The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

yoyo462001
What is the course theyve given you an offer for?

Politics.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Polrs
Hi there,

I've got accepted to Exeter to study psychology so at the moment i'm trying to do some research into accommodation at Exeter and was wondering if you could please help, this is the kind of thing i'm looking for...

- In or very very close to Streatham campus
- Very social
- Self catered preferably (but don't mind catered)
- Ensuite

Thanks!

Penny C is the good self catered accomm i think, although I'm catered so I'm not particularly sure, I know it's very popular though so you might not want to pin all of your hopes on getting in there. Holland and Birks are Catered ensuite halls, both are a bit jack willsy but if you can handle that i'd go for one of them. Holland is less of a walk to campus, but again is VERY popular and lots of people apply there but don't get in. I don't think any of the big halls are unsocial, so go for one that has a lot of people in them. Seems straight forward enough but no one ever thinks of that.
Ensuites are expensive and if you go catered it means about £180 a week (£120 i think for self catered), are you that desperate for an ensuite because the money you would save really comes in helpful and sharing bathrooms ins't that bad, for example Lafrowda is known for being very social.
Reply 22
Polrs
Hi there,

I've got accepted to Exeter to study psychology so at the moment i'm trying to do some research into accommodation at Exeter and was wondering if you could please help, this is the kind of thing i'm looking for...

- In or very very close to Streatham campus
- Very social
- Self catered preferably (but don't mind catered)
- Ensuite

Thanks!

Rowe House and St Germans probably fit your description best, but from the people I know in Rowe it's not as social as say Lafrowda. It's difficult to define what you mean by social though, a lot of it just really depends on if you get on with your flatmates or not.
Reply 23
**EM**
Penny C is the good self catered accomm i think, although I'm catered so I'm not particularly sure, I know it's very popular though so you might not want to pin all of your hopes on getting in there.

Penny C is catered too, they eat at Lopes hall.
I've heard good things about St Germans. However as Peanut42 said, as for it being social it depends on your flatmates more than the place itself.
Reply 24
paddy__power
I am going to be living on just the loans/bursarys I will be given.

1) Is there much opportunity to find employment
2) Is the accomodation as madly expensive as everyone says.

On the employment front, be prepared to look outside the city: the Digby & Sowton Industrial Estate is just a short train ride away (5-10 mins) and provides flexible employment.

As for accommodation: just pick sensible accommodation and you'll be fine :tongue:
Last Summer's Dream
Best catered halls= Penny C. Double beds, en-suites, balconies. No resident tutors as they live in lopes main and randy P, so you can literally get away with anything. I think we've been bothered by resident tutors once. Has the only catered smoking block and the badger is definitely the best pub in halls.

I think it depends on what you're like at spending. I spent £4,500 in my first term and that literally just went on going out, eating out, buying clothes/make up. I imagine if you're good at budgeting though, it's not too expensive to live here.

Please tell me you're joking? Thats absolutely ridiculous! Thats a years worth of rent and food for me! I don't even spend £50 a week on going out or buying things for myself.
Reply 26
You are just the kind of person I was looking for :smile:
Here are my questions:
1) What can I expect the nigthlife to be like? You've probably been asked this question several times already. But I want details:biggrin:. I come from London so I know that there isn't going to be as much choice but I like the sort of environment where you'll go clubbing and you'll always meet someone that you know there (I'm sure that's how it'll be at Exeter) - I want to go nuts:smile:
2) Are parties within accommodation usually allowed?
3)As a non-drinking, non-smoking person - I'm guessing I'll be seen as being a bit of a killjoy but I'm far from it - This won't hinder how quickly I settle into university life, will it?
4) What about other types of Entertainment such as gigs and stand-up comedy? How often do these happen? I heard that the Guild is one of the best places for entertainment - what big names have you had and will you have playing in the future? Do up and coming band play too? (I can help but think the Exeter is the one place many bands don't play in when on tour)
5) Would you say that there are a lot of snobbish public school students who look down to state school students? Or perhaps that there is a large majority of them? Coming from an inner-city state school and being of ethnic minority, I'd hate to be singled out or isolated from the crowd (I've heard quite a few things). This is probably the single issue stopping me from firming my offer.
6) Accommodation. I am hoping to be put in self-catered, ensuite accommodation, where do you think the most sociable atomsphere is on campus? I've heard that Lafrowda is good.

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:
Reply 27
Lanesra
You are just the kind of person I was looking for :smile:
Here are my questions:
1) What can I expect the nigthlife to be like? You've probably been asked this question several times already. But I want details:biggrin:. I come from London so I know that there isn't going to be as much choice but I like the sort of environment where you'll go clubbing and you'll always meet someone that you know there (I'm sure that's how it'll be at Exeter) - I want to go nuts:smile:
2) Are parties within accommodation usually allowed?
3)As a non-drinking, non-smoking person - I'm guessing I'll be seen as being a bit of a killjoy but I'm far from it - This won't hinder how quickly I settle into university life, will it?
4) What about other types of Entertainment such as gigs and stand-up comedy? How often do these happen? I heard that the Guild is one of the best places for entertainment - what big names have you had and will you have playing in the future? Do up and coming band play too? (I can help but think the Exeter is the one place many bands don't play in when on tour)
5) Would you say that there are a lot of snobbish public school students who look down to state school students? Or perhaps that there is a large majority of them? Coming from an inner-city state school and being of ethnic minority, I'd hate to be singled out or isolated from the crowd (I've heard quite a few things). This is probably the single issue stopping me from firming my offer.
6) Accommodation. I am hoping to be put in self-catered, ensuite accommodation, where do you think the most sociable atomsphere is on campus? I've heard that Lafrowda is good.

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

1) There are like 4 Clubs in Exeter, they all have a designated student night of the week (although some have two), this gives you choice but the clubs are definitely on the small side, I don't come from a massive city (worcester) but still find that we have much larger clubs. That said they are pretty cool, there is something for everyone (time piece for example has an amazing indie night, and Arena plays a lot of dance on dress-up Mondays). Places here shut at 2am in the week which I find odd, but tbh thats fine because you start earlier and it still means you can get up for your 9am lecture.

2) I'm in catered halls and at the start of the year they give you a load of crap like NO PARTIES! (a party apparently constituting more than 5 people in a room), but the resident tutors (people who live in your building), are pretty cool about it on the weekend and ok in the week, they turn a blind eye unless you are blasting music and screaming down the halls at 3am. That said don't take the piss with the resident tutors because sometimes you need them to turn a blind eye to things and if they have you marked as someone they have repeatedly warned about noise ect they are less willing.We prelash in halls and 90% don't get told of for having a party-ish.

3) for a start I haven't encountered that many smokers, so don't worry there. Also I have met a guy that doesn't drink, in freshers he just said "look I go clubbing and stuff I just am t-total". It's not an issue, I know there are a lot of drinking games etc but not everyone is expected to join in and I don't think you will be judged for it. Sports team initiations are pretty drink fuelled but if you tell them you don't drink at the start no one is going to make a big deal of it. Be careful that you don't end up the "sober friend" though, (by that I mean you aree the one that is relied upon to carry drunk friends home).

4)There are loads of plays on in the theatre on campus which you get pretty good discount on, there is also the phoenix which has a few decent comedians showing, I'm talking Russell Howard level of fame maybe. We've had bowling for soup and Dizzee here recently (there was another good one but I can't for the life of me remember who), anyway it's all on the internet somewhere if you google it.

5)Firstly if you choose to live somewhere like Lafrowda I doubt you will encounter many particularly snobbish people. I'm not going to lie though, exeter is rah. But i'm from a state school and own nothing from jack wills (ha) but have had no trouble fitting in, even with people who are particularly rah-ish. It's not a big thing here, everyone knows no one so you are all in the "quick i have to make lots of friends NOW boat", people aren't that discriminative, you find the odd ****, but on the whole it's fine.

6) I'm in catered so I don't know much about sc halls, but Lafrowda has a rep for being very socialable and not rah at all.

hope i've been a help
x
Reply 28
I'll just respond to the two questions I most identify with :smile:
LAFROWDA IS FANTASTIC :biggrin: Choose it and win :p:
Secondly, like you, I've never been much of a drinking and smoking kind of person either, and while it didn't impede my ability to make friends, you may have to try a little bit harder, get involved in more societies etc. I had a blast, but it was because I joined a stupid amount of societies and put the effort in.
Reply 29
**EM**
Penny C is the good self catered accomm i think, although I'm catered so I'm not particularly sure, I know it's very popular though so you might not want to pin all of your hopes on getting in there. Holland and Birks are Catered ensuite halls, both are a bit jack willsy but if you can handle that i'd go for one of them. Holland is less of a walk to campus, but again is VERY popular and lots of people apply there but don't get in. I don't think any of the big halls are unsocial, so go for one that has a lot of people in them. Seems straight forward enough but no one ever thinks of that.
Ensuites are expensive and if you go catered it means about £180 a week (£120 i think for self catered), are you that desperate for an ensuite because the money you would save really comes in helpful and sharing bathrooms ins't that bad, for example Lafrowda is known for being very social.

Thanks for the advice- very helpful!

On the Exeter website, Penny C is listed under catered not self catered? It sounds pretty good to me.

Having a look at the catered accommodation that has ensuite rooms Holland Hall, Birks and Hope Hall all look pretty good to me. Is there much difference between them? If I were to go for catered i'd choose one of these, but no idea which one as they seem similar?

As for self catered, i've heard that St German's is pretty quiet which I don't think i'd like, but is Rowe House the same?

Northfield looks really perfect to me, but nobody seems to have mentioned it before. Does anyone know much about it?

Sorry for all the questions!
Reply 30
Penny C is catered. And as someone who's done both I don't think catered can ever be good. It's usually just appalling value for money :p:

If I had to go catered, though, I'd definitely pick Hope Hall. I stayed there once for a conference (I have also stayed in Holland Hall once) and while the food is of usual catered standards, it definitely seems the nicest, most traditional, and one of the most well-located and affordable catered halls. There's also no stigma attached like there is with some of the other catered halls; don't think I know anyone who would be embarrassed or ashamed or wary of saying they lived there. Holland Hall and Birks are more expensive and not as well located, though I'd imagine that the food is much the same across all three. Those two are also ensuite, while Hope is not.

Not sure really that there's much difference between St Germans and Rowe in terms of atmosphere, though of course people should correct me if I'm wrong. I lived in St G and it was pretty quiet (unless you were unfortunate enough to live above my flatmate), and I had friends who lived in Rowe, none of whom ever really reported it as party central (but then again this was when uni accommodation was still open to returners, so given looming finals maybe we just weren't the partying kind :p: Now it's all first years again so may be different).
Polrs
Thanks for the advice- very helpful!

On the Exeter website, Penny C is listed under catered not self catered? It sounds pretty good to me.

Having a look at the catered accommodation that has ensuite rooms Holland Hall, Birks and Hope Hall all look pretty good to me. Is there much difference between them? If I were to go for catered i'd choose one of these, but no idea which one as they seem similar?

As for self catered, i've heard that St German's is pretty quiet which I don't think i'd like, but is Rowe House the same?

Northfield looks really perfect to me, but nobody seems to have mentioned it before. Does anyone know much about it?

Sorry for all the questions!

Pick Penny C. Trust me.

Northfield is really nice. I have a friend there. It's off campus (although not too far off campus) and not owned by the uni.
Reply 32
**EM**
1) There are like 4 Clubs in Exeter, they all have a designated student night of the week (although some have two), this gives you choice but the clubs are definitely on the small side, I don't come from a massive city (worcester) but still find that we have much larger clubs. That said they are pretty cool, there is something for everyone (time piece for example has an amazing indie night, and Arena plays a lot of dance on dress-up Mondays). Places here shut at 2am in the week which I find odd, but tbh thats fine because you start earlier and it still means you can get up for your 9am lecture.

2) I'm in catered halls and at the start of the year they give you a load of crap like NO PARTIES! (a party apparently constituting more than 5 people in a room), but the resident tutors (people who live in your building), are pretty cool about it on the weekend and ok in the week, they turn a blind eye unless you are blasting music and screaming down the halls at 3am. That said don't take the piss with the resident tutors because sometimes you need them to turn a blind eye to things and if they have you marked as someone they have repeatedly warned about noise ect they are less willing.We prelash in halls and 90% don't get told of for having a party-ish.

3) for a start I haven't encountered that many smokers, so don't worry there. Also I have met a guy that doesn't drink, in freshers he just said "look I go clubbing and stuff I just am t-total". It's not an issue, I know there are a lot of drinking games etc but not everyone is expected to join in and I don't think you will be judged for it. Sports team initiations are pretty drink fuelled but if you tell them you don't drink at the start no one is going to make a big deal of it. Be careful that you don't end up the "sober friend" though, (by that I mean you aree the one that is relied upon to carry drunk friends home).

4)There are loads of plays on in the theatre on campus which you get pretty good discount on, there is also the phoenix which has a few decent comedians showing, I'm talking Russell Howard level of fame maybe. We've had bowling for soup and Dizzee here recently (there was another good one but I can't for the life of me remember who), anyway it's all on the internet somewhere if you google it.

5)Firstly if you choose to live somewhere like Lafrowda I doubt you will encounter many particularly snobbish people. I'm not going to lie though, exeter is rah. But i'm from a state school and own nothing from jack wills (ha) but have had no trouble fitting in, even with people who are particularly rah-ish. It's not a big thing here, everyone knows no one so you are all in the "quick i have to make lots of friends NOW boat", people aren't that discriminative, you find the odd ****, but on the whole it's fine.

6) I'm in catered so I don't know much about sc halls, but Lafrowda has a rep for being very socialable and not rah at all.

hope i've been a help
x

Thanks a lot, that it was really helpful.
I really like Exeter - but I'll be making my mind up when I visit again for the Post-offer open day.
About the Rah issue - I guess it's like going to Oxbridge, Durham etc I can't avoid the snobbish sorts all my life can I?
I'll definitely be coming to you again if I have any questions.
Thanks again.
Reply 33
Please can you name everything you don't like about Exeter and why? This'd be very helpful :3
Muffinz
Please can you name everything you don't like about Exeter and why? This'd be very helpful :3

I am in my first year and tbh, so far I have nothing I don't like about Exeter. Maybe it is the wet weather but not bothering me and I screamed when I saw the snow in Jan. Maybe it is the uphill walk but then it keeps me fit all the time. Sorry I can't help you....:woo:
Reply 35
cherrycharm
I am in my first year and tbh, so far I have nothing I don't like about Exeter. Maybe it is the wet weather but not bothering me and I screamed when I saw the snow in Jan. Maybe it is the uphill walk but then it keeps me fit all the time. Sorry I can't help you....:woo:

Awesome. :3 Thank you. I was up there yeaterday, the snow was quite nice.
Angelil
On the employment front, be prepared to look outside the city: the Digby & Sowton Industrial Estate is just a short train ride away (5-10 mins) and provides flexible employment.

As for accommodation: just pick sensible accommodation and you'll be fine :tongue:

Ah ok then thank you =]

<3
Reply 37
First of all, thank you for being so kind and helpful :smile:

I am an international student, so I'd like to know whether internationals aren't very 'seperated' from social/night life there? :biggrin: Cuz I really want to be on the move in there :biggrin:

Is it hard to study? Do lectures take long? (By the way, what's your course?)

And the most important question: how much does vodka/beer cost? :biggrin:

P. S. Is here anybody who plays for Exeter's basketball team and could tell how to be enrolled into it?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 38
Tomas2222
First of all, thank you for being so kind and helpful :smile:

I am an international student, so I'd like to know whether internationals aren't very 'seperated' from social/night life there? :biggrin: Cuz I really want to be on the move in there :biggrin:

Is it hard to study? Do lectures take long? (By the way, what's your course?)

And the most important question: how much does vodka/beer cost? :biggrin:

P. S. Is here anybody who plays for Exeter's basketball team and could tell how to be enrolled into it?

Thanks in advance.

Firstly Exeter has a "buddy system", where international student are assigned a home student to help them intergrate, this means you are able to meet more people through your buddy. But firstly try to meet people yourself, the only segragation I am aware of is that some international students prefer to hang around with only other internations and so they segrigate themselves. Country of origin is not a big deal, we're all away from home no matter if it is a 2 hour drive or an 8 hour flight.
I study accounting and finance, I have 12 hours of lectures a week and about 2 hours of independant study to do per day, it's not a lot at all, but then again I know of people with as little as 6 hours of lectures a week, all the way up to 20, it depends on the structure of the course but the less class hours you have the more independant work you are expected to do.
Exeter isn't that cheap in terms of drinking but if you stick to student nights out you can get a vodka and coke for £2 and larger for about the same, of course it all depends on where you go and on what day...
At the start of the year there is an event called the freshers' squash, this is where you sign up for societies. If you join the basketball soc then you can train and try out for the team etc, societies also being a brilliant place to meet people.
Reply 39
Though the Ram (student pub on campus) has the cheapest pint in Britain apparently. Enjoy :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending