The Student Room Group

16-19 Bursary/EMA Questions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Ring EMA up asap, talk to prospective college to make sure they could accomodate you first before changing everything with EMA. It'll probably be a really delayed payment but you'll get a huuuuge backpay at the end of it =]
Hi people, instead of starting another thread which would litter tsr, could anyone answer this ema question for me............ please :smile:

If you went back to school on say a tuesday (due to the school, or public holiday), will you still get your £30 for that week (with full attendance etc)
Reply 62
yeah same here ^
Reply 63
anyone had their September one yet?

need mine ASAP so i can buy damn gf an anniversary present!
Reply 64
The bonus is for October, so depending on how quick your college administration is, expect it to come in a few weeks...
Reply 65
I got a letter saying EMA bonuses are being reassessed..has this been done?..what was the outcome?
Reply 66
EMA, one of the most unfair things that has ever been introduced in this country.... Whoever came up with the idea of funding a significant portion of the current 16-18's 20 a day habit was a genius....

Many of those that do get it, no way do their parents earn less than 30 grand, I'd love to know what tricks they play... If your mum and dad work in a bloody supermarket they'll earn that between them!
Reply 67
Bonuses for EMA
Waste of tax payers money
Reply 68
Many of those that do get it, no way do their parents earn less than 30 grand, I'd love to know what tricks they play... If your mum and dad work in a bloody supermarket they'll earn that between them!

What about single parents? :rolleyes:
Reply 69
The way they decide who gets EMA and who doesnt needs to be changed IMO.

I come from a very low income, single parent household so I get the full £30 and and be honest, I dont know how I would cope without it. I cant depend on my mother for money, she needs it herself and the number of hours a week I can work are limited, i definately wouldnt earn enough for all the things i need every week like food, travel costs, supplies, driving lessons etc.

But when I see people at college who get the EMA money and just completely abuse eg forging teachers signatures on the forms we have to get signed every lesson so they can skip classes or have whole days off and they still get paid. Thankfully those people didnt pass their first year and/or dropped out.

Students who work their asses off day in, day out to acheive good grades IMO should be entitled to some kind of reward, i mean, they are the ones who will be going to universoty and will need all the financial help they can get. A combination of academic success and family income should be the deciding factors on who gets paid and how much gets paid. Why should the ones who abuse the system get rewards when those who put the work in get nothing?
I didn't get the bonus in september is it only for second year students? This is my third in college now
Reply 71
The bonus is in October.
Reply 72
smoothie
The bonus is in October.

lol i got the bonus with my first payment of the yr a forngiht ago lol
Reply 73
EMA has helped me alot without i would not have done that well. As if i did not recive it would have put too much pressure on my mum. Also has helped me to go to lessons and helped with books and dont have to get a part time job either. So i can spend more time on work.

LIke any system it is open to abuse and ppl who do abuse the system should be ashamed.
Reply 74
hi sorry just a general question, i applied a few weeks before school started and it was sent back as school started as the tax form didnt cover up to 2007 (even though my mum had recieved it when she sent it off) so i was wondering do they back pay it?

I will spend some of it on education (pastpapers etc) but the majority im going to save for uni
Reply 75
I got my bonus at the start of September :biggrin: At our college we don't need to do any of that, its based purely on attendance and not performance. Also, we don't go through any of the blank timetable hassle, they do it for us :P
Reply 76
I got my bonus 1/2 way through September, they didn't even say anything about it, it just apperead in my bank account! My sixth form aren't very strict about it at all, we just have to have good attendence, and for the summer bonus had to make sure we attended all our exams!! It's all computerised but it's easily changed if we have a valid reason for not attending/ being late.
Reply 77
can u still get EMA in private school as i may be getting a bursary to go to a private sixth form
Reply 78
yes you can

Quick Reply

Latest