The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Illusionary
That will depend on their current workload - there's no harm to a call to follow up if you can get through. Have you completed a form P46 for your new employer? Not doing so is likely to be the reason why you're being taxed incorrectly, if indeed you are. If you've not yet completed one, do so now.

I tried calling intially and never got through, so ended up writing to them. Seems to cost quite a lot to be just left on hold. I handed in my P45 to my new job, from my old job which had a correct tax code on it. I thought that would make sure they would tax me correctly but my wages do seem to be lower than I was expecting so I suspect they taxed me. Will find out tomorrow hopefully.
Both my earnings from two jobs will total up to £726.24 per month. One job is paid weekly. I am also a student.

Will I get taxed?
Yes you will be. The current personal allowance for this year to 2013 is £8105, which works out at about £675 tax free a month, so if we do that on a yearly basis with the 2 jobs making a total of (just rounding up here for simplicity) £8714 - the remaining £609 of that will have 20% deducted off it, meaning you average take-home income a year from both jobs would be about £8593.

E: And the clarify, you being a student doesn't and NEVER will make a difference to whether you pay tax or not unless it's only strictly during the holiday - if it's work done all throughout the year, then as long as you earn over the yearly personal allowance, you pay tax.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1463
Yes
Reply 1464
How do you know how much you've earn' at the end of the year?

I work part time and on ebay so I can't even remember how much has gone into my bank account. Also ... when does the year start in terms of money earnt each year?

sorry for stealing your thread!
Original post by Zyyz

I work part time and on ebay so I can't even remember how much has gone into my bank account. Also ... when does the year start in terms of money earnt each year?

It's April. It's either the 5th or 6th.
Reply 1466
Original post by MoonGazer

E: And the clarify, you being a student doesn't and NEVER will make a difference to whether you pay tax or not unless it's only strictly during the holiday - if it's work done all throughout the year, then as long as you earn over the yearly personal allowance, you pay tax.

Only working during the holidays doesn't make a difference either.

Whether you pay tax or not is purely based on 1 thing - how much you earn. If its over the personal allowance you pay tax. If its under, you don't.

You may end up paying some tax if you earn more some weeks/months but you can reclaim it if it turns out you earn too little.

Don't forget national insurance will need to be paid too.
Reply 1467
Original post by Shani
Only working during the holidays doesn't make a difference either.

Whether you pay tax or not is purely based on 1 thing - how much you earn. If its over the personal allowance you pay tax. If its under, you don't.

You may end up paying some tax if you earn more some weeks/months but you can reclaim it if it turns out you earn too little.

Don't forget national insurance will need to be paid too.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/work_in_term_and_hols_9_1.htm
Reply 1468

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/work_hols_while_student_8_1.htm

If you are a student on a course in the UK and you work solely in the holiday periods (summer, Christmas, Easter) you may be able to receive your wages without tax being deducted. You will need to complete a student exemption Form P38(S) (Opens new window).

To receive your wages without tax being deducted you must:

be a student who is planning to continue being a student until after 5 April next
not have a total income from all sources - apart from student loans, scholarships and educational grants - in the tax year of more than £8,105 in 2012-2013

Working only in the holidays might make a difference to the way tax might be collected (ie when calculating whether you will earn over your personal allowance in a year) but ultimately, the only deciding factor is the amount you earn. If, at the end of the year you earn below the threshold you will not pay tax, and can reclaim any you've overpaid. If you earn over the threshold, even whilst only working during the holidays, you will pay tax.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MoonGazer
Yes you will be. The current personal allowance for this year to 2013 is £8105, which works out at about £675 tax free a month, so if we do that on a yearly basis with the 2 jobs making a total of (just rounding up here for simplicity) £8714 - the remaining £609 of that will have 20% deducted off it, meaning you average take-home income a year from both jobs would be about £8593.

Being a student can make a difference; you and your employer can submit a form which acknowledges that the employment is temporary, or will only occur at certain periods of the year, and you will therefore not be taxed on PAYE in the normal way. This means you can avoid being automatically taxed on income which is over £675 a month, but still means you fall under the personal tax allowance (e.g. say you do a paid internship in the summer, earning £2000 per month for two months, but did no other work during the year; it would be stupid to be taxed as if you were earning £24,000 per year, then getting a rebate at a later date).

Shani beat me to it! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by OU Student
It's April. It's either the 5th or 6th.

Original post by Zyyz

Your post is in my tax sticky now, so no need to worry about thread 'stealing'. :tongue: The tax year ends on 5 April each year. You should be able to find your gross income each year from adding up the amount on each of your payslips, but an easier way is by referring to the form P45 (which you'll receive on leaving a job) or form P60 (which you'll receive if employed at the end of the tax year) from your employer - these will show totals.
Original post by IAMchocolatee
Both my earnings from two jobs will total up to £726.24 per month. One job is paid weekly. I am also a student.

Will I get taxed?

Others semm to have covered your query quite well here, but there's one point that's not really been fully touched on yet. If you have two (or more) jobs, while by default your 'personal allowance' will be allocated in full to one of them (giving a tax code of "810L" for 2012/13), leaving the others with nil (and a tax code of "BR" or "0T"), you can choose to split your allowance between jobs for the purpose of the PAYE system. The benefit of this, if you're not eligible for or your employer doesn't operate the form P38(S) procedure allowing students working only in holiday periods, is that it can (depending on your exact pattern of income) reduce the amount of Income Tax that you might otherwise have paid and have to later reclaim. You'd need to estimate the income that you expect to receive from each job for the year, then contact your tax office to advise them of the split that you'd like. They can then issue revised tax codes to you for each job.

One more link for you in relation to this: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/two_pt_jobs_pa_on_both_9_3.htm
Hi,

I'm a full time university student and have a permanent weekend job.

Will I have to pay tax and NI?
As far as I know, full time students are exempt from paying income tax. No idea about national insurance though...
Original post by blank_smile
Hi,

Original post by IAmTheKing
As far as I know, full time students are exempt from paying income tax. No idea about national insurance though...

Does google not work for you people?

It is a common misconception that full-time students are exempt from paying income tax. They are not, but most do not earn enough in the year to exceed their personal allowance the amount everyone is entitled to earn before tax is deducted.

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/info-and-advice/students-income-tax-and-national-insurance1/

Student have to pay NI and income tax. there is the threshold of which you dont pay income tax and a threshold when you dont pay NI. if you exceed this threshold you pay tax. simple.
Reply 1475
You'll have to pay NI.
Whether you're a student or not has no bearing on whether you pay income tax. It goes on how much you earn, nothing else. Google "UK income tax thresholds", and you can find out whether you have to pay it.
Depends how much you earn a week.

Last year I was a full time student with 2 part-time jobs and I had to pay tax! But I obviously claimed it back once I stopped.
Original post by blank_smile
Hi,

Original post by katyness
Depends how much you earn a week.

Last year I was a full time student with 2 part-time jobs and I had to pay tax! But I obviously claimed it back once I stopped.

Please, all of you, take a look at the guide that I've written on this - it's in the OP of the thread that I've merged this thread into, which is a sticky at the top of this forum. To reiterate the key point here - being a student/in full-time education has no bearing on whether you have an Income Tax or National Insurance liability for any given year.

katyness - there's a specific section in my guide that deals with your situation. Provided that your total income is no more than your personal allowance, you can arrange with HMRC to split your allowance between the two jobs, which can allow you to avoid paying Income Tax that you later have to reclaim.
Original post by Illusionary

katyness - there's a specific section in my guide that deals with your situation. Provided that your total income is no more than your personal allowance, you can arrange with HMRC to split your allowance between the two jobs, which can allow you to avoid paying Income Tax that you later have to reclaim.

Yeah, I found out all about it through TSR last year. One of the jobs was a bit awkward in terms of salary so I just opted out the way that suited me the most :smile:

Latest