The Student Room Group

Marrying your cousin, Right or Wrong?

This poll is closed

Marrying your cousin?

It's fine.12%
I wouldn't do it, but I don't think others doing it is wrong.28%
It's disgusting and incestuous, anyone wanting that sort of thing should be locked up!13%
I think it's wrong, but if I loved someone I might.9%
It's wrong, and I think anyone who considers it is wrong.37%
I don't have any cousins, so I wouldn't know.1%
Total votes: 372
After a discussion at college a few days ago, I'd be interested to know what everyone on here thought. By cousin I mean the child of one of your parents siblings. Soo, right or wrong?

Let's remember it's legal in Britain, and we are talking about marriage, not having children.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wrong- when i was doing work experience in a hospital there was a tiny baby with a multitude of things wrong with him because his parents were first cousins.
Wrong.

/thread.
I'm not a fan. ^
Reply 4
wrong, poll would have been a good idea
Reply 5
eww wrong:wtf:
There is nothing wrong with it.
Reply 7
I can't see anything wrong with it really looking at it from a social point of view.

Wouldn't want it to be me though.
Reply 8
yuck yuck yucky
ewwwwwwwwwwwww
soo wrong / thread
Shouldn't be locked up, that's ridiculous but it seems and there's clear evidence that incest is not good for the human race on a general scale.
Incest is wrong, not just on a social level but on a biological level which should really be considered.
I think I read something recently about the risk of birth defects only being increased by ~2%.

That's a purely scientific viewpoint, I wouldn't myself.
Wrong, wrong, SO WRONG. I don't care that it's legal, they're your family.
it depends if they had kids or not
its wrong, but it would be so much worse if kids were involved
Reply 14
i wouldnt do it, but i dont mind it.

but my nans cousin married her first cousin and had twins, one was deformed :/
Depends on how attractive the cousin is.
Reply 16
you share the same grandparents :zomg:
I have two points to make:

1] It is true that children whose parents are cousins have a greater disposition to certain birth defects - however the question is regarding marrying your cousin, not having kids with your cousin.

2] There are a few people on the thread saying "Eww it's wrong" and "That's disgusting" etc.
Why is it perfectly acceptable to say this about cousin marriages - but if anyone said that about say, a homosexual relationship, they're suddenly a bigot?
tazarooni89

1] It is true that children whose parents are cousins have a greater disposition to certain birth defects - however the question is regarding marrying your cousin, not having kids with your cousin.

2] There are a few people on the thread saying "Eww it's wrong" and "That's disgusting" etc.
Why is it perfectly acceptable to say this about cousin marriages - but if anyone said that about say, a homosexual relationship, they're suddenly a bigot?

I don't think you can compare incest to homosexuality...
tazarooni89

Theres always one isn't there
Always one who wants to make it about the gays

Latest

Trending

Trending