The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I intend to take a gap year and then reapply for English Lit and Creative Writing, and I really agree with this degree.
Throughout the years, especially in Classical times, young artists (broad sense of art) would always be taught by the masters of that specific art, whether it was Philosophy, poetry, art, or science and maths (which we can broadly call art, as their work was theoretical and imaginative). I think that how we class a degree in our minds; as a process in which we are taught, is wrong for Creative Writing - surely it must be a more vocational subject, thus we are not so much taught as 'mused.'
Plus, creative writing is not an occupation that brings instant dividends (if any at all) and the thought of having three years in which to harness one's skills seems like a unique opportunity; I certainly feel that it's the ripest time to acheive this with minimal disruption.
However, I do disagree with the marking of creative writing. One cannot discretely mark poetry. Whilst it is true that we obviously make assumptions that a piece of poetry is good or bad - Poet Laureates being the top of their field, to crudely grade them on a numerical scale is preposterous. But nevertheless, it is a lovely degree in my eyes, even if somewhat aspirational...
Reply 21
In response to Diachrom's very true post: My AS coursework was half poetry, and somehow they managed to grade that. Though I've no idea as to how, as none of my eng lang teachers actually write poetry. I think that they just thought, "well she's never had anything below an A yet, so if we put an A on this, the moderators will sort it out". Hopefully it will be different at degree level.

And I'm not sure that Andrew Motion is *really* the top of the poetry heap. Hmm.
Reply 22
Both the previous posts have cheered me up. Just applying for cheeseburger posts so I can pay for the musing! :wink:
Reply 23
I don't quite understand how Andrew Motion got to be Poet Laureate. But then again, if Betjeman was one, then they could let anyone in :smile:
Reply 24
Mwahahaha. Ahem.

I think that Andrew Motion got it because other people were either too contraversial, or didn't want it. On the other hand, I heard him read once and he was rather good. Its unfortunate that you get to the top of your poetry-writing career, become poet laureate, and then are forced to write insipid odes to Prince William.
Reply 25
so does anyone have any more information on the course at liverpool john moores, it looks interesting, but id like to know wat other people think of it because prospectus views are obviously incredibly biased.

Latest

Trending

Trending