The Student Room Group

Access course - Best uni for Comp Sci degree?

I'll be starting my Access course in September, with the intention of doing a computer science degree in a uni that accepts the diploma.

My question is: if I achieved a distinction, which uni would be the best choice? Mainly in terms of the degree's quality, not the uni overall. Also, what would be the best subject choices while I'm doing Access? I know maths is essential but I'm unsure on the others.

A bit about me: I'll be 21 by the time I go uni and I'm not exactly the most social of creatures (at the moment), so really I'll be going to uni for the degree, not the 'experience' though that may well change before I go.

Thanks for any advice chaps.
Reply 1
I've had a look around and I found a course at UWE for Computer Systems Integration which seems to be better suited to me (I'm more interested in the technical side of things), do any other uni's offer a course similar to this?

Link: http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/G402/2010
Flibbles
I'll be starting my Access course in September, with the intention of doing a computer science degree in a uni that accepts the diploma.

My question is: if I achieved a distinction, which uni would be the best choice? Mainly in terms of the degree's quality, not the uni overall. Also, what would be the best subject choices while I'm doing Access? I know maths is essential but I'm unsure on the others.

A bit about me: I'll be 21 by the time I go uni and I'm not exactly the most social of creatures (at the moment), so really I'll be going to uni for the degree, not the 'experience' though that may well change before I go.

Cambridge is the best for computer science and they accept Access qualifications.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Computer+Science&x=45&y=12&sub=18
UWE is not good, 49th. It makes a difference.

E-mail the universities you are interested in and ask them which Access subjects/pathway they prefer. They may tell you Access to Social Sciences.
Reply 3
Cheers! I'll contact Cambridge and see what they say.
Reply 4
Im doing an OCR National Level 3 and when I emailed uni's they said they didnt accept it or theyd ask for increased entry requirements.
For example to do Computer Science at Bath, they said id need AAA before theyd even consider me and even then it wasnt guaranteed. Same with Warwick and Imperial said they didnt accept it.

Although I applied to Bath for another course and they made me a reduced offer! So what they say in emails isnt set in stone.
Flibbles

Hey,

Have you heard of York ? It has a very good computing science department and accepts access/foundation courses(gives a list of colleges it has links with),so i guess you could always e-mail them.As you would expect,the requirements are high but that is to be expected.
I know Southampton have a top Comp Science school and they refuse access due to insufficient maths (even if it's a distinction) and offer you
the foundation route.

Latest

Trending

Trending