The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Which Elasticities?

Price Elasticity? Elastic or Inelastic markets? Elastic demand curve, please elaborate so we can help further.
All it is is measuring quantitatively how sensitive demand/supply of a good is with a change in Price. i.e. if you increase price will demand decrease by the same percentage or will it decrease by more or less.

Simplest way i can explain it. did that help?
Reply 3
hamzab
Which Elasticities?

Price Elasticity? Elastic or Inelastic markets? Elastic demand curve, please elaborate so we can help further.

just all of it lol :/

yeah that helped to give me a basic idea :smile: im not sure how to approach a question on elasticity either.

oh found a question that i do not understand at all :P

"an airline announces that it is slashing fares on all its flights given a fare reduction of 35% what would be the expected percentage rise in demand for those flights if the company has estimated their price elasticity demand as -2.0?"
Reply 4
Ok, take a normal good for instance. As income increases, demand for it increases, meaning supply should increase, resulting in it having a Price Elasticity of Supply at 1.

Give me an example of an elasticity question you are stuck on.
Reply 5
i have an elasticity question above now :smile:
Reply 6
you are :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:
Reply 7
its not my fault i dont understand this stuff.. its the stupid teachers ive tried i cant teach it myself, and dont exactly understand what the question wants.
Reply 8
ttocserp
you are :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:

Extremely constructive comment there old chap! Now :snow::snow::snow::snow: off!

EDIT: If I had known you were such an Arrogant :snow::snow::snow::snow: I wouldn't have helped YOU at your time of need. Struggling to get a A in Business studies? Now that's just shameful prick!
Reply 9
Jordenfruitbat
its not my fault i dont understand this stuff.. its the stupid teachers ive tried i cant teach it myself, and dont exactly understand what the question wants.

What textbook or Revision guide do you use mate?
Reply 10
Elasticity measures the responsiveness of something following a change in whatever.
Price elasticity of demand measures the responsiveness of demand following a change in price.
Income elasticity of demand measures the responsiveness of demand following a change in income.
You get the idea...

Also, an inelastic demand curve has a very steep gradient but dont use that term in an exam - always use inelastic and its worth mentioning how inelastic for a bit of evaluation.
An elastic demand curve has a very low gradient and is almost horizontal, again always use elastic in nature to describe it.

Any other help, just PM me.
i use an alain anderton textbook fifth edition.
thanks for the help thrash, that helped quite a bit :smile:
Reply 12
Jordenfruitbat
i use an alain anderton textbook fifth edition.
thanks for the help thrash, that helped quite a bit :smile:

Thats the exact same book I use, big yellow one. They're the the best books out for Econ revision IMO.

Have you read through the elasticities chapters?
yeah thats the one... i did but i didnt understand it, i might have a read through in a bit now, thrash gave me a basic overview.
Reply 14
http://www.youtube.com/user/pajholden?blend=1&ob=4

search for his videos. hope this helps
Reply 15
Jordenfruitbat
just all of it lol :/

yeah that helped to give me a basic idea :smile: im not sure how to approach a question on elasticity either.

oh found a question that i do not understand at all :P

"an airline announces that it is slashing fares on all its flights given a fare reduction of 35% what would be the expected percentage rise in demand for those flights if the company has estimated their price elasticity demand as -2.0?"

To work out that question you need to know the price elasticity of demand calculation. Basically its percentage change in QD( new QD-old QD/old QD)/percentage change in Price. This particular question is looking for the opposite of this as it already gives you what price elasticity of demand is (-2.0). You basically times that with the fare reduction which is -35. ( Remember to be careful of worded question they might include words such as reductions and falls which signal that the number is negative). So the answer should be -35 X -2.0 = 70. Hope this helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending