The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it depends whether you're still working for the company. I tried to get a tax rebate early and was told I couldn't because I didn't have a p45, I have to wait till April now. :frown:
Original post by timothytom
basically ill be going into full time education from full time work.

ill of done 4 months work before hand and will of been taxed full rate for a years worth of work on this wage. but i will only have done obviously 4months,

would i be entitled to a rebate and how and when if i am can i get it?

Quite likely, yes, if you're no longer going to be employed at all and don't expect to be again until after 5 April. As LooCee says, the form to use is a P50, which you can download from HMRC's website here:

You won't have a form P60 to accompany the completed form as this is an end-of-year certificate, but a form P45 would be ideal and you should receive this from your employer shortly after you finish working for them.

Original post by deadwing
I think it depends whether you're still working for the company. I tried to get a tax rebate early and was told I couldn't because I didn't have a p45, I have to wait till April now. :frown:

Why do you think you're entitled to a rebate - are you on the wrong tax code? If it's "BR" or "0T" and this is your only job then it's likely to be incorrect. If you're on the wrong tax code and didn't complete a form P46 for your employer when starting work then do so now and this should allow them to correct your tax code (likely to "747L") and you should receive a refund of any overpaid Income Tax through the payroll system the next time that you're paid. Alternatively, call your tax office and they should be able to arrange for your tax code to be updated.
Original post by Illusionary

Why do you think you're entitled to a rebate - are you on the wrong tax code? If it's "BR" or "0T" and this is your only job then it's likely to be incorrect. If you're on the wrong tax code and didn't complete a form P46 for your employer when starting work then do so now and this should allow them to correct your tax code (likely to "747L") and you should receive a refund of any overpaid Income Tax through the payroll system the next time that you're paid. Alternatively, call your tax office and they should be able to arrange for your tax code to be updated.

I don't earn enough to pay tax but I got put on the emergency rate for some reason.

So annoying because I'm short of money right now and I wouldn't be if I could it back. :mad:
Really quick...

Year 2010/11 (April-April)

I earnt less than £7475 (Tax code 747, meaning £7475 is my yearly allowance) and I worked three job during that tax year. I claimed my tax back for the first job with ease, because I wasn't working and I didn't 'expect to be back in employment within 4 weeks.

However I am owed £171 by HM revenue for the last two jobs of that tax year I worked, I'm now currently employed full-time which means I can't fill out the tax rebate form, however it does state that if I'm owed tax it will come through on my first payslip at my new (current) job.

The problem is I have two P45's, and my office manager who is in charge of recruitment/salaries and stuff like that says that I have to it myself, I just told her that HM revenue told me that it should come through on my payslip. I haven't received my payslip yet, I will on the 24th...

So effectively:

I'm currently employed full-time, which means I can't use the tax form for a rebate, it must be reimbursed through my salary, however on the contrary my office manager says that I must use the form. HM are obviously correct.

Now the second issue is I have TWO P45's, so if I do get my tax reimbursed it will only be the amount I got taxed during my last employment and not the job before that. I'm very confused. I'm owed £170 and I want my money!

CHD
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Really quick...

Year 2010/11 (April-April)

I earnt less than £7475 (Tax code 747, meaning £7475 is my yearly allowance) and I worked three job during that tax year. I claimed my tax back for the first job with ease, because I wasn't working and I didn't 'expect to be back in employment within 4 weeks.

However I am owed £171 by HM revenue for the last two jobs of that tax year I worked, I'm now currently employed full-time which means I can't fill out the tax rebate form, however it does state that if I'm owed tax it will come through on my first payslip at my new (current) job.

The problem is I have two P45's, and my office manager who is in charge of recruitment/salaries and stuff like that says that I have to it myself, I just told her that HM revenue told me that it should come through on my payslip. I haven't received my payslip yet, I will on the 24th...

So effectively:

I'm currently employed full-time, which means I can't use the tax form for a rebate, it must be reimbursed through my salary, however on the contrary my office manager says that I must use the form. HM are obviously correct.

Now the second issue is I have TWO P45's, so if I do get my tax reimbursed it will only be the amount I got taxed during my last employment and not the job before that. I'm very confused. I'm owed £170 and I want my money!

CHD

This is for a previous year's overpayment? You wouldn't usually use a form P50 for that - just write to your tax office enclosing evidence of your income and tax deductions, requesting a refund. If you have two forms P45, send both in along with your application and explain your situation re multiple jobs.

A previous year's refund wouldn't usually come via the payroll system.

arsehole
(edited 12 years ago)
This is for a previous year's overpayment? You wouldn't usually use a form P50 for that - just write to your tax office enclosing evidence of your income and tax deductions, requesting a refund. If you have two forms P45, send both in along with your application and explain your situation re multiple jobs.

A previous year's refund wouldn't usually come via the payroll system.

No, The first job was in May 2011, I got my tax back for that. And the last two jobs which I haven't got my tax back for were between May and Decemember 2011. And I've started this new job 2 weeks ago.

Essentially everything that has happened has happened within the same tax year April 2011 - April 2012, all problems/situations are in this april-april zone...

I mean, I do have evidence of the tax they need to refund, obviously once they check their systems it'll show I've earnt less than £7475 so regardless of the situation you're suggesting to literally just write to them, enclose part 2 and 3 of both P45's and just explain the situation?

CHD
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
No, The first job was in May 2011, I got my tax back for that. And the last two jobs which I haven't got my tax back for were between May and Decemember 2011. And I've started this new job 2 weeks ago.

Essentially everything that has happened has happened within the same tax year April 2011 - April 2012, all problems/situations are in this april-april zone...

I mean, I do have evidence of the tax they need to refund, obviously once they check their systems it'll show I've earnt less than £7475 so regardless of the situation you're suggesting to literally just write to them, enclose part 2 and 3 of both P45's and just explain the situation?

CHD

Okay, right. Well, from what you say I assume that you didn't pass your forms P45 to your new employers when you started working with them? That's going to be the source of your problem, as it short-circuits the usually cumulative PAYE system. At this stage in the year, unless you urgently need the money. I'd suggest that you just wait until the end of the tax year (about a month and a half away, on 5 April 2012), then contact your tax office at that point. I'd suggest a telephone call as a first course of action, as they may already have all of the information that they need in order to arrange a refund. If not, they should tell you what information they need, which would likely be a letter enclosing your forms P45 and, if you're employed at the end of the tax year, form P60.

BTW, you're used this forum enough times that you should know that posting in this thread is the way to go with any Income Tax questions, rather than starting a new thread. :wink:
I'm trying to understand how NI works in comparison to tax.

To make it simple, let me create a scenario.

I work one week a year, earning £500 gross in that week. I'm on the emergency tax code, so I'm taxed at 20%. Obviously I can claim that back because I'm only earning £500 per year, well under the personal allowance...

But how does national insurance work. I'd pay 12% on anything over £139 initially, which works out as £43.32 if I've done my maths right. Now, can I claim that back because I only owe £500 a year, or is it done on a week by week basis?

Thanks.
Reply 1348
You cannot claim back any National Insurance paid.
Cheers Shani you fine vixen.
Original post by ok_cub2008
I'm trying to understand how NI works in comparison to tax.

To make it simple, let me create a scenario.

I work one week a year, earning £500 gross in that week. I'm on the emergency tax code, so I'm taxed at 20%. Obviously I can claim that back because I'm only earning £500 per year, well under the personal allowance...

But how does national insurance work. I'd pay 12% on anything over £139 initially, which works out as £43.32 if I've done my maths right. Now, can I claim that back because I only owe £500 a year, or is it done on a week by week basis?

Thanks.

To explain a little further - National Insurance Contributions (NICs) for employees are calculated for each pay period in isolation, so it's not possible to claim a refund based on having a low overall annual income. There can be situations where NICs are reclaimable, but those will tend to be related to situations where someone has multiple jobs, or is both an employee and self-employed.
Reply 1351
Original post by ok_cub2008
Cheers Shani you fine vixen.

Thanks for making me lol :tongue:

It's not often people thank me for giving them bad news!
Reply 1352
Quick question guys. I'm 18 and been working in my first jone for the last few months I just got taxed for the first time ever NI i think and was wondering do i get it back at any point and how much of it THANKS
Original post by Jake2.0
Quick question guys. I'm 18 and been working in my first jone for the last few months I just got taxed for the first time ever NI i think and was wondering do i get it back at any point and how much of it THANKS

Your payslips should tell you what exactly has been deducted, and whether it's Income Tax, National Insurance Contributions (NICs) or something else. NICs are calculated for each period in isolation and as this is your only job it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to reclaim them. How much were you paid, and how much was deducted?
Hi all, after graduating I was offered a job (more like an internship) that pays 12.5k per year, which comes to 1046/month before tax, and would come to 900 after tax. Now when I took the job I had another casual student job going for a month and so got emergency taxed at my second job, only receiving 780 pounds a month. After I left my first job, I asked my employer there to provide me with a P45 which he did - I have given this to my second employer and am pretty sure he spoke to his accountant about it (I accidentally noticed an e-mail about it whilst sitting next to my boss in a meeting and Google mail displays quite a lot of preview text so I could see that he intended to send the p45 to the accountant). This was back in October, and I am still on emergency tax code BR. I have approached my employer about it twice since then, and he said he has carried out all the necessary procedures (which I am sure he has) and that I should wait and my taxes should come back and go straight into my bank account. Nothing has happened since and I feel quite strange about it - I don't want to approach my boss about this again as I don't want to seem pushy but I have 'lost' quite a lot of money and am about to relocate to London, where I will need every extra penny I can get due to rent etc...What should I do about this? Can I contact HMRC and sort it out with them or will they contact my employer (I don't want to make it seem like I went behind their backs but it's really important to me that I get the full wage)?
Any other tips on how to approach this? The company I work for is a small business if that helps.
Original post by aintseennoonetruer
Hi all, after graduating I was offered a job (more like an internship) that pays 12.5k per year, which comes to 1046/month before tax, and would come to 900 after tax. Now when I took the job I had another casual student job going for a month and so got emergency taxed at my second job, only receiving 780 pounds a month. After I left my first job, I asked my employer there to provide me with a P45 which he did - I have given this to my second employer and am pretty sure he spoke to his accountant about it (I accidentally noticed an e-mail about it whilst sitting next to my boss in a meeting and Google mail displays quite a lot of preview text so I could see that he intended to send the p45 to the accountant). This was back in October, and I am still on emergency tax code BR. I have approached my employer about it twice since then, and he said he has carried out all the necessary procedures (which I am sure he has) and that I should wait and my taxes should come back and go straight into my bank account. Nothing has happened since and I feel quite strange about it - I don't want to approach my boss about this again as I don't want to seem pushy but I have 'lost' quite a lot of money and am about to relocate to London, where I will need every extra penny I can get due to rent etc...What should I do about this? Can I contact HMRC and sort it out with them or will they contact my employer (I don't want to make it seem like I went behind their backs but it's really important to me that I get the full wage)?
Any other tips on how to approach this? The company I work for is a small business if that helps.

Yep, you can call your tax office about this and in this situation that would be my suggestion - they should be able to arrange an amendment to your tax code directly. That change would have to be notified to your employer (as it's them who operate PAYE for your pay), but depending on the size of the business the individual who you've been speaking to about this may never need know about this.

In the worst case, if you're still unable to get this sorted by the end of the tax year on 5 April, you can again contact your tax office and request a refund of any overpaid Income Tax across the year as a whole, as your total earnings or the year (and any associated deductions) should then be known. You may need the end of year form P60 for this (you should receive that from your employer by 31 May if you're employed at the end of the year), but your tax office may already have the information that they need - speak to them and they can advise how best to approach it. :smile:
Go in and kick up a fuss, **** the fact that he's your boss, I used to get underpaid nearly every payday in some way or another. And I tell you, world war 3 happened every time, went in, had a massive go at my manager and then went up to payroll to explain that the management has ****ed me over yet again.

Alternatively cut out the middle man and deal with HMRC yourself.
Let's say, for sake of example, that you owned a website and was generating advertising revenue from it that was fairly substantial -- so the company who ran your advertising (assuming that you didn't organize it yourself) would pay you and take a cut for themselves. Presumably you'd have to pay income tax on whatever you earned, since it wouldn't be capital gains, which is fair enough, but how would you go about declaring it and paying the tax, since you'd formally be neither an employee or an employer?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jismith1989
Let's say, for sake of example, that you owned a website and was generating advertising revenue from it that was fairly substantial -- so the company who ran your advertising (assuming that you didn't organize it yourself) would pay you and take a cut for themselves. Presumably you'd have to pay income tax on whatever you earned, since it wouldn't be capital gains, which is fair enough, but how would you go about declaring it and paying the tax, since you'd formally be neither an employee or an employer?

This sounds like a self-employment situation, where you'd be taxed on the trading income from the business. Self-employed traders have to register with HMRC upon starting up and complete a self-assessment tax return each year. Actual payment of any tax due for the year would then be in line with the usual self-assessment regime, being due in instalments on 31 January during the year and 31 July after the end of the year (with a balancing payment the following January).
This sounds like a self-employment situation, where you'd be taxed on the trading income from the business. Self-employed traders have to register with HMRC upon starting up and complete a self-assessment tax return each year. Actual payment of any tax due for the year would then be in line with the usual self-assessment regime, being due in instalments on 31 January during the year and 31 July after the end of the year (with a balancing payment the following January).
I see. But presumably people who just earned £10 every few weeks (maybe from revenue on YouTube or something similar) wouldn't need to create their own company just to accept the money (if they would, it seems like a whole of fuss), so at what point would it become necessary? When you'd become applicable to pay the basic tax rate?
(edited 12 years ago)