The Student Room Group
University of York
York

PPE at York still highly regarded?

Hey everybody,

I´ve applied to study PPE (or Government & Economics) at several universities and yet received two offers, one from Manchester and one from York. I am still waiting for decisions from Warwick and LSE.
I´ve often read that York´s PPE course is regarded as the 2nd best to Oxford´s, but in the last time it has fallen in the rankings and somehow I have the feeling that its reputation has declined, as well. Now I´m a bit confused and wanted to ask if somebody could answer my question in the title. Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm probably biased (doing PPE at York) but I would certainly say that it is very well regarded with employers. With a York PPE degree, a few decent ECs and/or an internship at a good company you could go (almost (i.e. not into a post-grad Biochem research position)) anywhere. I certainly don't feel restricted at all. If you wanted to go into journalism for example, there are few that can match it. Vision and Nouse (two of the campus newspapers) regularly win awards at student media awards and send several people each year to the top newspapers in the country. There are so many well-run, well-attended societies to get involved with.

Furthermore, the PPE course itself is excellent, the teaching (on the whole) is excellent, the people here are fun and friendly, the campus (in my humble opinion) is lovely and the city beautiful.

You'll find many people saying PPE at York and PPE at Warwick have a similar reputation these days - but that's more to do with the Warwick course bedding in over time, rather than the York course declining in reputation.

As I say, however, I'm probably biased. :P
University of York
York
Reply 2
IeuanF
I'm probably biased (doing PPE at York) but I would certainly say that it is very well regarded with employers. With a York PPE degree, a few decent ECs and/or an internship at a good company you could go (almost (i.e. not into a post-grad Biochem research position)) anywhere. I certainly don't feel restricted at all. If you wanted to go into journalism for example, there are a few that can match it. Vision and Nouse (two of the campus newspapers) regularly win awards at student media awards and send several people each year to the top newspapers in the country. There are so many well-run, well-attended societies to get involved with.

Furthermore, the PPE course itself is excellent, the teaching (on the whole) is excellent, the people here are fun and friendly, the campus (in my humble opinion) is lovely and the city beautiful.

You'll find many people saying PPE at York and PPE at Warwick have a similar reputation these days - but that's more to do with the Warwick course bedding in over time, rather than the York course declining in reputation.

As I say, however, I'm probably biased. :P

Thank you very much, your answer reassured me. As far as I am an international, I don´t have such a great insight into the reputation of UK universities as resident people have. Therefore in some way I depend on their opinions and suggestions.
I feel completely attracted by the University of York as well as by the city. Presently I am planning to attend the open day so that I can see for myself. But I got a feeling that I would really like to study there :-)
Reply 3
Allstar89
Thank you very much, your answer reassured me. As far as I am an international, I don´t have such a great insight into the reputation of UK universities as resident people have. Therefore in some way I depend on their opinions and suggestions.
I feel completely attracted by the University of York as well as by the city. Presently I am planning to attend the open day so that I can see for myself. But I got a feeling that I would really like to study there :-)

I do History at York, but I have heared plenty of good things about the PPE course, both in and out of this forum
All i hear is good things about the course, the teaching is supposed to be on par with Oxford. However i think it has been somewhat put down as of late because it continues to retain entry requirements at a meagre AAB, which is almost a physchological hit on status. However, neverthless, i think the department is very highly regarded and everything i read that references seems to maintain that.
Reply 5
wilson_smith
All i hear is good things about the course, the teaching is supposed to be on par with Oxford. However i think it has been somewhat put down as of late because it continues to retain entry requirements at a meagre AAB, which is almost a physchological hit on status. However, neverthless, i think the department is very highly regarded and everything i read that references seems to maintain that.

It is giving just AAA offers for 2010 - although the Politics and Philosophy degree offered within the York PEP School gives offers of AAB. Its policy in the past has been to give offers of AAB, but only to those predicted straight As - probably to become the second choice of those accepted by Oxford. They were giving AAB offers for the year I entered, and I only know one person who didn't get straight As doing PPE at York, and he got (and missed) an offer from Oxford.

I'd agree, however, that the AAB thing has in the past made it seem less good than it actually is.
Reply 6
Allstar89
Hey everybody,

I´ve applied to study PPE (or Government & Economics) at several universities and yet received two offers, one from Manchester and one from York. I am still waiting for decisions from Warwick and LSE.
I´ve often read that York´s PPE course is regarded as the 2nd best to Oxford´s, but in the last time it has fallen in the rankings and somehow I have the feeling that its reputation has declined, as well. Now I´m a bit confused and wanted to ask if somebody could answer my question in the title. Thanks in advance!

I'd say that you'd be best off choosing the University you like the most.

There's not much out there that stands as a direct comparison between the country's PPE courses beyond Oxford. York and Warwick are just about at parity reputation-wise as Universities go- LSE's reputation is second to none, however. I haven't heard particularly good things about the atmosphere at the place, mind.

Manchester's standing's taken a couple of hits in recent years- it's still seen as a damned good place to study, however. I was pretty impressed with the place on the occasions I visited. Research-wise, its reputation's second to none- although as an undergrad, that won't affect you terribly much.

That said, all of them are very good Universities. Pick the place you'd want to live for the next three years- if you pick LSE and end up spending three years in a city you loathe, you'll end up regretting not picking up, say, York.

...Speaking from a slightly biased viewpoint, of course, York trumps them all on several counts- most notably sheer concentration of ducks on campus.
What more could you ask for? :p:
Reply 7
AirRaven
I'd say that you'd be best off choosing the University you like the most.

There's not much out there that stands as a direct comparison between the country's PPE courses beyond Oxford. York and Warwick are just about at parity reputation-wise as Universities go- LSE's reputation is second to none, however. I haven't heard particularly good things about the atmosphere at the place, mind.

Manchester's standing's taken a couple of hits in recent years- it's still seen as a damned good place to study, however. I was pretty impressed with the place on the occasions I visited. Research-wise, its reputation's second to none- although as an undergrad, that won't affect you terribly much.

That said, all of them are very good Universities. Pick the place you'd want to live for the next three years- if you pick LSE and end up spending three years in a city you loathe, you'll end up regretting not picking up, say, York.

...Speaking from a slightly biased viewpoint, of course, York trumps them all on several counts- most notably sheer concentration of ducks on campus.
What more could you ask for? :p:

I totally agree with you. One should choose the university, where he or she could imagine living for the next three years. Nevertheless, I think the reputation, especially of the course you want to study is an important factor, as well. But looking through the answers I received I become more and more confident in my decision to firm York.
Another question: could you maybe tell me a bit more about the course structure and the modules from which you can choose? For I haven´t found much on the website concerning this. Many thanks in advance!
Reply 8
Allstar89
Another question: could you maybe tell me a bit more about the course structure and the modules from which you can choose? For I haven´t found much on the website concerning this. Many thanks in advance!
Not a PPE student or anything remotely similar but there should be detailed module outlines in the handbook. (Handbooks are accessible through this page of the PPE website.)
Reply 9
archly
Not a PPE student or anything remotely similar but there should be detailed module outlines in the handbook. (Handbooks are accessible through this page of the PPE website.)

You have to have a Uni of York account and password to access that, I'm afraid.

For our year (the academic year 2009/2010) in the first term of the first year you do half of Economics 1 (20 credit), half of Mathematical Techniques for Economics (20 credit), Reason and Argument B (10 credit) and Introduction to Democratic Tradition (10 credit). In the second term you do Ethics A (20 credit), the second half of Economics 1, and either Intro to Political Theory (10 credit) or Intro to States, Development and Conflict (10 credit). In the 3rd term you do the second half of Mathematical Techniques for Economics, Early Modern Philosophy B (10 credit) and either Great Political Texts (20 credit) or Politics Research Workshop (20 credit).
Reply 10
IeuanF
You have to have a Uni of York account and password to access that, I'm afraid.
It didn't ask me for mine & I couldn't remember having signed in but I checked and you're right. I thought it was a little odd.
Reply 11
Allstar89

Check your PMs. :smile:

Apologies for the absurd download size.
Reply 12
AirRaven
Check your PMs. :smile:

Apologies for the absurd download size.

hi there. could please send me those papers or links to them, too? thaaanks :smile:
Reply 13
hi there. could please send me those papers or links to them, too? thaaanks :smile:

Sent.

Enjoy!

Anybody else wanting a peek at them at a later point, feel free to give me a shout.
Reply 14
Bump!

I've heard that the economics department has had some issues over the last couple of years, has this been sorted out or is still a problem? How is the quality of teaching/students overall these days? Thanks!
Original post by tussanfr
Bump!

I've heard that the economics department has had some issues over the last couple of years, has this been sorted out or is still a problem? How is the quality of teaching/students overall these days? Thanks!

The Economics teaching is definitely getting better. It has done during my time at York. They've brought in more class-based learning, and got rid of a few terrible lecturers.

That said, going on hear'say, I wouldn't say that York has ever been unusually bad for Economics teaching. Economics is appears to be known for being taught terribly across the country.
Reply 16
Original post by TruckBear
The Economics teaching is definitely getting better. It has done during my time at York. They've brought in more class-based learning, and got rid of a few terrible lecturers.

That said, going on hear'say, I wouldn't say that York has ever been unusually bad for Economics teaching. Economics is appears to be known for being taught terribly across the country.

Thank you! What is your opinion on the 'Durham vs York' for PPE dilemma?
Original post by tussanfr
Thank you! What is your opinion on the 'Durham vs York' for PPE dilemma?

Hard to judge, given that I know very little about the Durham course. One thing I will say, is that the little knowledge I have regarding this suggests that the York course is much better organised. There is much better opportunity to study modules at the intersection of the subjects at York. I took the Democratic Economy module which was brilliant, and Political Theory/Philosophy at York is brilliant.

Besides the above - it is very difficult to get an objective comparison. I would suggest working out the academic areas that you are most interested in, what kind of university set-up/city you would like to live in, and choose based on that rather than minuscule differences in the prestige of the courses - if there are any differences at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Come to York, walk around the campus.
Go to Durham, walk around the city.

You'll have made your choice the second you step on the train home. They're two fundamentally different places, offering completely different experiences. I'd say that miniscule differences in course quality aren't worth plumping for somewhere you're going to spend upwards of three years of your life feeling miserable.
Reply 19
Original post by AirRaven
Come to York, walk around the campus.
Go to Durham, walk around the city.

You'll have made your choice the second you step on the train home. They're two fundamentally different places, offering completely different experiences. I'd say that miniscule differences in course quality aren't worth plumping for somewhere you're going to spend upwards of three years of your life feeling miserable.

I agree, however, I am an international student and I don't have time nor can I afford travelling to the UK anytime soon. I generally prefer larger cities, so that's a huge plus for York. On the other hand, I very much appreciate the buildings in Durham. For some reason I also like the fact that Durham University is older than University of York, even though York is the older city.

I love New York, London, Prague, Amsterdam and other large cities and like most kids my age, party:ing is an important factor. I smoke/drink too much and I'd like to keep it that way for the time being. The quality of teaching and post-graduate prospects are more important though. Which one do you think would suit me better?

Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending