The Student Room Group

Do stones repel snow?

Not sure if this is the right forum mods...do move it otherwise.

Basically I saw a few small stones (about 2cm big roughly) with a small circle (about 5cm diameter) of no snow around them. Does anyone know how this happens? :confused:

This thread can go two ways..either a LOL fest or a correct scientific explanation!

Scroll to see replies

Something to do with that they have a lower specific heat capacity so heat up faster than surrounding stuff?

I might be very wrong but it's similar to what I've learnt...
Reply 2
jon838
Not sure if this is the right forum mods...do move it otherwise.

Basically I saw a few small stones (about 2cm big roughly) with a small circle (about 5cm diameter) of no snow around them. Does anyone know how this happens? :confused:

snowballs can have stones in them
Reply 3
Who do you care? :curious:
NO!

Stone is particularly vulnerable to snow and ice!

Did you learn nothing from pokemon????

Spoiler

Reply 5
lol wtf
rrea436
snowballs can have stones in them

And boy, do they work.
Reply 7
Snow falls at angles. The stone blocks the snow.
Reply 8
lozz2601
Something to do with that they have a lower specific heat capacity so heat up faster than surrounding stuff?

I might be very wrong but it's similar to what I've learnt...

that might be it.
isn't it just because less snow falls in the shadow of the stones?
Reply 10
Stones generate a snow repelling forcefield around them, hence causing the effect you see when snow starts to pour on the ground. I thought this was common knowledge people...
Reply 11
Lou Reed
Stones and snow are both positively charged, hence repulsion. Didn't you know?

is this true...:confused:

EssexDan86
isn't it just because less snow falls in the shadow of the stones?

but there is loads of snow surrounding the stones.
Reply 12
Stones dont like the cold.
Reply 13
The stones might have offered the ground some protection from the snow. :dontknow:
To be honest it sounds like the kind of thing a particular type of prankster might do to confuse others.

BeanofJelly
NO! Stone is particularly vulnerable to snow and ice! Did you learn nothing from pokemon????

:facepalm2:

Wrong way round!
I've seen this before :beard: so the OP isn't crazy (or we both are :facepalm2:). Can't be done by the stone shadowing the snow (because it's in a circle round the stone - not just one side), and it's not buildings either. It's literally a couple of centimetres of no snow round the edge of a stone (well, pebble is probably a more accurate representation of where I've noticed it). :holmes:
Reply 15
BJack

To be honest it sounds like the kind of thing a particular type of prankster might do to confuse others.

Wrong way round!

yeah but is it is usually in different places. I have seen it on different pavements. I just wondered how it is possible?:confused:
No bigger than the 2cm stones.
BJack

Wrong way round!

My God you're right

OP this solves the problem
Reply 17
because Stone Cold said so
Reply 18
secretmessages
I've seen this before :beard: so the OP isn't crazy (or we both are :facepalm2:). Can't be done by the stone shadowing the snow (because it's in a circle round the stone - not just one side), and it's not buildings either. It's literally a couple of centimetres of no snow round the edge of a stone (well, pebble is probably a more accurate representation of where I've noticed it). :holmes:

ha!, yeah.:yes:
Reply 19
jon838
is this true...:confused:

but there is loads of snow surrounding the stones.

Yes i can confirm that it is true there is snow surrounding the stones because the negative charge of the ground cancels out the possitve charge of the rock so there is no force acting on it.

Latest