The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm already here so i will make it certainly. I'm not so sure about other people on my course. Many people i know have gone back to their home countries and are only flying back on the 10th, a day before the first exam on my course. Flights arent easily rescheduled and there is a real possibility of them missing it if the weather is bad. Even if they do get here on time, what state are you in to sit an exam at 9am in the morning after potentially a long flight and a struggle across the country?

Should the university postpone them? its a tricky situation for them. If they say yes it will impact on the rest of the timetable until june. If they say yes, people who could turn up simply wont for extra time to revise.

To be honest, the university has left it far too late to make any proper evaluated decision other than be headstrong and say, you must get here else fill an extenuating circumstances form out.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
In my opinion, they definitely should be postponed by a week, if you want to register official annoyance then comment on the thread here: http://comms.nottingham.ac.uk/studentnews/2010/01/08/important-notice-examinations-and-weather/#comments but if they're ignoring the opinions given there then they definitely won't listen to us on here :o:
Reply 3
they may not postpone them, but for people who have had issues as you said will probably be allowed to resit the exams as a first attempt.
Reply 4
I've been back in Beeston for a week now and done plenty of revision so I don't have any particular vested interest. But I do think that the university's provisions at the moment aren't great.
I think that snow and ice is going to affect a lot more students than they've anticipated - it'll be more than the few percent that typically get extenuating circumstances. At the very least the university should consider allowing finalists who miss exams to retake them as if for the first time in the summer exam period rather than making them come back in August/September and therefore graduating late. Some final-year students could potentially lose job offers if they graduate late (e.g. if they have an offer conditional on them getting a 2:1 or First, miss the January exams due to the weather, have to retake them in August/September, and then do not graduate until the Autumn) which would be terrible.
Even worse would be the situation where a student is killed in a traffic accdient while trying to travel back in time for exams because of the weather. That's pretty much the worse-case scenario, but the university isn't making it less likely to happen.
As someone who hasn't got exams, i'm going to be mean and say they should go ahead, once they're done, they're done guys and the majority of students are already here, or can get here no problem. The roads are fine, the motorways are clear- so why not keep them for those who can? Plus I want uni to be open, so i can start 2nd year!!

Mmmwahaha
Reply 6
The updated announcement is here.
I'd like to see the SU say something about this, kinda disconcerting they're keeping quiet..
I suspect this is the end of the debate unless snow of epic proportions comes in tomorrow.
Christian_j
I suspect this is the end of the debate unless snow of epic proportions comes in tomorrow.

more of the snow dance should help
Subcutaneous
more of the snow dance should help

True, I shouldn't have stopped in order to type this! Curses! :biggrin:
I got told that when we do finally get a chance to take the exams, an extra 7% will be added to the marks you achieve. Wont be able to resit if you choose this option though.
Reply 12
benlensworth
I got told that when we do finally get a chance to take the exams, an extra 7% will be added to the marks you achieve. Wont be able to resit if you choose this option though.

Excellent - 47% it is. That's almost a 2:2 :wink:
Reply 13
benlensworth

Where did you hear that?!
Reply 14
:woo:Urgent message from the SU!!!:woo:

We are doing nothing. Carry on.

:facepalm:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
Christian_j

Keep calm and carry on, eh? :indiff:
Reply 16
"A small number of other UK universities have closed, or postponed exams, due to the bad weather. However, they have taken this difficult decision according to their local weather conditions and their individual assessment programmes. It is worth noting that, at this stage, both the Universities of Leicester and Derby are going ahead with exams in the coming week."

Do I detect a slight snub at DMU and in particular Trent, there?
Craig_D
:facepalm:

A pathetic response by the SU.
Any philosophers here,btw?
Reply 19
tomheppy
Any philosophers here,btw?

:nope: I do archaeology.

Frankly, digging in this weather for my exam on monday is gonna be a bitch.

Latest

Trending

Trending