The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Illusionary
Did you hand in a form P45 from a previous job this tax year or complete a form P46 (link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf) for your employer? if not, that;s likely to be the problem, assuming that this is your only source of income. A quick call to your tax office is the first thing to try. They may be able to resolve the issue then and there, issueing a revised tax code to your/your employer, though potentially they may ask you to complete a form P46 now if you haven't done already.

Once your tax code is updated, you should receive a refund of any overpaid Income Tax through the payroll system the next time that you're paid.

I've not worked this year at all (unemployed since december). Do I need to fill out a p46? and give it to my new employer? Also in that link, do i fill all the pages out and send them all to the employer?

This is very confusing!
Original post by blue_shift86

I've not worked this year at all (unemployed since december). Do I need to fill out a p46? and give it to my new employer? Also in that link, do i fill all the pages out and send them all to the employer?

This is very confusing!

Yes, you should have completed a form P46 - this should give your employer the information that they need to apply the correct tax code. You need to complete all of the first page (section one - where it says "to be completed by the employee"). The second page (section two) is for your employer to complete.
Yes, you should have completed a form P46 - this should give your employer the information that they need to apply the correct tax code. You need to complete all of the first page (section one - where it says "to be completed by the employee"). The second page (section two) is for your employer to complete.

is it too late to give the p46 in now? I've received my 2nd pay check. Also I haven't had any tax back from my temp jobs over the last few years. Aren't they supposed to give us the money back or do we have to chase it up? This is ridiculous!

is it too late to give the p46 in now? I've received my 2nd pay check. Also I haven't had any tax back from my temp jobs over the last few years. Aren't they supposed to give us the money back or do we have to chase it up? This is ridiculous!

It's your responsibility to request any refunds that you're owed. You can do so by writing to your tax office enclosing evidence of your income and tax deductions for the year, and requesting a refund.

Check with your employer, but hopefully they'll still accept a P46 at this point. Failiong that, just give your tax office a call as I suggested above.
It's your responsibility to request any refunds that you're owed. You can do so by writing to your tax office enclosing evidence of your income and tax deductions for the year, and requesting a refund.

Check with your employer, but hopefully they'll still accept a P46 at this point. Failiong that, just give your tax office a call as I suggested above.

Final question, how do I know which is my tax office? Do i just call this generic number: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/contactus/search.ladv?raction=view&fl0=__dsid%3A&sm=0&ha=34&as=1&sf=&sp_scope=hmrc&cs=ISO-8859-1&tx0=49612 or is there an actual tax office by region?

Final question, how do I know which is my tax office? Do i just call this generic number: http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/contactus/search.ladv?raction=view&fl0=__dsid%3A&sm=0&ha=34&as=1&sf=&sp_scope=hmrc&cs=ISO-8859-1&tx0=49612 or is there an actual tax office by region?

That should work, yes; alternatively, there may be details on your payslips.
That should work, yes; alternatively, there may be details on your payslips.

Ah I found a P45! The job centre gave it to me on 18th July when I came off JSA. My employer didn't tell me I needed to give them the P45! God! What a muddle!

Ah I found a P45! The job centre gave it to me on 18th July when I came off JSA. My employer didn't tell me I needed to give them the P45! God! What a muddle!

Give that in to them now (though keep part 1 for your records). :yes:
Give that in to them now (though keep part 1 for your records). :yes:

I'll run over to their offices and give it to them tomorrow :smile:. Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it. Final final question! If I give them this P45 now, will my tax band be adjusted and will I get a refund with my next few payslips or do I have to wait for next year for that? :eek:

I'll run over to their offices and give it to them tomorrow :smile:. Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it. Final final question! If I give them this P45 now, will my tax band be adjusted and will I get a refund with my next few payslips or do I have to wait for next year for that? :eek:

Any refund should come through the payroll system once your tax code's been updated. You won't need to wait until the end of the tax year.
Arghhh this tax thing is driving me crazy! :eek: I seem to have a £500 tax black hole from year 06/07!!!! I hate HMRC - taking advantage of ignorant teenagers when they just get out of high school :mad:

Arghhh this tax thing is driving me crazy! :eek: I seem to have a £500 tax black hole from year 06/07!!!! I hate HMRC - taking advantage of ignorant teenagers when they just get out of high school :mad:

:no: We have a self-assessment system for Income Tax - it's your responsibility to look after your tax affairs.
Reply 1112
Hi, just wanted to add a little complication to the subject..
What if you start another job.. like now?
I mean I'm trying not to exceed the personal allowance this year and since there's still 7 months till the end of the tax year, I have estimated that (keeping my first job!), I can earn an extra £400 a month before next April.

As I read you can have the personal allowance split between the 2 jobs, but in my case it wouldn't avoid me paying taxes cuz earnings are calculated per year, right?
Original post by rei266

Original post by rei266
I mean I'm trying not to exceed the personal allowance this year and since there's still 7 months till the end of the tax year, I have estimated that (keeping my first job!), I can earn an extra £400 a month before next April.

As I read you can have the personal allowance split between the 2 jobs, but in my case it wouldn't avoid me paying taxes cuz earnings are calculated per year, right?
Whether you'd end up paying any Income Tax at first would depend on the exact split that you choose and your total income over the course of the year. However, if your total income doesn't exceed your personal allowance (currently £7,475 for most people) once we reach the end of the year, you can reclaim any overpayment at that stage.

Does that address your concern?
Reply 1114
Original post by rei266

You would pay 20% on your second job and at the end of the year it would all be put together. Then if you had earned more than your £7xxx tax free allowance they would work out how much tax you had to pay and return whats owed to you, or if you had earned less than £7k you would get the whole lot refunded.

Example;

1st job - £3000 (no tax paid)
2nd job - £2000 (20% tax, (£400))

Come April you've only earnt £5k, so you would get a cheque for £400 from HMRC.
Original post by Riderz

Original post by Riderz
You would pay 20% on your second job and at the end of the year it would all be put together. Then if you had earned more than your £7xxx tax free allowance they would work out how much tax you had to pay and return whats owed to you, or if you had earned less than £7k you would get the whole lot refunded.

Example;

1st job - £3000 (no tax paid)
2nd job - £2000 (20% tax, (£400))

Come April you've only earnt £5k, so you would get a cheque for £400 from HMRC.

If their personal allowance is split between the jobs, as they're suggesting, it wouldn't just be a straight 20%, though - I think that's part of the question here.

Also, HMRC won't necessarily process any repayment that's due automatically - it's ultimately down to the taxpayer to ensure that this happens.

rei266 - if the responses here don't fully address your concern, it would be helpful if you could clarify your question. :smile:
Reply 1116
I can choose to cover both jobs with enough allowance that will not require tax decuctions.. only if the second job earnings are taken into account for the actual months of work (before the end of the tax year).
That's what I'm trying to say. I can split my income but if my earnings are estimated for a whole year even for the second job, then there'll be deductions from my payslips anyway.
I know I can get them back but since I'm rather skint I was hoping not have to pay taxes now, that'd be the best thing for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rei266

Original post by rei266
I can choose to cover both jobs with enough allowance that will not require tax decuctions.. only if the second job earnings are taken into account for the actual months of work (before the end of the tax year).
That's what I'm trying to say. I can split my income but if my earnings are estimated for a whole year even for the second job, then there'll be deductions from my payslips anyway.
I know I can get them back but since I'm rather skint I was hoping not have to pay taxes now, that'd be the best thing for me.

Ah, I see...

I'll assume that you're happy with the way that you've done the calculations, in which case I'm afraid that I don't think there's an easy way around it. The best result that you're likely to be able to get is to keep enough of your allowance allocated to your 'main' job to *just* cover all of your expected income from that for the year, then allocate the rest to your second job - then claim a refund of any overpayment that does result following the end of the tax year (or, if earlier, when you leave all employment).

Are you expecting the Income Tax to be a particularly large figure?
Reply 1118
Since the two jobs would have about the same amount of hours, I've estimated that if I split my personal allowance between the 2, I'd "save" about £30 a month(instead of keeping the 2nd job with BR code)... sounds worth a call to the HMRC to me :smile:

Btw I've just noticed this: the tax code on my payslips is 724L not 747L... do you know why is that?? Does it have to do with the fact that I received a Maintenance Grant this year?
Original post by rei266

Original post by rei266
Since the two jobs would have about the same amount of hours, I've estimated that if I split my personal allowance between the 2, I'd "save" about £30 a month(instead of keeping the 2nd job with BR code)... sounds worth a call to the HMRC to me :smile:

Btw I've just noticed this: the tax code on my payslips is 724L not 747L... do you know why is that?? Does it have to do with the fact that I received a Maintenance Grant this year?

A "724L" tax code reflects a personal allowance of £7,245 rather than the standard £7,475. You should have received a coding notice to explain the code, but if you didn't (or you did, but you don't understand/agree with it) then that's something else to raise with HMRC. The code suggests that an additional £46 of Income Tax needs to be collected for this year ((£7,475 - £7,245)*20%).

Latest

Trending

Trending