The Student Room Group

Where do vets find jobs?

This might seem a stupid question, but just out of interest (and boredom) i was trying to have a look at what jobs are out there for once i qualify, which is ages away anyway, but like i said, im bored! Anyway, i basically couldn't find any! There are quite a lot in the south of england, but i think ive come across about 4 in the whole of Scotland. Im thinking (and hoping!) that there is a secret place vets know about for jobs, does anyone know? Because all the jobs I found required experience, but there're loads of graduates coming out each year, who obviously do find jobs, so i dont get where im going wrong! Does anyone know the mystery?
I think Vet magazines, like the Vet Record, have a lot in them and on their websites.
Reply 2
ah ok, i thought that might be the case, but i subscribe to UK vet and ive never seen a job offer! i guess they dont have a jobs section!
Reply 3
you can see the vet record ones online
Reply 4
yeh thanks i just had a look, still not that many though! i think there was about 100ish in the whole of the UK, but surely there must be at least 600 students graduating this year (im guessing numbers, i have no idea how big the classes are at each of the unis)
Reply 5
Remember some people go abroad, others into research, some into teaching or further study etc etc ...

I know some places will actively recruit from Vet schools aswell, so will never advertise...
I graduated this year and in the Vet Record there were never many more than 150 jobs each week. There were new ones each week but most stay in there for a good month or so. Pretty much everyone in my year now has a job but it takes a good 3-4mths till most people are employed. And as for Scotland - there are very, very, very few jobs there - they get snapped up very quickly and usually by people with experience - especially mixed jobs. The Vet Record is the main place but there are other recruitment agencies who have a few more. And truly mixed jobs are few and far between.

A large number of students (esp. overseas) will go home after qualifying so that cuts down the number of graduates in the UK looking for a job here.
Reply 7
Oh no i really dont want to leave scotland!!!!! I wonder why, thats very strange, we have just as many animals as you guys!
If you're willing to travel around a bit you will find work. I know of a couple of practices locally which have struggled to fill vacancies, some have advertised for well over a year.
Reply 9
Where are the vet jobs?
Vet Record, weekly newspaper 'The Vet Times' and veterinary recruitment agencies - many are online. Have a brief look at www.vetrecordjobs.co.uk. You will notice that salaries are rarely published!
Reply 10
Vet Record is usually a good starting point for job searches. Or check out Vet Times. There are other online recruitment places but these are the two most reliable for new grads; leave the other sites for people searching locum positions/permanent jobs requiring experience.
Vet publications - Vet Record, Vet Times, etc
Vet Recruitment Agencies
EMS/Foster Practice Placements - leave a good impression on your EMS placements and you may be offered a job or be recommended to other local practices

Latest

Trending

Trending