The Student Room Group

RETAKES!! Will i make the grade i want

OKAY so im doing Sociology AS retake Next friday

I got a C after being predicted an A, I'm doing AQA and the teacher that teached Famillies & Households didnt teach anything after Childhood so obviously alot of knowledge was missing!

In the Education Paper I got a C 82/120 which is 68% and a B was 70% so i missed it by 2%

In the Families & Household paper i got a D 43/80 which is 53% a D was 50% So i bairly made it.

I'm retaking the families & household paper next friday and aiming for an overal A or B

JUST WONDERING whether any of you think this is possible and what do you think i'll have to be aiming to get in this paper to pull that C up

because of that D i bairly crapped an overal C

The ground boundries was: A:80% B:70% C:60% D:50% E:40%

Scroll to see replies

No. You be stupid. GARGH!
Reply 2
I think to pull your grade up to a B if your only retaking the Families & Household paper then your going to have to get a good A in that paper. Because you not only have to pull ur D up but also have to try and pull ur C up
Reply 3
trust me its possible, just go to freeexampapers.com print past papers for sociology do the exam papers and keep practising because there is so much they can ask you and its bound to have been asked before. just practice and ull get what you want.
Are you aiming at a C overall, or higher?

I think it is definitely possible, just spend the week doing as much intensive revision as you can for your resit.Do some pratice questions to gauge what area of the module you need to focus more on and continue going over that topic.All the areas your confident in you should be able to answer in practice exams, so just spend the rest of the time you have revising the things that let you down the first time you sat the paper.

It is possible that if you get a high B in this paper that you will get a B overall, as you were only 2% off a B in the first paper.

Goodluck, im sure you will be fine.:yes:
Reply 5
b_raza
I think to pull your grade up to a B if your only retaking the Families & Household paper then your going to have to get a good A in that paper. Because you not only have to pull ur D up but also have to try and pull ur C up

I WANT THIS SOOOO BAD!:frown:

Damn think its gna be much harder than i thought got an exam on the 18th aswell i know thats gna be harder
Same as above really. If your only retaking the families and household paper, and have a C on the education paper, then you'll need an A, maybes a top B [but not sure if it would or not] to pull the C upto an overall B.
Reply 7
Emmalouise1990
Are you aiming at a C overall, or higher?

I think it is definitely possible, just spend the week doing as much intensive revision as you can for your resit.Do some pratice questions to gauge what area of the module you need to focus more on and continue going over that topic.All the areas your confident in you should be able to answer in practice exams, so just spend the rest of the time you have revising the things that let you down the first time you sat the paper.

It is possible that if you get a high B in this paper that you will get a B overall, as you were only 2% off a B in the first paper.

Goodluck, im sure you will be fine.:yes:

Thanks alot for the advise yeah im atlease aiming for a B i can see from your predicted grades and uni choices your really smart good luck with that too im just getting less and less motivated!
Reply 8
stallion007
trust me its possible, just go to freeexampapers.com print past papers for sociology do the exam papers and keep practising because there is so much they can ask you and its bound to have been asked before. just practice and ull get what you want.

THANKS WELL I GOT 8DAYS TO TURN MY LIFE AROUND
Reply 9
Holz<3
I WANT THIS SOOOO BAD!:frown:

Damn think its gna be much harder than i thought got an exam on the 18th aswell i know thats gna be harder

Yea I can imagine but make sure u revise thoroughly for your 18th exam. You need to make sure you prioritise effectively, if you do bad on this exam then.... well you can imagine the consequence as this exams harder and you can't afford to be resitting this 1 aswell in june
Reply 10
I've retaken an exam before where my original grade was U and my retake grade ended up being an A. Seriously, you can do it if you put your mind to it- just revise, keep practicing and you'll get the grade you deserve.
Reply 11
b_raza
Yea I can imagine but make sure u revise thoroughly for your 18th exam. You need to make sure you prioritise effectively, if you do bad on this exam then.... well you can imagine the consequence as this exams harder and you can't afford to be resitting this 1 aswell in june

I UNDERSTAND but im crap at structuring essays and fancy words thats what english is about
Reply 12
llacerta
I've retaken an exam before where my original grade was U and my retake grade ended up being an A. Seriously, you can do it if you put your mind to it- just revise, keep practicing and you'll get the grade you deserve.

thanks for the advise & wow u got an A i english lit retaking that also on the 18th just dont get how you revise for english i loved in english till i done ww1 literature and got a D
Reply 13
Haha yea i get you. I do AQA psychology aswell but i do psychology B. From what I know though the most marks are coming from your 10-12 mark essays. I think you do lose 1-2 marks if you don't write in continous prose. Don't concentrate too much on 'fancy' words, the examiners will be looking for the key words to do with the topic. Maybe when your revising for a certain topic ask your teacher what 10-12 mark questions are they likely to ask and practice doing them, it's revision and it'll help you get in the habit of writing essays.

Also when revising a topic get them sticky things, you know them tiny yellow coloured pads that are sticky at the top, and write the keywords from that topic and stick um onto your notes. In the exam even if you forget something and are stuck, them keywords will come into play and you can construct something from them in your essay, better than writing nothing i suppose, lol.
Reply 14
Holz<3
thanks for the advise & wow u got an A i english lit retaking that also on the 18th just dont get how you revise for english i loved in english till i done ww1 literature and got a D

My entire class is having to retake the English Lit AS exam as we weren't taught it properly first time round. Our teachers didn't mention how important 'context' was, so the highest grade anyone got in the exam was a C.

I know what you mean, though- revising for English is tricky, as it's not like you can just learn stuff off by heart and then repeat it in the exam.
Reply 15
llacerta
My entire class is having to retake the English Lit AS exam as we weren't taught it properly first time round. Our teachers didn't mention how important 'context' was, so the highest grade anyone got in the exam was a C.

I know what you mean, though- revising for English is tricky, as it's not like you can just learn stuff off by heart and then repeat it in the exam.

I DONT think any teacher expres how important context was cause i'm still failing to understand whats expected of me when i walk in to the exam on the 18th no one likes to use brain space to remember silly subject stuff from last year, but lets just hope i can do it!

The thing also was coursework everyone was told their coursework was good i was told a low b or high c when i get my result it was an e so i was either lie to or the examiner marked us down.

So how did you do it then?
Reply 16
b_raza
Haha yea i get you. I do AQA psychology aswell but i do psychology B. From what I know though the most marks are coming from your 10-12 mark essays. I think you do lose 1-2 marks if you don't write in continous prose. Don't concentrate too much on 'fancy' words, the examiners will be looking for the key words to do with the topic. Maybe when your revising for a certain topic ask your teacher what 10-12 mark questions are they likely to ask and practice doing them, it's revision and it'll help you get in the habit of writing essays.

Also when revising a topic get them sticky things, you know them tiny yellow coloured pads that are sticky at the top, and write the keywords from that topic and stick um onto your notes. In the exam even if you forget something and are stuck, them keywords will come into play and you can construct something from them in your essay, better than writing nothing i suppose, lol.

i know exactly what you mean but when i go into an exam i dont think about structure and where goes where and what fits im just trying to get everything i remember to do with the question down on the page no time for cross refferencing and so on if you get me i try my best to link though. The essay questions i can do but your right its those silly 12 marks or isit 10 :s-smilie: dont remember but thats what knocks my marks

the word has it if you got bad grammar spelling and structure chances of you getting higher than a C pretty unlikely, examiners cant be bothered to dig for your eanings, so that ecplains why i never got higher than a c in AS i lack in all 3 categories :frown:
Reply 17
Holz<3
I DONT think any teacher expres how important context was cause i'm still failing to understand whats expected of me when i walk in to the exam on the 18th no one likes to use brain space to remember silly subject stuff from last year, but lets just hope i can do it!

The thing also was coursework everyone was told their coursework was good i was told a low b or high c when i get my result it was an e so i was either lie to or the examiner marked us down.

So how did you do it then?

Well, I got a C in the exam originally and am retaking it this month. (The exam in which I first got a U and then an A was a Latin exam).

My plan is to learn some quotes off by heart, read the exam specification and give it my best shot. I don't know what else to do, really.

And ditto about the coursework, I was marked down on that too. English teachers are hopeless sometimes.
Reply 18
Holz<3
i know exactly what you mean but when i go into an exam i dont think about structure and where goes where and what fits im just trying to get everything i remember to do with the question down on the page no time for cross refferencing and so on if you get me i try my best to link though. The essay questions i can do but your right its those silly 12 marks or isit 10 :s-smilie: dont remember but thats what knocks my marks

the word has it if you got bad grammar spelling and structure chances of you getting higher than a C pretty unlikely, examiners cant be bothered to dig for your eanings, so that ecplains why i never got higher than a c in AS i lack in all 3 categories :frown:

Don't worry too much about your grammar and spelling, you can only lose max 1-2 marks on that. Where the essay issue is concerned, just start a new paragraph when moving onto a different point, but make sure you don't bullet point at any point, they'll be looking to score you down on things like that
Reply 19
llacerta
Well, I got a C in the exam originally and am retaking it this month. (The exam in which I first got a U and then an A was a Latin exam).

My plan is to learn some quotes off by heart, read the exam specification and give it my best shot. I don't know what else to do, really.

And ditto about the coursework, I was marked down on that too. English teachers are hopeless sometimes.

When your retake??

& i knew alot of quote for the prose part last year i was quoting like i wrote the book i probably slipped up in the poetry, my friend went i knowning nothing i knew all the quotes i got a D she got an A

so i guess structure matters alot also, i guess its just picking relevance :mad:, may be 2nd time lucky doubt i'd get a good mark even if i do get a B or C in the exam cause i got an E for coursework still wont really ballance it out:confused:

Latest