The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Opinions on my offer college? St Marys

Hey guys,

Okay, so I got an offer for International Relations at Durham which I am really really happy for - actually, this might even become my firm choice. But I need some help ...

I got an offer from St Mary's college, and I just want to get some opinions on it. I don't hear many people talking about Marys as a college, and I'm not sure about its reputation and so on.

I'm a guy who likes a good combination of partying and studying. I currently live overseas, and would like an international and very strong community feeling at my college. I don't want a college that's too traditional, but still with some traditions remaining ... how does this suit for Mary's?

Also,
I am unable to locate the Politics and Intl Relations department on the Durham map (is it just me?) but I heard it's fairly close to Mary's - is this true?

And and and, I heard Mary's bar is not so good. Is this true? :frown: Is it possible to party at Marys?

Any opinions would be appreciated - any other Marys applicants, offer holders or current students?? How do you think Mary's suit me?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Verden
Hey guys,

Okay, so I got an offer for International Relations at Durham which I am really really happy for - actually, this might even become my firm choice. But I need some help ...

I got an offer from St Mary's college, and I just want to get some opinions on it. I don't hear many people talking about Marys as a college, and I'm not sure about its reputation and so on.

I'm a guy who likes a good combination of partying and studying. I currently live overseas, and would like an international and very strong community feeling at my college. I don't want a college that's too traditional, but still with some traditions remaining ... how does this suit for Mary's?

Also,
I am unable to locate the Politics and Intl Relations department on the Durham map (is it just me?) but I heard it's fairly close to Mary's - is this true?

And and and, I heard Mary's bar is not so good. Is this true? :frown: Is it possible to party at Marys?

Any opinions would be appreciated - any other Marys applicants, offer holders or current students?? How do you think Mary's suit me?

Thanks!

I'm a current student, not at Marys but I have friends there. Personally, I like it and would be happy to go there myself.

It sounds like Marys will suit you just fine, though as always it's worth noting that you'd probably find any college equally good :wink:

Marys is as international as any college except Ustinov, perhaps more than many because of international students being pooled there (after not specifying a college), though I don't know how big this effect is.

Marys has its share of traditions. As a hill college it isn't nearly as traditional as the Bailey ones, but it's had long enough to rack some up.

The bar really is not great, but hey, what kind of social life would it be to only ever hang out in your college bar. This part of the college can be overrated, you'll spend plenty of time everywhere else if you like that sort of thing. It's no real handicap.

Not sure where your department is, but even the furthest away buildings are only a 20 minute walk, and I'm fairly sure you're right about it being much closer than that. Nothing in Durham is far away from anything else.

Congratulations on the offer :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Mary's is the Baileys of the Hills colleges. it's the 3rd oldest college in Durham Uni and oldest only-femaie-college in Durham (used to be!)... I might be wrong but from what I heard, it's former location was where Cuth's is now. This is the reason why Mary's and Cuth's have a good relationship.

As the 3rd oldest college, im certain it has good traditions. the only weakness that i see is the college bar... u can always go to trevs bar in any event!
Reply 3
Verden
Hey guys,

Also,

Thanks!

It's a nice college, not massively party-heavy, but from what I gather people certainly aren't anti-social either. I just remember in fresher's week stumbling across a schoolfriend at Mary's when I was very drunk and he hadn't even started drinking... To be honest at any college you have some people who love to party/go out and some who don't. Mary's has some of both I think.

The bar is pretty poor, but it doesn't matter THAT much. It still sells drinks, and does sell toasties, which is something Cuth's bar could do with!

There is a good balance between tradition and non-tradition at Mary's too. And yes, your department is quite close to the college.
A friend of mine from Mary's once told me he likes the bar because its smallness means it doesn't get a lot of traffic from non-Mary's people, so it's just like having a bar in your living room. :h:

Lots of the people I know from the college are fairly hard drinkers so it is certainly possible to party. I think it's a really pretty college too.
Reply 5
Thanks for the opinions, guys! It seems like I will do just fine there, and looking at photos the college does look really nice!
I only like to party occassionaly anyways, so a good combination of people sounds great at Marys :smile:

Also, how much time do you guys spend in the town (Bailey) that are non-academic? Is it better to be close to the Bailey in terms of fun and facilities available?
Reply 6
You're at Cuths? I was really considering applying there and can't really remember what stopped me. It seems like a really nice college, although larger than Marys. Can you tell me more about the student atmosphere at Cuths compared to Marys?

I heard of people changing colleges after they got their offers? To what extent is this possible?

I've started reading about Marys and it does seem like a really cool place. I'm sure I'll have a great time there and the facilities are beautiful!

Cheers

DougieG
It's a nice college, not massively party-heavy, but from what I gather people certainly aren't anti-social either. I just remember in fresher's week stumbling across a schoolfriend at Mary's when I was very drunk and he hadn't even started drinking... To be honest at any college you have some people who love to party/go out and some who don't. Mary's has some of both I think.

The bar is pretty poor, but it doesn't matter THAT much. It still sells drinks, and does sell toasties, which is something Cuth's bar could do with!

There is a good balance between tradition and non-tradition at Mary's too. And yes, your department is quite close to the college.
Reply 7
Verden
Also, how much time do you guys spend in the town (Bailey) that are non-academic? Is it better to be close to the Bailey in terms of fun and facilities available?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, but regardless you're extremely close to the Bailey anyway.
Reply 8
dring
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, but regardless you're extremely close to the Bailey anyway.

Hahaha neither I am. I just wanted to know if it was worth choosing a college right on the Bailey in terms of shops, restaurants, etc.
But looking at the map, Marys is not that far away anyways, so I think I'll survive :P

Durham, here I come :cool:
Reply 9
Verden
You're at Cuths? I was really considering applying there and can't really remember what stopped me. It seems like a really nice college, although larger than Marys. Can you tell me more about the student atmosphere at Cuths compared to Marys?

I heard of people changing colleges after they got their offers? To what extent is this possible?

I've started reading about Marys and it does seem like a really cool place. I'm sure I'll have a great time there and the facilities are beautiful!

Cheers

Well if you want to change, I think you can phone up Cuth's and see if they will take you, then phone up Mary's and tell them if Cuth's say yes. You'd enjoy Cuth's I think, it's not very traditional and has a reputation as a party college. The only thing is that the sites are split, and if you want to be catered it is not guaranteed that you can be. The atmosphere is different because we live in houses on the Bailey of around 20 people, which is your immediate social group. Mary's have corridors which are smaller but this can be better as it is possibly tighter. To be honest, I don't know a massive amount about Mary's, I think I've told you practically everything I know about it now!
Reply 10
Verden
Thanks for the opinions, guys! It seems like I will do just fine there, and looking at photos the college does look really nice!
I only like to party occassionaly anyways, so a good combination of people sounds great at Marys :smile:

Doesn't make much difference, especially since Mary's is quite close anyway. I go into town maybe twice a week to get books, stationary, food/beer at Tesco or whatever. At night, clubs are closer from the bailey but it is still less than fifteen minutes from Mary's.
Reply 11
Hey! What are the chances.. I got an offer for Mary's too for International Relations.. and a fellow international student.

I actually got a chance to go for the Open Day over my March break. It has all the things you're looking for.. The politics department is literally across the road from the college. I was talking to an open day rep who is in politics and she said that she literally wakes up at 8:45 for a 9 am lecture.

Its pretty close to town.. well Marys is kinda at the foot of the 'hill' sort of speak. I got a chance to walk around and the walk from Marys to city center is around 10 minutes.

In terms of the bar, it's really cozy.. and great for pre-drinking before going out. the prices are really cheap.. well compare to Canada. They took us to a club that night. the club was bigger than i thought it would be, and there were tons of other people from other colleges too. Everything is within walking distance.. we ended up walking back to mary's at like 2 am and it was kinda refreshing to be outside after being in a club for a long time.

Hope this helps!!
Reply 12
He he, the Open Day tactics won you over then. It's not for everyone, but it's a good laugh.
Durham can be really cool and friendly for clubbing. Most clubs, especially the famous student-only Klute, have 'college nights'. For example if I'm out on a Monday night and decide to carry on to a club, I can go to Klute knowing it will be full of Cuthbert's students and so I'll know several people there, any week. You'll soon learn when Mary's Klute night is.
Then there are the bar crawls, run by colleges and societies, with various themes. When a group comes into the bar it's fun to guess what the theme is.

I'm currently in Canada(Vancouver) in a year abroad from Durham.
Verden
Hahaha neither I am. I just wanted to know if it was worth choosing a college right on the Bailey in terms of shops, restaurants, etc.
But looking at the map, Marys is not that far away anyways, so I think I'll survive :P

Durham, here I come :cool:

I don't think anyone exactly responded to you on that point, so:

I'm at Trevs, next door to Mary's, so it's similar positioning, except you're slightly closer to everywhere - I've got to go around. :p:

I find I go into town about once a week for shops, once or twice a term for meals out, and end up going down at least as far as the DSU in the evenings 3/4 times a week (for clubbing or societies).

The walk really isn't bad at all (once you get used to the hill...) - I swear it gets shorter every time you take it. So yeah, it's fine for that. :o:
Doesn't marys have some random policy of room changes every term. That must be a right pain in the ass...
Crimsonchilli
Doesn't marys have some random policy of room changes every term. That must be a right pain in the ass...

It's not the only college that does that, Trevs does too, not sure about anywhere else. It's to make the system fairer as it means you only have to share one term and not the whole year like at, say, Aidans, if you're chosen to share in the first term. It's not that bad really, if it's anything like at Trevs at xmas we move things over a few days before xmas so we can leave stuff, and at easter everyone has to take everything whatever college they're at cos of the open days.

However, international students don't have to move rooms every term and can leave stuff in storage. At Trevs anyway, not sure about Marys.
purple-girl
It's not the only college that does that, Trevs does too, not sure about anywhere else. It's to make the system fairer as it means you only have to share one term and not the whole year like at, say, Aidans, if you're chosen to share in the first term. It's not that bad really, if it's anything like at Trevs at xmas we move things over a few days before xmas so we can leave stuff, and at easter everyone has to take everything whatever college they're at cos of the open days.

However, international students don't have to move rooms every term and can leave stuff in storage. At Trevs anyway, not sure about Marys.

so does that mean your fairly likely to share a room for at least 1 term ?
Not sure about Mary's, but at Trevs...yes. But then again, here there're quite a few people that end up not sharing at all, and some people choose to share twice or more. Looks like Mary's has about the same number of shared rooms as Trevs so I'd guess it's quite likely you'd share, but internationals don't tend to unless they want to.
Reply 18
do they have some survey for roommates or do they randomly pick for you?
Reply 19
Most colleges (probably all) do a basic survey to match people - it isn't random.

Latest