The Student Room Group

Help! 2 offers for 2010 medicine but really regretting it and want to do law :(

Hi guys

I currently hold 2 offers for medicine from Birmingham and Bristol and I was elated when I recieved them and very grateful as I know both universities are so competitive.

Before my application was due I had done about 4 weeks work experience- 2 in a hospital and 2 in primary care/hospices including 1 year voluntary work at a care home to reallly make sure I want to be a doctor as it's not a decision to take lightly. However after submitting my application I've done a further 3 weeks work experience on and off and it's starting to become clear I've made totally the wrong decision :frown:
I don't think I can handle becoming a doctor and it just seems like such hard work and I don't think I'm prepared for it.

My new work experience highlighted so many things that were just so so off putting and I didn't experience in my inital experience.

Having had a recent family member involved in the courts I've been going to quite a few of their trials- just a district court, nothing serious. I started to really love it so I managed to get some work experience with a relative of mine. I never knew I would love law as I did consider it before but researched it and thought it probably wasn't for me.

I now feel I've made the biggest mistake of my life and I don't know what to do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Gap year?
RollerBall
Gap year?

Very simple:smile: : withdraw application for med, and take gap year to apply for law.

You might even be able to replace the imperial application with a different one for law if they haven't replied, or the 5th choice?
Reply 3
Give me your offer.
Reply 4
Problem is I really don't want to do a gap year as I couldn't afford to do anything amazing and I don't want to take a year out particulary :frown:
Reply 5
Scherzando225
Very simple:smile: : withdraw application for med, and take gap year to apply for law.

You might even be able to replace the imperial application with a different one for law if they haven't replied, or the 5th choice?

The only problem is [and probably the biggest mistake I made] was using the 5th choice for Imperial biochemistry :frown:
I'd say stick with Medicine, I think your chances of getting a decent job are higher with that unless you have lots of connections.
Reply 7
You think Law is going to be easy?
Reply 8
OrangeStu
Give me your offer.

I actually would if I could :frown:
Reply 9
Jingers
You think Law is going to be easy?

I never said that...but they are very different careers.
Reply 10
thanks for rubbing it in
meowmeowmutiny
I'd say stick with Medicine, I think your chances of getting a decent job are higher with that unless you have lots of connections.

Hmmm well i'd definatley say that was wrong. Law isn't like that anymore and you are very likely to get a decent job as a solicitor or a barrister as long as you do well.

Anyway....as to your problem. I do Law at the University of Birmingham and can tell you that it is a very hard course and before you decide to switch you need to be 100% sure why you want to do it because unless you have the motivation you will drop out. You could always ask Birmingham or your other unis if they will offer you a place on the Law degree but this is highly unlikely as Law is highly competitive....but still...worth a shot. It will probably end up that you will have to take a gap year unfortunatley. My friend does Medicine at Birmingham and loves it though so whatever you decide...go for Birmingham! lol =]
I definitely wouldn't stick with medicine if you heart isn't in it OP. The course is so long and more than likely you would end up dropping out. Your best bet by far is to take a gap year. You dont have to do anything "amazing", you could just get a job and raise some money for uni, meaning you're not as strapped for cash as you might otherwise be. I'm not sure, but you might be able to pick up something for law through clearing later in the year, but i wouldn't recommend it. Unlike medicine, to come out with a reputable degree in law you ideally need to be at one of the better ranked universities. (this is the impression i've got from some of my friends applying to law).

Good luck :smile:
I'm sorry to say that, but it seems that you liked medicine after some work experience, too. Where's the guarantee that it won't be the same with law?
Reply 14
Regardless of wether you pursue Medicine or Law as a career, you will face a difficult and challenging (however rewarding career).

If you believe Medicine is not for you, it is best to drop out earlier, rather than later.....because if you don't stop now....you may end up withdrawing a few years down the line....spending a lot of money studying and remain qualification less.

I think you should do some experience in a law firm and still hang on to your Medicine offers. If you feel that Law is what you want to do then withdraw....there will be many in line to take your offers
Reply 15
Look withdraw from Medicine all together. If you've got no passion for it don't waste your time or anybody elses. Have you got an offer for biochem already? Because you could easily take that as a subject for three years get your BSc and then go for a law conversion course. You could also apply for one law school if you want before 15th January I think.......
Reply 16
Hold on a minute, what A levels did you do? I'm presuming you did atleast 2 sciences or 1 science and maths. What a-levels do the Law schools requires. Surely they'll be requiring certain grades in certain subjects? Won't that mean re-doing your a levels?
Reply 17
cutiepie13591
Hmmm well i'd definatley say that was wrong. Law isn't like that anymore and you are very likely to get a decent job as a solicitor or a barrister as long as you do well.

Anyway....as to your problem. I do Law at the University of Birmingham and can tell you that it is a very hard course and before you decide to switch you need to be 100% sure why you want to do it because unless you have the motivation you will drop out. You could always ask Birmingham or your other unis if they will offer you a place on the Law degree but this is highly unlikely as Law is highly competitive....but still...worth a shot. It will probably end up that you will have to take a gap year unfortunatley. My friend does Medicine at Birmingham and loves it though so whatever you decide...go for Birmingham! lol =]

What is Birmingham like as a university? Do you enjoy it?
Is Birmingham a reputable univesity to graduate with a law degree? (I know universities are irrelevant for job prospects with medics).
this is so unfair! people who dont want to do it get offers and those who despiratly do are sitting here with none! grr.

anyway, yeh, if i were you i would go on a gap year, and work out what you really want to do. sleep on it, dont make any quick decisions, but if your heart is not in medicine you are really going to struggle in med school and as a doctor.
Reply 19
Thanks for the advice guys.

I have an offer for biochemistry but I don't think I'll like it very much.
In terms of subjects I do Biology,Chemistry,History and French. I got A's @ AS and 10.5A*s at GCSE so I'm hoping my academics won't be a problem with law schools.

I'm just so depressed right now :frown: I reallly don't want to sound ungrateful but it's getting me down. I don't know what to tell my parents either. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending