The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmIDoingItRight
I was a temp at next from November till 31st of December. From the 1st of January I have been on a permanent contract (different payroll number).

I only just got my P45 from the temp job, which I should hand to my manager but I have just got a new job.

so do I give it to my current manager or wait till Saturday?

Before I try to advise here, can you confirm how many jobs are involved - two or three?
Original post by Illusionary
Before I try to advise here, can you confirm how many jobs are involved - two or three?

2 with next and starting 1 on Saturday.
2 with next and starting 1 on Saturday.

So that's three in total? One that you finished on 31 December 2011, one that you started on 1 January 2012 and are still continuing with, and a third that you're starting next Saturday. So you'll have two jobs at the same time from next weekend?
So that's three in total? One that you finished on 31 December 2011, one that you started on 1 January 2012 and are still continuing with, and a third that you're starting next Saturday. So you'll have two jobs at the same time from next weekend?

Sorry, I just realised how how unclear that was.

I had one at next that finished on the 31st,another one at next that started on the 1st and I'm quiting that on Thursday. On Saturday I'm starting a job at m&s.
Sorry, I just realised how how unclear that was.

I had one at next that finished on the 31st,another one at next that started on the 1st and I'm quiting that on Thursday. On Saturday I'm starting a job at m&s.

Right, so three successive jobs - that's clearer. I'd suggest that you pass your first form P45 to your current manager/HR (the second job), as that way the details from that should be incorporated into the details on the form P45 that you should receive from that job shortly after leaving it. When you receive that subsequent form P45, pass that one to your third employer, who you're about to start working for. I'd suggest that you explain the situation re your forms P45 to the third employer, and once you receive your payslips check the tax code on them closely. If you're put onto a "BR" or "0T" tax code and you've handed in your form P45 then it's likely not been fully processed such that you could end up overpaying Income Tax. If that happens, bring it up with HR and see if they can arrange for it to be corrected (likely to "747L").

If that gets you nowhere, contacting your tax office could be more productive, but failing all else you should be able to reclaim any overpaid Income Tax following the end of the tax year (on 5 April 2012), by writing to your tax office requesting a refund, and enclosing evidence of your income and tax deductions in the year.
Right, so three successive jobs - that's clearer. I'd suggest that you pass your first form P45 to your current manager/HR (the second job), as that way the details from that should be incorporated into the details on the form P45 that you should receive from that job shortly after leaving it. When you receive that subsequent form P45, pass that one to your third employer, who you're about to start working for. I'd suggest that you explain the situation re your forms P45 to the third employer, and once you receive your payslips check the tax code on them closely. If you're put onto a "BR" or "0T" tax code and you've handed in your form P45 then it's likely not been fully processed such that you could end up overpaying Income Tax. If that happens, bring it up with HR and see if they can arrange for it to be corrected (likely to "747L&quot:wink:.

If that gets you nowhere, contacting your tax office could be more productive, but failing all else you should be able to reclaim any overpaid Income Tax following the end of the tax year (on 5 April 2012), by writing to your tax office requesting a refund, and enclosing evidence of your income and tax deductions in the year.

ok thank you!
I did an industrial placement last year, and between April 2010 and April 2011, I didn't earn over the taxable income amount. I was taxed £600, so I should be due a refund. I applied for this, but they needed me to send them the p45 from my previous company, as well as a company that I was apparently still registered to. I did some casual work for this company a few years ago and I guess I never formally left. However, the problem is that I am having trouble getting them to give me my p45. They say that I am no longer on their payroll, even though I know I have received a 2010-2011 p60 and I have given them the relevant information from that form.

My question is: If I am unable to provide that p45 to HMRC by April, will I get my tax refund automatically assuming I don't work up to that point? Or can I only get it by applying.
Original post by biffyclyro27
I did an industrial placement last year, and between April 2010 and April 2011, I didn't earn over the taxable income amount. I was taxed £600, so I should be due a refund. I applied for this, but they needed me to send them the p45 from my previous company, as well as a company that I was apparently still registered to. I did some casual work for this company a few years ago and I guess I never formally left. However, the problem is that I am having trouble getting them to give me my p45. They say that I am no longer on their payroll, even though I know I have received a 2010-2011 p60 and I have given them the relevant information from that form.

My question is: If I am unable to provide that p45 to HMRC by April, will I get my tax refund automatically assuming I don't work up to that point? Or can I only get it by applying.
If the date when you stopped working for them was after 5 April 2011, I'd expect your form P60 to have sufficient details for an Income Tax reclaim for 2010/11. I'd expect the form P45 to be more relevant for a claim for 2011/12. This is perhaps something to discuss with your tax office to check that you're sending sufficient details to them.

As a general point, while any refunds that are due may be processed automatically, I wouldn't suggest that you rely on this - it's best to take active steps to request a refund.
If the date when you stopped working for them was after 5 April 2011, I'd expect your form P60 to have sufficient details for an Income Tax reclaim for 2010/11. I'd expect the form P45 to be more relevant for a claim for 2011/12. This is perhaps something to discuss with your tax office to check that you're sending sufficient details to them.

As a general point, while any refunds that are due may be processed automatically, I wouldn't suggest that you rely on this - it's best to take active steps to request a refund.

just to clarify, the company I did my placement with is the job that I payed the £600 tax that I am now due. I have a p45 from that company.

I haven't earned anything with the other company since 2009, but because I'm still registered with them, and I tried to claim my tax by saying that I had not been working for 4 weeks, that's why they want the P45. So I'm not sure if the P60 would be sufficient.

I've tried ringing the tax office, but I've sat in a queue for 45 minutes with no answer and I refuse to pay any more call charges.

I might just send a letter with the P45 I have and the P60 from another company and see where it gets me
Hello TSR

I am currently working part-time while staying in University and I am also getting taxed at a rate of 20% every wage. I am just wondering what my best bet is to do, as I have phones up a number provided to me, and all it did was direct me to another number.

Thanks for you help TSR

Stephan
Original post by steph1389
Hello TSR

I am currently working part-time while staying in University and I am also getting taxed at a rate of 20% every wage. I am just wondering what my best bet is to do, as I have phones up a number provided to me, and all it did was direct me to another number.

Thanks for you help TSR

Stephan

I'd guess that you didn't complete a form P46 for your employer when you started working for them? If you didn't, they'll assume that you can't use any of your 'personal allowance' of income that you can receive each year without paying Income Tax against income from this job and therefore you'll be taxed at the basic rate of 20% on all income here. You likely have a tax code of "BR" or "0T" on your payslips as a result.

To get this corrected, I'd suggest that you download and complete a form P46 now and pass this to your employer. Once processed, you should receive a refund of any overpaid Income Tax via the payroll system the next time that you're paid. The form can be downloaded here: www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

Just as a note to avoid any confusion - being a student doesn't give you any form of exemption from Income Tax, but you wouldn't have no tax liability if your taxable income is entirely covered by your personal allowance for the year, currently £7,475 for most people.
I worked as Christmas Temp for about 5 weeks. I received payment for this but no payment slip. I have definitely been underpaid as I get a note of my hours and calculated my salary. I shouldn't of had Tax taken off and as I haven't received a slip I can't see how they added up my wages. I have tried emailing my employer and got ignored, I called yesterday morning and they said they would get back to me soon but I haven't heard anything.

Do I continue to ring them until it is sorted out? Or can I take my complaint to somewhere else (tax office?)?

Note - This is a massive company so they shouldn't not supply a payment slip.
Original post by MissBlueskys
I worked as Christmas Temp for about 5 weeks. I received payment for this but no payment slip. I have definitely been underpaid as I get a note of my hours and calculated my salary. I shouldn't of had Tax taken off and as I haven't received a slip I can't see how they added up my wages. I have tried emailing my employer and got ignored, I called yesterday morning and they said they would get back to me soon but I haven't heard anything.

Do I continue to ring them until it is sorted out? Or can I take my complaint to somewhere else (tax office?)?

Note - This is a massive company so they shouldn't not supply a payment slip.

You may well be correct, but what's you're reasoning for Income Tax not being due? As per my last post here, If you don't complete a form P46 (or hand in a form P45), your employer would usually assume that you can't use any of your 'personal allowance' of income that you can receive each year without paying Income Tax against income from this job and therefore you'll be taxed at the basic rate of 20% on all income here.

If you've had Income Tax deducted incorrectly, you'd usually need some evidence of your income and tax deductions in order to claim a refund - a form P45 or P60 is usually ideal for this, rather than payslips - but I assume you've not received a form P45 in this case either?

I'd suggest that you allow somewhat longer than a day before assuming that your call is being ignored - perhaps try them again around Wednesday next week if you've still heard nothing by then.
When is it possible to reclaim back tax. Is it in april? And, would it be best to phone the hmrc and speak to them about getting the tax back. Also, would I need all my pay slips to send it to them.

I would appreciate your help on this. :smile:
Original post by firestar101
When is it possible to reclaim back tax. Is it in april? And, would it be best to phone the hmrc and speak to them about getting the tax back. Also, would I need all my pay slips to send it to them.

I would appreciate your help on this. :smile:

For starters, take a look at my article in the TSR wiki: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Income_Tax_and_National_Insurance#Reclaiming_Overpaid_Tax

Are you still in employment? If so and you've only got one job, any overpayment of Income Tax is likely to be a result of being on the wrong tax code. Give to your employer your form P45 from your last job or complete a form P46 to resolve this and once your tax code is updated you should receive a refund of any overpayment automatically via the payroll system.

If you're no longer employed and either have been unemployed for four weeks or do't intend to work again before 6 April 2012, you can complete a form P50 to request a refund now. You'll need some evidence of your income, ideally your form P45, to support a claim for a refund.

You can find the forms here for download:
P46: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf
P50: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf
I'd guess that you didn't complete a form P46 for your employer when you started working for them? If you didn't, they'll assume that you can't use any of your 'personal allowance' of income that you can receive each year without paying Income Tax against income from this job and therefore you'll be taxed at the basic rate of 20% on all income here. You likely have a tax code of "BR" or "0T" on your payslips as a result.

To get this corrected, I'd suggest that you download and complete a form P46 now and pass this to your employer. Once processed, you should receive a refund of any overpaid Income Tax via the payroll system the next time that you're paid. The form can be downloaded here: www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

Just as a note to avoid any confusion - being a student doesn't give you any form of exemption from Income Tax, but you wouldn't have no tax liability if your taxable income is entirely covered by your personal allowance for the year, currently £7,475 for most people.

I did tfill one of these forms in, but the employer wasn't to hot with telling anyone how to do this and also didn't seem to care about any of it. I have taked to the employer about the situation and the Tax Code, which is 0T, and they seem to just wave it off. They are not the best of employers.

Thanks for your reply though. I will download the form now and refill it in to submit to the employer.

EDIT: If posible, woould you help me on this form as well.

Option D states:

Spoiler

Should I put and X in this box?

Thanks again,
Stephan.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by steph1389
I did tfill one of these forms in, but the employer wasn't to hot with telling anyone how to do this and also didn't seem to care about any of it. I have taked to the employer about the situation and the Tax Code, which is 0T, and they seem to just wave it off. They are not the best of employers.

Thanks for your reply though. I will download the form now and refill it in to submit to the employer.

EDIT: If posible, woould you help me on this form as well.

Option D states:

Spoiler

Should I put and X in this box?

Thanks again,
Stephan.

Presumably you're still enrolled in your university course, so you wouldn't yet have "left a course of UK Higher Education" (at which point loan repayments could start)? That being the case, I don't think that you'd want to check box D.
Ahh, maybe thats where I went wrong last time then! ><

Thanks for your help Illusionary! :smile:
basically ill be going into full time education from full time work.

ill of done 4 months work before hand and will of been taxed full rate for a years worth of work on this wage. but i will only have done obviously 4months,

would i be entitled to a rebate and how and when if i am can i get it?
Reply 1339
I went through the same thing, yes you will be entitled to a tax rebate. You will need to download a P50 form from their website and send it in along with the P45 from your job or a P60 if you have it. On the P50 form you tick the box which says that you're moving into full-time education and/or that you will not be in employment until the end of the tax year or something along those lines. There's always a chance that they won't refund you until the end of the tax year anyway but it's always worth a try, when I applied for mine they gave me it in December and it turned out I'd overpaid tax in the previous year as well so I got a nice big wad of cash back from them!

Latest

Trending

Trending