The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They're all great unis, so wherever you go you're bound to have a great time and education. Sheffield is my favourite out of the three (as a fellow languages applicant) but IMO you're best off deciding which course is best for you and having look round.
Reply 2
They are all average unis and your course is not really competitive so just take the one which seems most fun to study in.

BTW by average I mean not impressive but not bad either.
Reply 3
Go see the Uni for yourself. Ranking tables do not mean everything. Check to see if the place is right for you.
Reply 4
Well which one do you like? You're going to do better somewhere you like.
go to www.unistats.com It'll tell you the job prospects, student numbers, student satisfaction etc for each uni and the subject you apply to - a lot more reliable than league tables.
I would personally go for shef.

Ultimately they are all roughly as good as each other, so go for the one you get the best feeling from or which ticks more of your personal boxes.
Reply 7
Manchester, but ideally the University of Tokyo :biggrin:
Go for the hardest one to get in? :P Does it really matter much with languages what uni you do to go to btw?
Reply 9
My japanese teacher went to Sheffield (not for Japanese though...) but she learnt Japanese when her husband became a diplomat in Japan from Manchester Uni. Manchester has the best Japanese centre in the UK. :smile:
Subscribing to give input later.
Reply 11
Installation
Go for the hardest one to get in? :P Does it really matter much with languages what uni you do to go to btw?

Yes, it does. Some universities will offer you a literature-based course (Oxford being a champion in the category), some will offer you a much more flexible course and you'll be able to pick History, Literature, Politics modules as well as free ones so you can do a third language or Law/Politics/Business modules. Also, you do want to consider how the year abroad works at each university because they're all different, and where you can go during this year (Oxbridge giving complete freedom of choice to their students, other unis, not really). So yeah, depending on what you want to do, you'd better be careful about your uni choice for a language degree :smile:
Anatheme
Yes, it does. Some universities will offer you a literature-based course (Oxford being a champion in the category), some will offer you a much more flexible course and you'll be able to pick History, Literature, Politics modules as well as free ones so you can do a third language or Law/Politics/Business modules. Also, you do want to consider how the year abroad works at each university because they're all different, and where you can go during this year (Oxbridge giving complete freedom of choice to their students, other unis, not really). So yeah, depending on what you want to do, you'd better be careful about your uni choice for a language degree :smile:

Oh right, fair enough. I'm not personally doing a language degree but that was useful. :p:
Reply 13
Manchester or Sheffield.

Although Manchester does look a lot better eventhough I declined it.
Reply 14
I've heard that Sheffield is the best after SOAS for Japanese. Manchester's Japanese centre is really new (apparently) so hasn't really got heard about yet. I don't know anything about Leeds. I'd pick Sheffield from those three, but if I were you I'd read up about each one's course to see which sounds best to you - for example in Leeds your year abroad would be 2nd year instead of 3rd.
I applied to leeds and sheffield. The only reason i turned them down was because their year abroad was the second year. I dont know how much japanese you have done but i felt that going abroad after only one year instead of 2 was not the best idea because i would not have learnt enough to get by. However, both their syllabuses are really good and if you arent worried about a slight challenge then go for it.

I may be biased, seeing as i'm from manchester, but i love the city and i also think that the course is brilliant. The only problem was it was so close to home, but apparently, its language centre is really good.

In the end it's up to you, you know how you work under pressure, and i feel i would have been under more of that at leeds or sheffield because of the earlier year abroad.

In terms of night life there is not a lot to choose between them. I have done 3 in leeds and sheffield and thought it was amazing and i've done a lot more in manchester. I think they are all really good and there is so much to do in all of them even if clubbing isnt really your thing. =]

The best thing to do is go to them all, find out where you feel more comfortable and choose that one. Its a better indicator than going on league tables alone.

Good luck, and take care.

Mike. x
Reply 16
bighairedmike
I applied to leeds and sheffield. The only reason i turned them down was because their year abroad was the second year.

For Japanese at Sheffield the year abroad is the third year, not the second. It's only Leeds that goes abroad second year AFAIK.
Tefhel
For Japanese at Sheffield the year abroad is the third year, not the second. It's only Leeds that goes abroad second year AFAIK.

I actually applied for Chinese, not Japanese, but seeing as it was the school of east asian studies i thought they were both the same. My bad. :smile:

The rest of my information is factually correct. :p:
Reply 18
bighairedmike
I actually applied for Chinese, not Japanese, but seeing as it was the school of east asian studies i thought they were both the same. My bad. :smile:

The rest of my information is factually correct. :p:

Oh OK, I thought you'd made a horrible mistake haha :smile: Yeah I saw that about Chinese, I wonder why they're different. For Leeds you go away for 2nd year in Japanese, but I agree, I definitely don't think I'd be advanced enough to really get the most out of it.
Reply 19
Kamia
My japanese teacher went to Sheffield (not for Japanese though...) but she learnt Japanese when her husband became a diplomat in Japan from Manchester Uni. Manchester has the best Japanese centre in the UK. :smile:

Actually, Sheffield is much better known for Japanese Studies, and Leeds actually. The course at Manchester is relatively newer. But, as several people have already they're all good unis so choose the one you're going to most enjoy being at for the next 4 years :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending