The Student Room Group

Can't sleep without sound

I don't know if this is a genuinely important health 'complaint' as it were, it's just to announce that I really can't sleep without some kind of audio going on. I sleep with the radio or tv or movie on every night.

For the last two nights I have tried to sleep as easily as I do but in silence. I was awake for two hours just lying there, waiting until I got impatient and ratty enough to put a podcast on. I was asleep in ten minutes then.

I'm not really worried, I mean I'll just keep doing it if its the only way I'll sleep.
However what I'd like to know is that in the long term, is this going to harm me in any way? Though I do sleep peacefully, am I not sleeping as well as I could be in silence and is this therefore affecting my performance during the day?

Its not a normal thing to do I know so is it wrong?

Have you got any ideas to wean me off the music and back to sleeping like a normal person?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm the same, I usually go to sleep with either something from Radio 4 on the iPlayer, or listen to my DAB radio with the sleep timer on. If I'm ready for bed often I'm asleep in less than five minutes. Without sound it takes me ages, I have to get comfortable, I'm easily distracted. When my friend stayed for a few weeks I couldn't have the radio on as it would disturb her, took me a few days to get used to going to sleep in silence, and even then it wasn't as easy as it is with a radio.
Do you think it could be because u have kind of told yourself that you can not sleep without sound by now.

Does that make sense? I didnt explain that well at all
Kink
I don't know if this is a genuinely important health 'complaint' as it were, it's just to announce that I really can't sleep without some kind of audio going on. I sleep with the radio or tv or movie on every night.

For the last two nights I have tried to sleep as easily as I do but in silence. I was awake for two hours just lying there, waiting until I got impatient and ratty enough to put a podcast on. I was asleep in ten minutes then.

I'm not really worried, I mean I'll just keep doing it if its the only way I'll sleep.
However what I'd like to know is that in the long term, is this going to harm me in any way? Though I do sleep peacefully, am I not sleeping as well as I could be in silence and is this therefore affecting my performance during the day?

Have you got any ideas to wean me off the music and back to sleeping like a normal person?

OMG! I have exactly the same problem. But well, it doesn't bother me at all :rolleyes: I just hate silence xD

It doesn't affect me in any way, so I think you'll be fine.
Reply 4
Same, I always listen to either the BBC world service, The Economist podcast, Radio 4 or Live at the Apollo. Sometimes I just leave youtube playing about a Russian documentary for A Levels and I remember the stuff in the morning lol. All thanks to the iPhone 3G S
Reply 5
It will not harm you in anyway as long as the volume isnt too loud of course, especially with earphones that is. Some people use podcasts and audio tapes to help them learn things during their sleep. It is rather normal as far as I know. I know people who after accidents are in constant pain and the only way to distract themselves at night is via sound. The only way I could see you changing this is if you go to bed REALLY tired and fall asleep regardless of background noise or not. Keep this up for a week or two maybe?
Hope this helped:smile:
Reply 6
Be thankful you can hear silence. All I hear at night is a high-pitched "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".
Reply 7
Ah total opposite, I can't sleep unless it's total silence. If someone's still awake in the house and moving around I can't fall asleep at all. It's ruddy annoying, I'll swap half of mine for half of yours and we can meet in the middle and be normal :p:
Reply 8
C.C.G
Be thankful you can hear silence. All I hear at night is a high-pitched "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

Tinnitus? :s-smilie:
I used to do that! I stopped doing it after we went on a residential in High School because by the time we came to sleep we were absolutely knackered and slept like logs and by the time I got home again I didn't need to leave my TV on overnight. I'd recommend doing some exercise about an hour before bed, then maybe having a nice relaxing hot chocolate and going to bed. Not sure if it'll work but I hope so. :/
Reply 10
fire2burn
Tinnitus? :s-smilie:

:sadnod: standing too close to the speakers at gigs/clubs, me thinks.
C.C.G
:sadnod: standing too close to the speakers at gigs/clubs, me thinks.

That'd get thoroughly annoying, do you ever hear it when there's background noise to block it out or just during silence?

A friend of mine has it from djing in clubs without wearing ear protection he can hear it pretty much constantly now even with loud background noises like people talking.
Reply 12
i'm the same. For years now haven't been able to sleep in silence... maybe it's the fact that you think too much? I blame being alowed to have a tv in my rooom! I used to always fall asleep watching something like a film when I was younger and for some reason it's stuck.

I did camp america over the summer - One of the hardest things having to sleep in a room full of 10 + people and it's silent. So i'd use my ipod at first but then the battery always used to run out - anyway by the end of the days there I was Soooo tired that i'd actually fall asleep without anything and as soon as my head hit the pillow I was gone. So maybe you need to wear yourself out physically?
Reply 13
Kink

omg i didnt know thewre was anyone else like that, i sleep everynight with the tv on.
C.C.G

I used to have that mostly till my late teens but even my early twenties, I have it now but its very low and not that audible and I only notice if I I think of it.
I always have the tv on to sleep and put the picture off. It's fine :smile:
Reply 16
I've been going to sleep with the tv/radio/podcast on since I was about 12 - now 12 years later and I still have to do it but I don't think it's damaged me or anything..
C.C.G

I get that, and I can't sleep without sound....classic fm :biggrin:

I thought it was the phone chrager by my bed...so I took it out and it helped a bit....but its soooooooooo annoying, any clues on how to get rid of it?
i always have a fan on, whether its in the middle of summer or if its freezing like now :P
i had the exact same problem until my radio broke and i was forced to sleep without noise.. now i just read and i usually fall asleep after about 15 minutes...

Latest