The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Illusionary
Probably because your income didn't exceed your personal allowance (£6,475 for most people for 2010/11).

But It did. My P60 says I was £2000 over between April '10 - '11.
Original post by sbarrie2

Original post by sbarrie2
But It did. My P60 says I was £2000 over between April '10 - '11.

In which case you may have underpaid for the year - perhaps you didn't correctly disclose all details of your employment/income at some stage. Get in touch with your tax office as otherwise you may find them chasing you in later years. A small underpayment may be able to be 'coded in' to your tax code this year, rather than paid as a lump sum.
Reply 902
In which case you may have underpaid for the year - perhaps you didn't correctly disclose all details of your employment/income at some stage. Get in touch with your tax office as otherwise you may find them chasing you in later years. A small underpayment may be able to be 'coded in' to your tax code this year, rather than paid as a lump sum.

I am currently on a gap year and working full time, do you know if I would be able to reclain my tax back when I go to uni in sept? thank you :smile: xx

Original post by bexo
I am currently on a gap year and working full time, do you know if I would be able to reclain my tax back when I go to uni in sept? thank you :smile: xx

If you're income by the time you leave the job is less than your personal allowance (£7,475 for most people for 2011/12) then probably yes. You'd need to use form P50, which requires you to declare that you don't expect to be employed for at least the nest four weeks.

Here's the form: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf
So I'm getting paid for work last week and....

£458 = Total payments....

Deductions = £90.18 for income tax, what the **** is that, I'm only 16 ! ???
And £38.29 for NI????

Total deductions ~£130

What the **** someone explain to me why I just worked hard and now they're taking away money for my mums bills? :frown:

Is that not too high?
Reply 905
I will guess your tax code is BR
Reply 906
ask for a formt from your boss( who should have given you this form already) it will be sorted in a couple of weeks and you will get a nice refund
Reply 907
It looks like emergency tax.

As long as you filled in all the tax forms properly, next pay day you will probs get it back.
If not, call the tax man and ask about it. :smile:
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude

And £38.29 for NI????

Total deductions ~£130

What the **** someone explain to me why I just worked hard and now they're taking away money for my mums bills? :frown:

Is that not too high?

Did you get the job recently? You will have been put on an emergency tax list whilst your paperwork is being sorted. You should a get a refund at some point.
Reply 909
the NI seems ok and that's something we all have to pay when we work

however i think you need to fill in a form from your employer declaring you're a student and shouldn't be paying tax

also income tax only applies to people earning over a threshold of circa 6000 in a given tax year so if you haven't earned above that in total you should be able to claim it back :smile:
Hey guys thanks so much...

I'm only working for 1 month so I'll only come out with about 1.6K....

I'm sending the P46 form tomorow, hopefully everything should be sorted by then. Have a good day all.
Original post by UPPSY
ask for a formt from your boss( who should have given you this form already) it will be sorted in a couple of weeks and you will get a nice refund

Its called a P46, I had the same problem and hope that my money goes in at the end of this month.
I had this problem before, I had to call up the inland revenue and confirm i didn't need to be emergency taxed blabla and called debenhams and told my manager my tax code was different and got my pay back on the next month :smile:

And £38.29 for NI????

Total deductions ~£130

Is that not too high?

Check your tax code - as UPPSY suggests, it's probably "BR", which means that all of your income is taxed at the basic rate of 20%, without the benefit of any 'tax free' personal allowance. This is likely because you gave your employer neither a form P45 (from a previous job) nor a form P46 (available from HMRC's website: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf), which gives them the information that they need to use the correct tax code for you. I'd suggest that you download and complete a form P46 and hand this to your employer - once the form is processed your tax code should be updated (likely to "747L") and you should receive a refund of any overpayment automativally through the payroll system the next time that you're paid.

However, importantly you should note that being a student and/or under 18 doesn't mean that you don't have to pay Income Tax - the important factor is your level of income. Also, NI contributions are due from the age of 16 and are calculated for each pay period rather than based on an annual threshold - I wouldn't expect you to be able to reclaim these.
Original post by adel91

Original post by adel91
the NI seems ok and that's something we all have to pay when we work

however i think you need to fill in a form from your employer declaring you're a student and shouldn't be paying tax

also income tax only applies to people earning over a threshold of circa 6000 in a given tax year so if you haven't earned above that in total you should be able to claim it back :smile:

The threshold (known as the 'personal allowance') is now £7,475 for most people for 2011/12. However, it's important to note that the Pay As You Earn System under which income tax and NICs are collected from employees effectively spreads this allowance across the tax year. Depending on your pattern of earning, it's possible that you could find yourself paying income tax that you later have to reclaim, even where the correct tax code is applied.
Check your tax code - as UPPSY suggests, it's probably "BR", which means that all of your income is taxed at the basic rate of 20%, without the benefit of any 'tax free' personal allowance. This is likely because you gave your employer neither a form P45 (from a previous job) nor a form P46 (available from HMRC's website: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf), which gives them the information that they need to use the correct tax code for you. I'd suggest that you download and complete a form P46 and hand this to your employer - once the form is processed your tax code should be updated (likely to "747L") and you should receive a refund of any overpayment automativally through the payroll system the next time that you're paid.

However, importantly you should note that being a student and/or under 18 doesn't mean that you don't have to pay Income Tax - the important factor is your level of income. Also, NI contributions are due from the age of 16 and are calculated for each pay period rather than based on an annual threshold - I wouldn't expect you to be able to reclaim these.

Thanks for the great information.
I'm working for 1 month(Census)... And I've been put in the BR tax band because I haven't gave them my P46 yet.

At the end of employment .. 9th June, will I be able to claim all my tax back because I'll only have made 1200~, which is under the 5XXX number before you start getting taxed?

Cheers guys, just need to double check?...
yes
Brilliant
Reply 919
Hey guys,

I'm looking for the form to claim back tax from a P60 but I really don't know which one because the website is useless and I can't get through on the phone. Does anyone know which one I need? Some ask for funny details which I can't find and I have tried registering for Self-Assessment but can't for some reason - I needed a number which I don't have. This is so frustrating please someone help me!

Latest

Trending

Trending