The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Mudya
Yes because I'm only studying one science based subject which is psychology, and they prefer two, even though they ask for one. I couldn't take up the offer its just ridiculous...

Interesting. They don't give ABB offers to people with more science subjects so if they're going to give AAA offers to people with less, they should say the offer is AAA-AAB in the prospectus instead of AAB-ABB. ABB offers are very rare anyway. That is, assuming that AAA offers aren't even less common. I don't know why York isn't an AAA (or AAA/AAB) uni for psychology anyway.
Reply 21
My mates sister has done a psychologyy degree and from there she's progressed into counselling, she works in London atm and apparently get's paid ALOT
Reply 22
aliluvschoc
The thing to realise is, a lot of people who say it's a doss subject are the people who think Psychology is all about reading dreams and staring at body language.

Honestly, do most people know everything involved in the subject?

It's easy to ignore people laughing at you when you realise their opinion is based largely on misconceptions.

This, I mean I'm not at degree level yet but do a lot of extra reading/research and there are some very scientific and fascinating elements. It's great. Psychologists aren't psychics or body language people at all....
Reply 23
pooki
the thing that gets to me is when you tell people you're doing psychology and they're all like 'ohhhh, so you can read my mind then??' or 'tell me what my dream meant!!!'. i know it's said in jest but i really do feel like telling them to :snow::snow::snow::snow: off.

Agreed.
Reply 24
People just don't realise how much biology is in psychology, and how scientific it has become. I'm not going to say that it is as difficult as a subject like maths or physics, but the general public do underestimate the difficulties that there can be in psychology. I have friends currently studying psychology at university, and they're certainly not 'dossing about'. It's a shame that psychology does have a slightly negative reputation, but if you enjoy studying it then it doesn't really matter what other people think.
It depends which university it is at. If it's somewhere like UCL, York, Cambridge etc. then it will obviously be very challenging and scientific. I think the confusion comes because it is one of those courses that is taught at both top research universities and former polytechnics so some people rank it along things like media studies (not that people don't work hard for media studies, but the job prospects aren't great).

There's also the problem that people are always comparing psychologists with psychiatrists, who generally earn more hand have more relevant job opportunities.
Reply 26
I think its a more important subject than most people realize. The problem is it has loads of stigma associated with it from older generations, everything related to psychology by older generations seem to be horrible as, in the old days it seemed to be "if you feel bad mentally" go and enjoy locked-up time.

For newer generations it seems to rather be people who dont find it useful to inquire about their state of mind in general, and coupled together think that those psychologists who do investigate the mind are fraudulent and wasting your time.

Personally i think if you consider what Psychology is, the study of the mind, i think it should be rather blatant what an important field it is.

In this world there is nothing more important than the mind, nothing in this world troubles us, but our minds. People always externalize their problems stating this and that is the cause, but it is rather what effect it has on us and our minds that matters.

Once we are able to understand and use the potential of our mind i think earth will be different.

And moving on from potential of psychology, to the more practical aspects of it, as a degree. If you feel passionate about the subject, you enjoy reading it, and you have researched the career prospects and feel both are suitable to your needs, it may be relatively hard to compete in the market but if your passionate about this thing, as only you know, you will also be able to find out if it is the right thing for you.

I also think Psychology has an extremely bright future as the very thing which has limited its success in the past is what will make it glorious in the future, the difficulty in illuminating the mind is infinitely lesser than the prospect peace of reaching it
Psychology is defined as the scientific study of the human mind and its function, especially those affecting behaviour in a given context.

I think Psychology sounds quite fascinating, I guess it would be nice to study the human ' mind ' more scientifically with empirical verification so that various schools of thought can be compared. I mean I think its relationship to the 'harder' sciences like neuroscience is quite interesting.
My impression is that psychology is a well-respected subject at degree level (although not so much at A-level). Both Oxford and Cambridge offer degrees in it after all. Plus it's actually a requirement to train as a a psychologist which is a well-respected profession. Indeed trainee clinical psychologists are funded relatively generously by the NHS.
I think they're fantastic :teehee:
Its like, sooooo cool! :wink:

But I'm slightly biased. Then again, this has been posted in the psychology subforum so surely most will say its good because they are most likely studying psychology themselves? But I agree with the comments about people calling it doss often because they don't understand it.
Usually deluded about becoming a "Devlopmontol Clincul Forrsensic NeuroPsychologost".
Reply 32
Mudya

People say Psychology is a ‘doss’ subject and isn’t worth taking because it isn’t a credible degree. And there is always that issue about struggling to find a job in psychology after you have completed undergraduate and postgraduate training, due to its highly competitive nature.

But I'm sick and tired of hearing the same old crap! Why does it matter what degree you are taking as long as you are happy? There are many candidates taking the degree because people simply love it!
Yes I understand that to some extent it isn’t as hard compared to Medicine or other purely science subjects, but what does that have to do with psychology being a great subject?

It isn’t just Psychology but generally any non-science degree that people frown upon. So what do you think about people who study Psychology?

Let’s have an honest discussion...

I'm surprised by your York offer too. When did you get your offer?
With the huge numbers of psychology students from completely different backgrounds you may as well ask "What is your opinion of humankind?".

The answer to both is: You get a lot of women, and most complain about doing research methods.
My flatmate from first year did Psychology and boy was she craaazy....

but my general opinion of Psychology students isn't really a bad one. My friend who is a grad said that it depends what Uni you do Psychology at - some are good, most are bad (her words not mine).

It is a bit frustrating that a few of my friends who are third year Psychologists are only in 3-4 hours a week...... GRRR!!!!! I don't understand that at all.
blinkbelle

It is a bit frustrating that a few of my friends who are third year Psychologists are only in 3-4 hours a week...... GRRR!!!!! I don't understand that at all.

:lolwut: Do they actually go to their lectures? I'm going to be swamped in my third year.
GodspeedGehenna
:lolwut: Do they actually go to their lectures? I'm going to be swamped in my third year.

Yeah I think so.... It just really frustrates me, as this term I'm in ~19 hours/week!
Reply 37
GodspeedGehenna

I would have though 3rd year would be a lot more hours, I do more than that and I'm only 1st year. :s-smilie:

I wonder what university it is...
aliluvschoc
I would have though 3rd year would be a lot more hours, I do more than that and I'm only 1st year. :s-smilie:

I wonder what university it is...

Erm, check my profile?! Its Leicester Uni.

People generally have less hours in third year because of dissertations..
Reply 39
blinkbelle
Erm, check my profile?! Its Leicester Uni.

People generally have less hours in third year because of dissertations..

Erm, ta?!

Latest