The Student Room Group

c2 help - logs

Scroll to see replies

Well what don't you get about it?????????

Reply 21
The initial bit. The markscheme confuses me :/
I would have thought it would be 512 = x^2
but the markscheme says if I do it that way it should be 512 = 2^9. or diffo ways of writing that with logs...
Reply 22
nuodai
In a geometric sequence you go to the next term by multiplying by the common ratio, and go to the previous term by dividing by the common ratio. So, if the sequence has first term a1a_1, then a2=a1ra_2 = a_1r, and a3=a2r=a1r2a_3 = a_2r = a_1r^2.

Here, you're given the values of a1,a2,a3a_1, a_2, a_3 in terms of kk, and you're told to show that something is equal to zero. Now, since we know that a2=a1ra_2 = a_1r and a3=a2ra_3 = a_2r, we get the result that r=a2a1=a3a2r = \dfrac{a_2}{a_1} = \dfrac{a_3}{a_2} (which is incidentally also why it's called the "common ratio", because an+1an=r\dfrac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = r for any n, but that's outside of the scope of this question).

Since rr=0r - r = 0, we can replace the first r by a3a2\dfrac{a_3}{a_2} and the second r by a2a1\dfrac{a_2}{a_1} and set them equal to zero. Writing these in terms of kk gives 2k15kkk+4=0\dfrac{2k-15}{k} - \dfrac{k}{k+4} = 0. Multiplying through by k(k+4)k(k+4) gives (2k15)(k+4)k2=0(2k-15)(k+4) - k^2 = 0... try and guess what you have to do now :p:

You were the one willing to help me step by step, so thought you might be able to help me with 8b) as well on the above linked paper.
Thanks in advance :wink:
Reply 23
bob2009
You were the one willing to help me step by step, so thought you might be able to help me with 8b) as well on the above linked paper.
Thanks in advance :wink:

Is that the one with log232+log216log2x=log2x\dfrac{\log_2 32 + \log_2 16}{\log_2 x} = \log_2 x? If so, start by multiplying through by log2x\log_2 x. Also notice that, on the LHS, 32 and 16 are both powers of 2, so if 32=2p32 = 2^p and 16=2q16 = 2^q then log232+log216=p+q\log_2 32 + \log_2 16 = p + q. With this information, you should be able to finish it off.

Spoiler

Reply 24
Original post by born_to_be_different

Original post by born_to_be_different
Hey!

Its quite a long solution, so I took a picture of my worked solution (which is correct.) You can find it at:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4513/img0409c.jpg

I apologise about my handwriting :L I remember when I did this paper, I rushed it :L
If you cant understand it still, please do ask me :smile:

I know this is an old thread but I dont understand how the inequality swithces round it should be n<number which doesn't make sensce

Quick Reply

Latest