The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
It's basically as Butler is the only fully self-catered college, and most people, when given the choice, would rather be catered for. Plus it's brand new, and the furthest college from the arts departments.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
AndyBursh
I've noticed surprisingly few people applying to Josephine Butler for accommodation. Is it just a coincidence that the people on here have all applied for other colleges, or is there something I don't know? :O

I applied, and was accepted, to Josephine Butler.

I noticed this too, after I had applied.
I suppose it probably depends on what you're looking for in a college, and Butler seemed the best option to me.
Like you said though, I hope there isn't something that I'm unaware of as to why virtually noone here has applied there :p:

Which subject did you apply for?
Reply 3
NaUmarly
I noticed this too, after I had applied.
I suppose it probably depends on what you're looking for in a college, and Butler seemed the best option to me.
Like you said though, I hope there isn't something that I'm unaware of as to why virtually noone here has applied there :p:

Which subject did you apply for?

Yeah, I really liked the look of the place. I wouldn't want to be catered for, either. What if you don't like what they're cooking?

I applied for Software Engineering. Yourself?
Reply 4
Butler is my first choice.
Reply 5
There are a lot of colleges and not a huge number of applicants using this site. There'll be plenty applying.
Reply 6
no arty people + food I know I like = Win

(just kidding, Its a shame about the arty people)
There are arty people.
Reply 8
Good stuff, I like arty people, mainly on toast (they are normaly happy to obligue)
Reply 9
AndyBursh
Yeah, I really liked the look of the place. I wouldn't want to be catered for, either. What if you don't like what they're cooking?

I applied for Software Engineering. Yourself?

Chemisty, for me :smile:

The fact that the college is fairly new was also a massive plus.
(with the added bonus of having an ensuite, and the bar sounds pretty cool) :wink:
I think lots of people like Durham because the city's so pretty and want quite a traditional college - both in terms of Hild Bede and the Bailey colleges' architecture and the formals etc. which you get at catered colleges (and there's always the argument that lots of applicants have also applied to Oxbridge colleges, and want similar colleges to those ones). Also, because the rooms are so new and all have ensuites, it's more expensive (it's a longer let, and you have to buy food/household items on top of the residence charge).
I've met a lot of people at Durham who chose a college based on its looks - and they all wanted older-looking colleges (and some formals - I think a lot of people think of eating together when they think of colleges, rather than individual flats). I would't worry about it being too far away though, it's definitely walkable (except to the education department maybe), and there's a bus stop right outside. Plus, because it's a very new college you get to have more input on its societies and everything :smile:

Latest