The Student Room Group

16-19 Bursary/EMA Questions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by damnbursary
http://www.education.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/youngpeople/studentsupport/a00203061/16-19-bursaries
The link saying i get £1200 in a bursary fund, i claimed for it i am within the aged group (19) and i live on my own on income support.
I claimed my bursary recently after waiting ages for my income support to process, the college was even telling me i was going to get the full £1200 with my circumstances as i told them to start the course i would need to borrow money for the fees and more for sport kit.

I received a letter yesterday saying i am getting a total of £120, £60 for books and £60 for trips, What the hell!!!
Since i received the letter Saturday when should i be paid by my college?
Why have they done this to me? i probably won't make it more than another 2 months financially now they have only given me 120!!

If i go to the head of the college and kick up a big problem, get connexions, citizens advice and maybe even a solicitor involved will it help? i need to know how to get more than this because it is ridiculous i have lost most of my family now as i cannot pay them back! so much for ema being the only cutbacks the council made me skint by refusing to pay my rent for 2 months while job center took forever to process my claim.

In a hell of a lot of debt now, anyone who can help me in relation to this bursary will be much appreciated.:angry::frown:

and what purpose would a solicitor be of? When the government are giving you money.

That would cost money surely? Smh.

You need to talk to the relevant people and see where a mistake has been made if applicable not go in all guns firing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4181
I'm a student that's wishing to join a sixth form that's quite far from where I live. What support can I get?
Hi, I've just finished two years of A levels at my sixth form.
I'm entitled to the 16-19 year old bursary as my parents income is below the threshold, so I can get up to 300 pounds for a year of sixth form.

I'm very embarrassed about talking to a teacher/other people about it though as I have a fair bit of pride (don't mean to sound arrogant at all). I applied for an Access scheme for uni and my head of year is aware that I am eligible for the 16-19 bursary and offered a form in Feb time but I declined it, no idea why though.

I would really like 300 pounds for the year though, and maybe 300 for the year before if I can still claim it. On the school website it says that the form should be submitted by September of the year you start, however I doubt it'll make a difference??

Any advice on what I should do? Is it worth the embarrassment?
Also would I have to go into school for it do you think? I've finished so I'd rather not go in and have teachers saying 'oh haven't you finished your exams' etc, cause it'll put me on the spot.

(edited 10 years ago)
If you were meant to apply for it the September of the year you start and you've already finished, then you most definitely won't get £600 for the past two years. You won't even get the money for the past year, because you didn't apply for it on time. Why would they give you the money after you've completed the course when it's to help aid you through the course?
Original post by angelooo
If you were meant to apply for it the September of the year you start and you've already finished, then you most definitely won't get £600 for the past two years. You won't even get the money for the past year, because you didn't apply for it on time. Why would they give you the money after you've completed the course when it's to help aid you through the course?

Forgot to add something, just added it now to my original post. My head of year signed by access scheme for uni (in Feb of this year) and one of the citeria was being under a certain income threshold, and offered to give me a form for the bursary but I was a bit shy and said no. So I doubt the time would really make a difference.
I can't see you getting now either; as you're not classed as a student any more.
didn't realise there was already a thread, pls can someone help me with this q http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2385571&p=43234862#post43234862
Original post by youcantcatchme
Forgot to add something, just added it now to my original post. My head of year signed by access scheme for uni (in Feb of this year) and one of the citeria was being under a certain income threshold, and offered to give me a form for the bursary but I was a bit shy and said no. So I doubt the time would really make a difference.

The time definitely makes a difference. You were offered the form and declined it. You can't claim the money back now, it isn't yours to claim anymore. Sorry but you lost out.
Original post by BobTheBuilder94
I can always ask if I can still claim it, that wasn't the point I was going at, the reason I created the post was due to being embarrased.

I'd be a hell of a lot more embarrassed going back to ask to claim money that I'm no longer entitled to than I would be claiming it to begin with. I'd just let it go if I were you, you'll know for next time (if anything like this happens again).
How do you apply for this and how much do you receieve?

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.rts.org.uk/royal-television-society-undergraduate-bursary

gonna apply for this, I meet all the criteria, however "

The RTS bursary is for people who are new to higher education, if you have previously studied a higher education course you will not be eligible for this scholarship."

I went to uni for two months before the deciding the course was crap and I was homesick, am I still eligible or not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending