The Student Room Group
It does suck! Are you sure there aren't any other private societies that give out bursaries?
Reply 2
PhoenixFortune
It does suck! Are you sure there aren't any other private societies that give out bursaries?

The bursary guy I spoke to said the only help is through student finance (for obtaining a loan etc).

It's an NHS course so should be funded for.
It depends which course you go for. Some are funded by the local ambulance trust, eg. I get my fees paid for and also get a monthly bursary. If you look around you'll find quite a few funded courses.
Reply 4
i think its because paramedics work for a trust that are contracted by the nhs, and work for their trust not for the nhs directly. I may be wrong but that is what i was told, East Midlands Ambulance service pay fee's for their students at Sheffield Hallam.
it very much depends on the university and ambulance trust you are with. For instance staffs university and wmas pay the course fee's plus you receive a monthly payment of £263.00 you are still entitled to a maintenance grant if you are a low earning family but the rules are still unclear regarding eligibility for student loans from student finance england. Usually you will not qualify for a student loan if you get a bursary but it very much depends on how much you get. If its 6k a year which is common dont expect a student loan too. if its less than 6k u may well get one. hope this helps folks.
the fundamental problem is that Ambulance training budgets are still fully controlled by the trusts rather than the top sliced arrangement in place for the majority of other courses,

some trusts have seen paying a bursary equivalent to that paid to Diploma St/Nurses as a cash saving also as a way of not tying the trust into having to employ those who complete the course but maybe aren't quite what the trust would like

some trusts continue to employ their student paramedics and then either use an in house level 4 equivalent course (EMAS clinical student for example ) or an external HE course e.g. YAS and NEAS and the Teesside Uni course.

unless and until the HPC stop accepting 'equivalent to level 4' courses it;s unlikely that the wholesale move to courses being funded in exactly the same way as other Student Health professional courses won't happen
samvick1991
i think its because paramedics work for a trust that are contracted by the nhs, and work for their trust not for the nhs directly. I may be wrong but that is what i was told, East Midlands Ambulance service pay fee's for their students at Sheffield Hallam.

So do nurses... they work for a trust (hospital trust, or PCT or whatever)

Latest