The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HCD
Oh, sorry, it comes from the Oxford English Dictionary. Not from some online dictionary which has never been approved to be published. You have only posted online dictionaries which are, for starters, all American. Words have different meanings over there, darling. :console:

Hmm, that's funny, because Mayfly just posted from the OED and got a pretty different result. If you're going to argue in detail about the detailed meaning of a word, don't use a concise dictionary. That's just obvious.

Besides, a definition of slut that doesn't mention the offensive and insulting implications of the word is very rare, as I've shown. The vast majority of them agree with me, including the 'Oxford English Dictionary' (as you so proudly announced) that Mayfly quoted.
What's wrong with having sex anyway? As long as you're not spreading nasty diseases or bringing unwanted children into the world, what does it matter how many people you sleep with? I really don't understand most people's concept of morality...
missygeorgia
This is complete :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:. I have no idea why you think this

has anything to do with this

Complete fail.

Bottom line- there is no excuse for calling sexually liberated women sluts. There is definitely a reason for calling you a dickwad.

This.
Reply 83
AYE
Girls sleeping around will always be seen in a derogatory manner for two reasons;

Other girls will look down on them.

and men tend to be put off by promiscuous women, though they will **** them but nothing serious will come of it for most men.

First point: not true. Girls look down on girls with low standards not the ones that happen to have lots of sex due to being sexually desirable. It's not the promiscuity that's the problem.

Second point: true, but women feel the same way about men. They hate men who are always sleeping around: no girl wants to be just another notch on the bedpost. Oh if the guy is really hot or charismatic that will make up for it if the girl is looking for a short term relationship or a one night stand, but the same can be said about men and hot women.
Reply 84
trm90
If a good female friend was promiscuous would you call her a slut to her face? Seriously, be honest here.

Yes I have done :ta:.
Reply 85
Oh, I'm in Oxford so that's probably why I have access. Does it really not work? How bizarre. Of all the things to charge for...
HCD
The "full" OED requires a subscription you pleb. If you try clicking the link you are asked to subscribe. Mayfly may have that subscription service, but I do not. What's a man to do? :colonhash: You only posted from online dictionaries, I don't give a :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: about what they say, they were just written by "some dude". They are not credible sources :ta:

You are a slut. Live with it, darlin'.

'Mayfly may have that subscription service, but I do not.'

Which is why he nicely quoted it in full. What's a man to do? How about not quote a 'concise' dictionary? Or maybe check more than one definition?

You are a slut. Live with it, darlin'.

Oooh, and there goes any credibility you wanted from your argument. That's always pretty satisfying, when someone you're arguing with throws away any chance of being taken seriously with a silly ad hom. Excuse me while I do my victory dance.
Mayfly
Oh, I'm in Oxford so that's probably why I have access. Does it really not work? How bizarre. Of all the things to charge for...

It used to be free, in the last few weeks they've made it exclusive, it made me very sad :frown:
Reply 88
missygeorgia

Bottom line- there is no excuse for calling sexually liberated women sluts. There is definitely a reason for calling you a dickwad.

Are we using the Sex in the City definition of sexually liberated here? i.e. you are only sexually liberated if the only thing you talk about is sex, and you take as much cock as is humanly possible? How empowering:rolleyes:. I fail to see how feminists such as yourself can complain about the sexualisation of women in society when it is quite clearly women who are doing it to themselves. Our idea of what decency is isn't exactly arbitary; if a woman sleeps around chances are she will end up having an abortion or an illegitimate child. Seeing as she has the ultimate right to decide on the childs survival it should ultimately be down to her to make sure she doesn't get pregnant outside of a relationship where the child can be cared for, and that means not being a slut.
HCD

The full OED, you will note, had:

" b. In playful use, or without serious imputation of bad qualities."

If you read the examples following you'll see it's certainly not the usage of the word that you're referring too. Not that it matters, since you're a joke.
trm90
If a good female friend was promiscuous would you call her a slut to her face? Seriously, be honest here.

Yes, but I would do the same to any male friends who behaved in the same manner. A female sleeping around is definitely not any more immoral than a man sleeping around, if it is immoral at all. If technically and equipmentally(!) speaking sex is for purposes of reproduction then I don't see how it makes a difference who is doing the sleeping around.
Elipsis
Are we using the Sex in the City definition of sexually liberated here? i.e. you are only sexually liberated if the only thing you talk about is sex, and you take as much cock as is humanly possible? How empowering:rolleyes:. I fail to see how feminists such as yourself can complain about the sexualisation of women in society when it is quite clearly women who are doing it to themselves. Our idea of what decency is isn't exactly arbitary; if a woman sleeps around chances are she will end up having an abortion or an illegitimate child. Seeing as she has the ultimate right to decide on the childs survival it should ultimately be down to her to make sure she doesn't get pregnant, and that means not being a slut.

Not even going to bother responding, since most of your post is completely irrelevent to anything I've been arguing on this thread.
Reply 92
missygeorgia
Not even going to bother responding, since most of your post is completely irrelevent to anything I've been arguing on this thread.

isnt that a response? :confused:
tom//
isnt that a response? :confused:

Well, yeah, but you know what I mean.
Reply 94
HCD
Yes I have done :thanks:

And if you met a girl - say I dont know, a friend of a friend you've just started speaking to - who was promiscuous you would have absolutely no problem with calling her a slut to her face? And you'd say in a totally serious, non-playful fashion?

iwaskristen
Yes, but I would do the same to any male friends who behaved in the same manner.

So do you think promiscuity in general is immoral, or do you use the word slut playfully?
Reply 95
Elipsis
Are we using the Sex in the City definition of sexually liberated here? i.e. you are only sexually liberated if the only thing you talk about is sex, and you take as much cock as is humanly possible? How empowering:rolleyes:. I fail to see how feminists such as yourself can complain about the sexualisation of women in society when it is quite clearly women who are doing it to themselves.

No, I seriously doubt she's using that definition. I find it amusing that you don't actually know whether she's using that definition yet go on to assume she is using using that definition in order to insult her.

elipsis
Our idea of what decency is isn't exactly arbitary; if a woman sleeps around chances are she will end up having an abortion or an illegitimate child. Seeing as she has the ultimate right to decide on the childs survival it should ultimately be down to her to make sure she doesn't get pregnant outside of a relationship where the child can be cared for, and that means not being a slut.

Or use condoms. Did mummy not teach you about them?
Reply 96
O-Ren

Or use condoms. Did mummy not teach you about them? Maybe that's why she had you.

snap :rofl:
Reply 97
missygeorgia
Oooh, and there goes any credibility you wanted from your argument. That's always pretty satisfying, when someone you're arguing with throws away any chance of being taken seriously with a silly ad hom. Excuse me while I do my victory dance.

It would be nice if the world worked like that wouldn't it, you silly little slut. Alas, it does not. :console: You are a promiscuous wench, this much can be inferred. "Morals" are a grey area to be sure. However, promiscuity is seen as immoral by the conservative types. They would call you "promiscuous", as opposed to "slut", but would still consider you to be highly immoral; probably more so than those who would brand you "slut". Would you prefer to be called "promiscuous" than "slut"? :holmes:
Reply 98
missygeorgia

I believe this thread is arguing about the morals of sleeping around and whether women should be called sluts for doing so. Your argument was that 'sexually liberated' women who choose to abuse this right to the max shouldn't be called sluts, mine was the opposite.
HCD
It would be nice if the world worked like that wouldn't it, you silly little slut. Alas, it does not. :console: You are a promiscuous wench, this much can be inferred. "Morals" are a grey area to be sure. However, promiscuity is seen as immoral by the conservative types. They would call you "promiscuous", as opposed to "slut", but would still consider you to be highly immoral; probably more so than those who would brand you "slut". Would you prefer to be called "promiscuous" than "slut"? :holmes:

Oh, mega-lol. This is just funny now. Do continue.

Latest

Trending

Trending