The Student Room Group
I doubt its enough to do any harm, unless you start physically touching the uranium for long periods of time over a few months
Reply 2
You got the rubbish uranium, 235 is where it's at. :biggrin:
Reply 3
where did you get that from?
Reply 4
Srxjer
Hey everyone, I have a very small amount of pure Uranium, in a sealed glass ampoule. I was wondering if it's radioactive enough to cause me any harm if I kept it on my shelf. Or should I just get rid of it? Thanks.

EDIT: Oh btw, it is real because I've tested it on a Geiger counter.

youve got the fake version in my eyes :yes: (what I really meanis it isnt strong enough to do any harm). IF you need stronger msg me.
Reply 5
FFS spoiler that picture, it's burning my eyes!
Good Apollo
It's 99.8% the non-radioactive kind. You're in no danger.

All uranium is radioactive:

U-238 is an alpha emitter with a half-life of 4.5 x 109 years
Srxjer
Hey everyone, I have a very small amount of pure Uranium, in a sealed glass ampoule. I was wondering if it's radioactive enough to cause me any harm if I kept it on my shelf. Or should I just get rid of it? Thanks.

EDIT: Oh btw, it is real because I've tested it on a Geiger counter.

If you can detect radioactivity through the glass with a Geiger counter you don't want to have it around.
Reply 8
Stick in a lead box, you'll be fine.
Reply 9
You should try taking it to some sort of chemical or medical lab nearby and ask them to check it out for you. Or you could always find a big lead box :biggrin:

Why do you want to keep it anyway? :P
Reply 10
Lead box ftw. How did you get hold of it?
If you tested it with a GM tube, just see how many clicks it gives off - if not many just leave it :P
Reply 12
There's an article somewhere on Wikipedia on how much radiation is enough to cause noticeable effects. Use your Geiger counter to measure the radiation and compare.
You're probably going to die OP...
What possible use is that? What are you going to do with it, enrich it and undo a lock with the worlds smallest nuclear explosion?
Reply 15
why on earth would you want it? if you think it makes you look cool then it might be best if you did get sick

anyway, reminds me of http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Exploding-Chewing-Gum-Ukraine-Man-Killed-In-Konotop-After-Dipping-Gum-In-Unknown-Substance---Report/Article/200912215496442

Latest