only (:p:!) 2 hours. We've done Section B and C essays in class and I've always struggled to stick to the 'minute-a-mark' plan that my teacher goes on about. :/
Reply 36
Introverted moron
Yeah, I'm taking the Core Studies one. :yep:

I hate those questions with a passion; not being very creative (or having what you might call an 'active' imagination), I really struggle to think of any changes to make to the method, let alone the implications they would have on the results. :s-smilie:

How are you finding the time limit? I'm finding it difficult to finish the whole paper on time in only (:p:!) 2 hours. We've done Section B and C essays in class and I've always struggled to stick to the 'minute-a-mark' plan that my teacher goes on about. :/

I know right! I find those questions tough, but you know what? I emailed myself a word document my teacher made on that. I haven't looked at it yet so I don't know if it's good or not but I will post it up here, later tonight!

I haven't yet done a full 2hr paper yet. As a class we've done 2 mocks, lately a shortened 1hr version which contained all 3 sections, but much less section A questions. I struggled on time for one of them.
I guess it's just practice, practive, practise but that can be so hard with other subjects to do :frown:

UPDATE: Here you go guys, alternative methods!
black_vine
I know right! I find those questions tough, but you know what? I emailed myself a word document my teacher made on that. I haven't looked at it yet so I don't know if it's good or not but I will post it up here, later tonight!

I haven't yet done a full 2hr paper yet. As a class we've done 2 mocks, lately a shortened 1hr version which contained all 3 sections, but much less section A questions. I struggled on time for one of them.
I guess it's just practice, practive, practise but that can be so hard with other subjects to do :frown:

UPDATE: Here you go guys, alternative methods!

You are a genius- or rather, your teacher is! :p: Thanks very much for that. I would rep you, but my rep is worth nothing, so that would be pointless, but you can have my personal rep. :wink:

That looks good to me, but you do know what will happen now though...? Now that you've loaded the document onto TSR for all to see, we're all going to end up writing the same answers to that particular question in the exam. :yes: ......not that that's a bad thing. :p:

I know what you mean. We did a 1 hour mock on Section A yesterday and I realised that is the section that I need to work quickest through to leave more time for Section B and C because I sure as hell won't finish both those sections in an hour. I guess the only way that will happen is if I know all the studies really well.....which means doing a hell of a lot more revision than I'm doing now. I honestly don't understand how OCR expect us to be able to write such long answers as the ones they've given on their 'candidate-style answers' in the given 2 hour time limit. :/
Reply 38
Hey, I've got the AS Core Studies exam coming up on the 10th of June, I was just wondering where I could find any past papers on the new specification from the last two years? Many thanks.
OllieCT
Hey, I've got the AS Core Studies exam coming up on the 10th of June, I was just wondering where I could find any past papers on the new specification from the last two years? Many thanks.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_09_jan/ocr_34842_pp_09_jan_gce_g542_01.pdf

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_09_jun/ocr_41616_pp_09_jun_gce_g542_01.pdf

The mark schemes can for these papers can be found on the OCR website. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending