The Student Room Group
Bristol
Southampton
Edinburgh
Manchester

But really, all four are superb. Don't write any off based on arbitrary rankings.
Reply 2
I'd say each is of similar calibre.

However when I went to visit Soton the engineering dept was undergoing a 'revamp' - complete demolition and rebuild I believe - so this put me off.
Reply 3
Southampton
Bristol
Edinburgh
Manchester
Reply 4
your best looking at course content to see which suits your interests.
Reply 5
Bristol
[small gap]
Southampton
Manchester
[small gap]
Edinburgh

edit: For Aeronautical Engineering.
Reply 6
Soton
Bristol
Manchester
Edin...

Soton all the way!
I don't know enough to rank them, but just saying, Edinburgh doesn't do aeronautical
Reply 8
Bristol
Soton
Manchester
Edinburgh

For aeronautical i'd definately say Bristol. It's the heart of the uk aerospace industry- its where AIRBUS, BAE SYSTEMS, ROLLS-ROYCE and many more are all based. for mechanical im not sure. Maybe southampton...

Its also probably a matter of preference, at Southampton there is a lot of ship+naval companies there, and F1 of course. but Bristol seems more geared towards the aeronautical side of things. Both are very good. I was personally more impressed with the Bristol engineering block. The southampton one was fairly old and grotty but I here they are completely refurbishing it -Which will probs be very nice. The Southampton Eletrical engineering bit did look very nice though, but since I was applying for aeronautical i didnt really focus on it that much. Then again Bristol have almost finished building their £80million composite building :biggrin:

Both to be honest are probably just as good as each other, its probs just a matter of preference. Bristol is non-campus, nice city, lots of culture. Southampton is campus (which I as an individual don't personally like cus it just felt kinda too much like school and institutionalised to me, but a lot of people obviously like the idea of a campus), also is a nice city. Go check them out and see for yourself.
Reply 9
Bristol and Soton are the better universities of those. I think that Bristol would have better links though, although you should look at the course content, as that should be the decided factor when comparing two universities of similar calibre. All of those universities are good though.

puscifer
Then again Bristol have almost finished building their £80million composite building :biggrin:

could you expand on this please?
Reply 10
.Theory
Bristol and Soton are the better universities of those. I think that Bristol would have better links though, although you should look at the course content, as that should be the decided factor when comparing two universities of similar calibre. All of those universities are good though.

could you expand on this please?

I was just saying how each uni has something cool/ unique about them. In southampton's case they have a a very nice building for electronic engineering and computer science whereas Bristol have a very nice new ACCIS centre opening (advanced composite centre for innovation + science).

If you want more info about the centre its here http://www.bristol.ac.uk/composites/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Imperial > those 4

Latest