The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone got experience reclaiming national insurance? Found out Ive over paid last 2 tax years and the £200 would help a lot once i start uni, Ive reclaimed income tax is it similar?

Thanks
Original post by Patchey1000
Anyone got experience reclaiming national insurance? Found out Ive over paid last 2 tax years and the £200 would help a lot once i start uni, Ive reclaimed income tax is it similar?

Thanks

Before I go any further, why do you think that you've overpaid NICs? That's much less common than overpaying Income Tax as NIC deductions are calculated for each pay period in isolation.
Original post by Illusionary
Before I go any further, why do you think that you've overpaid NICs? That's much less common than overpaying Income Tax as NIC deductions are calculated for each pay period in isolation.

used the calculator on listen to the taxman some months i do a lot of overtime so my pay can be double what it usually is this is probably why
used the calculator on listen to the taxman some months i do a lot of overtime so my pay can be double what it usually is this is probably why

The calculator on their home page http://listentotaxman.com ? If so, how did you complete it - did you just enter your total income for the year and look at what it stated for the NICs deduction?
The calculator on their home page http://listentotaxman.com ? If so, how did you complete it - did you just enter your total income for the year and look at what it stated for the NICs deduction?

Yes that's what I did in both years I'd overpaid about £100
Yes that's what I did in both years I'd overpaid about £100

National Insurance Contributions for employees don't work like that :no: The listentotaxman calculator assumes a equal spread of income throughout the tax year, but the rates and thresholds for NICs apply for each pay period in isolation and you can't reclaim NICs based on a calculation using your overall annual income.
Hey, I get paid monthly.. I'm contracted to 4 hours a week, so 16 a month.. I've done just under 40 hours this month , I'm 17 and tax code OT how much will I pay? :/
Reply 1488
Original post by kayleigh_
Hey, I get paid monthly.. I'm contracted to 4 hours a week, so 16 a month.. I've done just under 40 hours this month , I'm 17 and tax code OT how much will I pay? :/

I *think* OT means you're on emergency tax. Which means you will pay 20% on everything you earn until you get given a proper tax code.

Working so few hours means that once you've got your proper tax code you will likely not pay any tax as you won't earn anywhere near the threshold, and will be able to reclaim any overpaid tax.
Original post by Shani
I *think* OT means you're on emergency tax. Which means you will pay 20% on everything you earn until you get given a proper tax code.

Working so few hours means that once you've got your proper tax code you will likely not pay any tax as you won't earn anywhere near the threshold, and will be able to reclaim any overpaid tax.

:nah: In terms of terminology, the 'emergency tax' code is currently "810L": http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/emergency-code.htm
You're correct, though, about the consequences of a "0T" tax code - it results in a zero personal allowance being set against any income from this job, such that all income is taxed at 20% (assuming of course that the higher-rate threshold isn't reached, but that's not relevant here).

Your age doesn't have any effect here. Assuming that this is your only job, the "0T" tax code is likely to be incorrect; I'd expect a code of "810L". Did you complete a form P46 for your employer when starting to work for them? If not, you should do so now, as that should allow them to update your tax code. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

Shani is correct that with only 40 hours of work a month, you're unlikely to be earning at a rate sufficient to mean that you have any Income Tax to pay on this income once the correct tax code is used.
Reply 1490
:nah: In terms of terminology, the 'emergency tax' code is currently "810L": http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/emergency-code.htm
You're correct, though, about the consequences of a "0T" tax code - it results in a zero personal allowance being set against any income from this job, such that all income is taxed at 20% (assuming of course that the higher-rate threshold isn't reached, but that's not relevant here).

Your age doesn't have any effect here. Assuming that this is your only job, the "0T" tax code is likely to be incorrect; I'd expect a code of "810L". Did you complete a form P46 for your employer when starting to work for them? If not, you should do so now, as that should allow them to update your tax code. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

Shani is correct that with only 40 hours of work a month, you're unlikely to be earning at a rate sufficient to mean that you have any Income Tax to pay on this income once the correct tax code is used.

Ah, glad I wasn't too far off the mark, thank you for correcting me :smile:
How do I sort my tax code out.. I did get taxed 20%
How do I sort my tax code out.. I did get taxed 20%

Have you completed a form P46 for your employer? If not, that's likely to be what's led to this and you should download and complete one now.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf
Anyone else get a penalty for a late tax return through the mail recently? I've just been given some bull**** charge of £200 for a tax return I submitted, on time, two years ago.

I also terminated my self-employment with that tax return and haven't heard a peep out of HMRC until now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ЯOЯЯIM
Anyone else get a penalty for a late tax return through the mail recently? I've just been given some bull**** charge of £200 for a tax return I submitted, on time, two years ago.

I also terminated my self-employment with that tax return and haven't heard a peep out of HMRC until now.

Give your tax office a call and query it. :yes:
Give your tax office a call and query it. :yes:
Aye, that's how I proceeded. I've filled out an appeal form to post, and I've also dug up a copy of my tax return and records of my income, but I'm going to call in at the tax office anyway as I have some other business to sort out in town.

I was just curious as to whether others had received similar notices, as the government has made mistakes in the past.

Very glad I kept accurate financial records even when I was a teenager. Never being self-employed again though.
Have you completed a form P46 for your employer? If not, that's likely to be what's led to this and you should download and complete one now.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

Hey, I've already filled one of those when I started my.job, shall I call.the tax office?
Hey, I've already filled one of those when I started my.job, shall I call.the tax office?

How long ago was that and what's yout tax code (on your payslips)? As a first step, check with your employer whether the form's been processed yet.
At the moment I'm on the wrong tax code and I've been wrongly taxed for the past two months, and probably will be this month too :mad:

I've called HMRC on multiple occasions and they reassured me that they've sent an updated tax code to my employer. They said the sent a new tax code in October (after I started the job), and in May (when I first rang up to complain). I've tried ringing payroll on multiple occasions but get fobbed off with a story about how they can only access my details after the 20th of the month, and to call back on the 20th. But then when I do and it's still not ****ing sorted out, I will have wasted another month messing around hoping it has been corrected, and that's another month where I've been taxed wrongly!

HMRC say that payroll have reverted back to the old tax code without instruction from them. When I told the woman at payroll what I'd been told she got really aggressive with me and said they couldn't do that if they even wanted to.

I'm getting really frustrated here and really ****ing ****ed off. I'm down nearly £250 and I can't afford to be out of pocket by that much. I just want my money and to be paid correctly!

Has this happened to anyone else before, and how did you sort it out? :frown:
Original post by Sakura-Chan
At the moment I'm on the wrong tax code and I've been wrongly taxed for the past two months, and probably will be this month too :mad:

I've called HMRC on multiple occasions and they reassured me that they've sent an updated tax code to my employer. They said the sent a new tax code in October (after I started the job), and in May (when I first rang up to complain). I've tried ringing payroll on multiple occasions but get fobbed off with a story about how they can only access my details after the 20th of the month, and to call back on the 20th. But then when I do and it's still not ****ing sorted out, I will have wasted another month messing around hoping it has been corrected, and that's another month where I've been taxed wrongly!

HMRC say that payroll have reverted back to the old tax code without instruction from them. When I told the woman at payroll what I'd been told she got really aggressive with me and said they couldn't do that if they even wanted to.

I'm getting really frustrated here and really ****ing ****ed off. I'm down nearly £250 and I can't afford to be out of pocket by that much. I just want my money and to be paid correctly!

Has this happened to anyone else before, and how did you sort it out? :frown:

It sounds like you've done what's needed with HMRC... have you got a copy of the coding notice that you received from HMRC? Take this with you when raising it with your employer's payroll and ask for a clear explanation of why they can't make the updates needed, if they're still not able to.

What tax code are you currently on/what do you think that it should be?
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending