The Student Room Group

Thread for me!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Played a bit of tennis today, and I've now got a hockey tournament tomorrow, so I didn't bother with the gym. May go tomorrow, or Friday, we will see.
Reply 301
4 6 min games of hockey last night, tough stuff. Fitness was alright ish, but skills were poor. Quads were pretty sore so decided I'd gym it today instead.
Reply 302
2 hours ish of volleyball.
Gym:

Squats
20kg*10
65kg*20

Pullovers
15kg*20

OHP(set of 5 pullups after each workset)
20kg*10
30kg*5
40kg*2
47.5kg*8,8,8

Curlz
12.5kg*10,10,10

Abs
30 toe touches, 20 v-sits

All over in like, 25 mins, pretty tough though. Was planning on doing 1 armed WSM style db press(having stalked Mhorman's doing it), but forgot cos I was in a hurry.
Reply 303
Played maybe half an hour-an hour of tennis earlier, + cycling a couple of miles. Tennis was good, seemed to be serving all right which is a surprise!

Gym:

Squats
20kg*10
67.5kg*20

Pullovers
15kg*20

DB Bench(5 pullups after each set)
25kg*10,10,10

Clean and Push press
60kg*3,3,3,3,3

Standing EZ curls
Bar+25kg*8,8,8

DB Curlz
10kg*20

Abs
30*toe touches, 20*v-sits

Felt pretty good, quite chuffed with clean and pressing there.
Reply 304
Went for a quick swim this morning. Nothing major.
Reply 305
5 a-side football today. Fitness wasn't bad, but we lost both matches. Right ankle slightly sore again, bleh.
Reply 306
3-4 hours of volleyball+some cycling there and back. Some really good stuff in here, and a gorgeous day. If only my exams weren't coming up!
Reply 307
20 rep squatting, very brave! I noticed in another thread that you're currently at Cambridge - what are the lifting facilities like at the university gym? Or do you use your college gym (whichever one that may be)?
Reply 308
Original post by Mdawg
20 rep squatting, very brave! I noticed in another thread that you're currently at Cambridge - what are the lifting facilities like at the university gym? Or do you use your college gym (whichever one that may be)?

I use my college(Girton)'s stuff, which isn't particularly extensive, but hey. I think the uni gym is at fenners and is pretty good-if you ask Chumbaniya he used to train there and should know I think.
Reply 309
Original post by Slumpy
I use my college(Girton)'s stuff, which isn't particularly extensive, but hey. I think the uni gym is at fenners and is pretty good-if you ask Chumbaniya he used to train there and should know I think.

I am guessing your gym has to be better than oxfords uni gym.
They're gunna rebuild it cos the powerlifting room is simply too small
20 rep squats will be good for cardio, too. When I did my 115 x 20 I had to go straight to the bathroom after to get some water and almost passed out on the floor.
Reply 311
Original post by Bloodbath
I am guessing your gym has to be better than oxfords uni gym.
They're gunna rebuild it cos the powerlifting room is simply too small

As I say, chumby would know better than me, he's trained there, but I think he said it was quite good.

Original post by Smack
20 rep squats will be good for cardio, too. When I did my 115 x 20 I had to go straight to the bathroom after to get some water and almost passed out on the floor.

Yeah, they're still not too bad like that at the moment, but I can see them getting there in a couple of weeks.
Reply 312
Squats
20kg*10
70kg*20

OHP(5 pullups after each 8 in worksets)
20kg*10
30kg*5
40kg*3
50kg*8,8,5,3

Pullovers
15kg*20

Curls
15kg*10,10,10

Abs
20 leg raise from a bench things, 20*v-sits

Squats still alright. OHP bit disappointing, but think I'll raise the weight and go for 6s or 7s next time. Curls were probably a bit cheaty, but meh.
Reply 313
Original post by Mdawg
I noticed in another thread that you're currently at Cambridge - what are the lifting facilities like at the university gym?
The powerlifting room can have 2-6 people in at one time. There's one platform (dropping weights not allowed) with a squat rack, one power cage (I think that's the right term), a fixed bench, a moveable bench, an incline bench and a pull up bar. In addition to plenty of olympic bars (and some powerlifting ones for members of the powerlifting club), there's a trap bar. There's a wide variety of plates (something like 0.125kg to 50kg) including some training bumper plates, but there aren't necessarily a lot at any particular weight. The dumbbells get reasonably heavy, but I can't remember how heavy. There are various boxes and chains and stuff. I can't really comment on how busy it gets because I've only gone twice.

The main gym has a lot of machines -- various weight machines, some quite flash cross-trainers, running machines, etc., and three rowing machines (I think they're Concepts) -- and some dumbbells going up to 25kg. It doesn't have a proper pull up bar for some reason, but it does have some sort of assisted dip/pull up thing.

It's possible that I've missed something out, misremembered some detail or used a term incorrectly, but it's hopefully an accurate description.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 314
Went for a quick swim this morning, probably only about 30 lengths odd, did 5*(front crawl, back), then 5*(fly, breast). Arms surprisingly tired by it all really.
Reply 315
Original post by harr
The powerlifting room can have 2-6 people in at one time. There's one platform (dropping weights not allowed) with a squat rack, one power cage (I think that's the right term), a fixed bench, a moveable bench, an incline bench and a pull up bar. In addition to plenty of olympic bars (and some powerlifting ones for members of the powerlifting club), there's a trap bar. There's a wide variety of plates (something like 0.125kg to 50kg) including some training bumper plates, but there aren't necessarily a lot at any particular weight. The dumbbells get reasonably heavy, but I can't remember how heavy. There are various boxes and chains and stuff. I can't really comment on how busy it gets because I've only gone twice.

The main gym has a lot of machines -- various weight machines, some quite flash cross-trainers, running machines, etc., and three rowing machines (I think they're Concepts) -- and some dumbbells going up to 25kg. It doesn't have a proper pull up bar for some reason, but it does have some sort of assisted dip/pull up thing.

It's possible that I've missed something out, misremembered some detail or used a term incorrectly, but it's hopefully an accurate description.

So what your saying is that both Oxford's and Cambridge's gyms suck?

Actually I think its better than imperials though, cos I went on an open day and they showed us the gym- nice and modern but twas full of posers
Reply 316
Close, but what I was actually doing was giving a description of Cambridge's gym. If you want to check the subtle distinction, I have for your convenience included in this post a spoilered version of what I said earlier.

Spoiler

I would say that it's actually a very good gym if you and a training partner are willing to go at a time when there won't be anyone else there. Only £40 a year too (or £30 for just the powerlifting room).
Reply 317
Original post by harr
Close, but what I was actually doing was giving a description of Cambridge's gym. If you want to check the subtle distinction, I have for your convenience included in this post a spoilered version of what I said earlier.

Spoiler

I would say that it's actually a very good gym if you and a training partner are willing to go at a time when there won't be anyone else there. Only £40 a year too (or £30 for just the powerlifting room).

Since I go to Oxford, I know what Oxford's uni gym looks like. Since your description sounds exactly like Iffley gym in oxford, I thus conclude that both are small and therefore suck

However our power-lifting room can have up to 9 ppl in it- I know wow!
Reply 318
Since I go to Oxford, I know what Oxford's uni gym looks like. Since your description sounds exactly like Iffley gym in oxford, I thus conclude that both are small and therefore suck

However our power-lifting room can have up to 9 ppl in it- I know wow!
I sometimes get us mixed up too.

It is small. I don't agree that this means that it sucks.
Reply 319
Original post by harr

Thanks very much! I'm really just interested in the powerlifting facilities and it sounds good enough to me. I've also heard the Jesus college gym has a power cage and bench press too, don't suppose you could confirm this?

Quick Reply

Latest