The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To do tonight:-finish kant versus R&E by 10pm.
-go over all RvsE before midnight
-do politics before 1am then go to bed!

Tomorrow:
-wake up extra early at 8am
-spend 2hours going over sociology/politics
-spend 4hours on conceptual schemes
-spend rest of day going over PHIL1
Reply 21
ghast
To do tonight:-finish kant versus R&E by 10pm.
-go over all RvsE before midnight
-do politics before 1am then go to bed!

Tomorrow:
-wake up extra early at 8am
-spend 2hours going over sociology/politics
-spend 4hours on conceptual schemes
-spend rest of day going over PHIL1

I'm starting politics A level netx monday!! what is it like ?!??!?!?
Reply 22
Bradzzz
I'm starting politics A level netx monday!! what is it like ?!??!?!?

as in unit1?
Reply 23
-Comprimise between empiricisim and rationalism
-Senses only show the outside, reason shows the inner meaning
-We know the world through the sensations we receive but the mind puts them in order
-Minds cannot know a chaotic world, must always be ordely & stable
-Knowledge begins with senses but must have a rational structure
-We have to use & organise experiences
-Space and time are empty forms in which we organise sensations - these are structures in the mind
-The world exists in itself but the mind can only know world of appearences known through senses
-Our minds shape the world & we all use the same categories (matter, causation, space, time) and create same worlds
-Each language creates a distinct world to those who speak it
-Phenomial world is the only world we know through 'irremovable spectacles' (veil of perception) which stops you from seeing the world as it is
-Noumenal world - true reality, unknown as it is in itself
-Kant introduced synthetic a priori - there are certain conditions needed for experience to happen, every event has a cause a priori because that is how we must experience the world.

Problem
-Each cuture creates own world - can different cultures ever communicate? EG. Eskimos have several different words for 'snow', they must think of, or experience, snow differently from us
Reply 24
ghast
as in unit1?

Yeah unit 1 :smile:, and thanks for the contribution Jane, someone had too :smile:
Reply 25
Bradzzz
Yeah unit 1 :smile:, and thanks for the contribution Jane, someone had too :smile:

Unit1 has parts that are tedious and other parts that are great... it really depend son how it is being taught! Thank god i have quite a good teacher! :woo:
Reply 26
can someone summarise Kant's views on R&E... please
Reply 27
Glad someone started this thread - I'm currently in denial that the exam's on Tuesday :p: Seems to be nobody taking the Personhood topic though ...

edit: as I was just writing this my Philosophy notes balanced the edge of my desk completely fell off and are now everywhere - if there is a God she just got revenge for my laziness :biggrin:
Reply 28
KatieY :)
Glad someone started this thread - I'm currently in denial that the exam's on Tuesday :p: Seems to be nobody taking the Personhood topic though ...

edit: as I was just writing this my Philosophy notes balanced the edge of my desk completely fell off and are now everywhere - if there is a God she just got revenge for my laziness :biggrin:

I'm doing personhood and hating it !!
Reply 29

I started it =], and personhood is sooooo hard :frown: I find God so much thorough and clearer, persons is all over the place =[
Reply 30

lol, welcome! oh and Good Luck.... i would like to think this a-level is up there with the sciences in terms of difficulty!
Reply 31
Bradzzz
I started it =], and personhood is sooooo hard :frown: I find God so much thorough and clearer, persons is all over the place =[

Yeh, there's no final answer for what counts as a person either, it's all up in the air. Ugh ! :frown:
Reply 32
janeh5
I'm doing personhood and hating it !!

Really?? I quite like it :confused: but i suppose there's quite a lots of almost ethical stuff in it - i think it's definitely easier than R+E but that's just my opinion :smile:
Reply 33
theres deffo going to be a question of conceptual schemes and the 30 marker i'm going to say is all about Rationalism :smile:

and for the God question,
Theres going to be a question on the Origin of God for the 30marker and for the 15 marker i'm thinking diving attributes-
But i'm praying the ontological argument is the 30marker cse i can go on forever writing about that hahaa

Buttt knowing the exam board and how crafty they are, theyre probably will have nothing to do with conceptual schemes on there because they know people will be revising that the most as it is likely to come up haha :biggrin:

On a good note the January exams grade boundaries are generally lower than June ( don't know why) But last year you need like 50 to get an A in January and then in June you needed something like 60+ for an A and a C was like 40+, But in January 40+ got you a B eeek! :smile:
Reply 34
zee757
theres deffo going to be a question of conceptual schemes and the 30 marker i'm going to say is all about Rationalism :smile:

and for the God question,
Theres going to be a question on the Origin of God for the 30marker and for the 15 marker i'm thinking diving attributes-
But i'm praying the ontological argument is the 30marker cse i can go on forever writing about that hahaa

Buttt knowing the exam board and how crafty they are, theyre probably will have nothing to do with conceptual schemes on there because they know people will be revising that the most as it is likely to come up haha :biggrin:

On a good note the January exams grade boundaries are generally lower than June ( don't know why) But last year you need like 50 to get an A in January and then in June you needed something like 60+ for an A and a C was like 40+, But in January 40+ got you a B eeek! :smile:

I'll rely on your prediction !!! - So what are the grade boundaries for this exam next week!!
Reply 35
Really?? I quite like it :confused: but i suppose there's quite a lots of almost ethical stuff in it - i think it's definitely easier than R+E but that's just my opinion :smile:

Haha, I'm the opposite. R&E, to me, is fairly straight forward.
Personhood, I just can't stand!

I'm trying to guess what the 30 marker could be on..there's been questions on physical & psychological continuity and non-human animals.

I'm thinking maybe machines or survival through time?
Reply 36
Bradzzz
I'll rely on your prediction !!! - So what are the grade boundaries for this exam next week!!

my guess is 38-C 45-B 53-A (bearing in min that this is just a guess)
Reply 37
im guessing roughly out of 90, for an A=53 B=46 C=39 D=32 E=25

based on JAN09 grade boundaries, however this could mark stricter marking or more 'lenient' marking or dependent on what percentage of people do well and what don't, lower % of people achieving As means a lower grade boundary lol :biggrin:
Reply 38
janeh5
I'm trying to guess what the 30 marker could be on..there's been questions on physical & psychological continuity and non-human animals.

I'm thinking maybe machines or survival through time?

I reckon but would much prefer machines to survival because I have 'views' on machines (lol i have a lot of 'views' :biggrin: ) but can't really make my mind up about survival
The best question ever would be on non-human animals but don't think we'll get it because as you said it's come up recently (last year???) :frown:
Reply 39
zee757
however this could mark stricter marking or more 'lenient' marking or dependent on what percentage of people do well and what don't, lower % of people achieving As means a lower grade boundary lol :biggrin:

Haha I hope so unless of course I'm one of the ones not doing well and lowering the grade boundaries :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending