The Student Room Group

Thread for me!

Going back to uni tomorrow, figured I should keep a log somewhere I go frequently.
Basically, I'm keen on getting fitter, and hopefully a little bit stronger.
Will have 4-5 hours of badminton a week, and a hockey match most weeks(once the astros thaw). On top of this I'm thinking of running SS, and then doing cardio when I have time otherwise. Thinking running, erging and swimming are gonna be my main cardio, although I have around 6-7 miles of cycling every day for lectures(more on days with badminton).

Haven't really strength trained in the past properly, did SS for a little last term till work got too much, so these are gonna be a bit high:
Deadlift-140kg*5, 150kg*1
Squats-85-90kg*3*5
OHP-40kg*3*5
Bench-60kg*3*5
Rows-60kg*3*5

Pullups-max at the mo seems to be 8.

Current bodyweight~91-92kg, 5'10-11

Not too worried about stats, basic goal is just to feel fitter, maybe look a bit better, and hopefully get a bit stronger/faster.

I know it looks like I've got a lot planned here, but I'll probably drop bits as time goes on.
Anyway, here's this for a log.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Today-

Squats-70kg*3*5
Bench-45kg*3*5
Deadlift-110kg*1*5

Legs found it a bit tough, but I think I'll be fine once I get back into it.
Reply 2
Good luck mate :cool:
Slumpy

Haven't really strength trained in the past properly, did SS for a little last term till work got too much, so these are gonna be a bit high:
Deadlift-140kg*5, 150kg*1
Squats-85-90kg*3*5
OHP-40kg*3*5
Bench-60kg*3*5
Rows-60kg*3*5

So these are your goals? Or what you have achieved before?

Why is deadlift so high? If you can dl 140 you should really be squatting significantly more than 85-90.
Reply 4
Arturo Bandini
So these are your goals? Or what you have achieved before?

Why is deadlift so high? If you can dl 140 you should really be squatting significantly more than 85-90.

Edit- oops, read that as what are you goals. They're what I've achieved before I think, they might be slightly high, can't find my notebook.

Just generally get stronger, have a bit less fat, feel fitter. I'm aware it's pretty vague, but I'll tighten up aims at some point later. I guess a side goal is to be able to run about 11 miles, but that's not massively important.

I dunno, I've always just found it a much easier lift. I've only really done reasonably frequent lifting for the last term I was at uni(~8 weeks), so I'm not a long way from where I began, I just tended to find it easy to put weight on the deadlift. That and before, when I wasn't doing anything concrete, I would occasionally do it because I liked it.
Reply 5
Bout 20-30 mins of swimming today. It's a small pool here, 15-20m I think.
Did 2 length each stroke warm up then 10*sprint front crawl down, slow backstroke back, then 10*sprint fly down, slow backstroke back, then 4 lengths breakstroke as a cooldown.
Also about an hour of table tennis.
Reply 6
Today-
Squats 72.5kg*3*5
OHP 32.5kg*3*5
Rows 45kg*3*5

Legs feeling rather better today, back found this trickier, but that was kinda to be expected.
After this I did a couple of reps OHP at 40kg-42.5kg, felt alright.
First lecture tomorrow, so my first bit of cycling in a few weeks!
Reply 7
Nice one, keep it up mate :cool:
Reply 8
First lecture of term today, so cycled in and back.
Then had badminton, so cycled there and back.
Overall for the day; cycled about 8-10 miles, and played 2 hours of badminton.
Reply 9
Lecture and a hand in today, so about 5-6 miles cycling.
Then gym:
Squat-75kg*3*5
Bench-47.5kg*3*5
Deadlift-115kg*1*5.
Think I'll have a rest day tomorrow, but we'll see what happens.
Reply 10
Basically has a rest day yesterday, ran 2 miles in about 15 minutes though.
Reply 11
Powercleans would help with your hockey. What rows are you doing?
Reply 12
Powercleans would help with your hockey. What rows are you doing?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html
Them kind.

I'm always tempted to try and learn to powerclean, how tough is it?
Reply 13
Slumpy
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html
Them kind.

I'm always tempted to try and learn to powerclean, how tough is it?

That page is funny, it shows a pendlay row yet it's called a bent over row. A bent over row is where your body is at 45 degrees and its a slower movement than the pendlay row.

Power cleaning takes longer to learn than your general exercise, but if you read the right sources (PowerCleans :p: ) it's not to bad, you just need to keep practising with an empty bar. It's more of a technical exercise so you've gotta put more effort into it but it's worth it for power sports. use lower reps for power such as 5 sets of 3 reps too, incase you didn't know.
Reply 14
That page is funny, it shows a pendlay row yet it's called a bent over row. A bent over row is where your body is at 45 degrees and its a slower movement than the pendlay row.

Power cleaning takes longer to learn than your general exercise, but if you read the right sources (PowerCleans :p: ) it's not to bad, you just need to keep practising with an empty bar. It's more of a technical exercise so you've gotta put more effort into it but it's worth it for power sports. use lower reps for power such as 5 sets of 3 reps too, incase you didn't know.

Well then I guess I'm Pendlay rowing:p:
Ok, I'll give it a look. Unfortunately I lack a video camera, so checking technique like that will be hard, I'll just have to use the mirrors a lot I guess.
Eventually replace the rows with it, or just add it in?

Todays stuff:
Cycled 4ish miles, hour and a half of badminton.
About to go for a kickabout.
Reply 15
40 odd mins of 5ish a side football.
Didn't feel too unfit, which was nice.
Reply 16
Starting strength, strictly is powercleans and no rows. Power cleans aid the deadlift and the squat in SS. The best method is to get a list of what to do and what not to do and follow it through as you do the list. The best way to learn it is backwards, so get used to it being in the rack position in your shoulders etc.

Whilst you get used to power cleans you could still row, but eventually doing them together would be a bit counter productive at this stage
Reply 17
Starting strength, strictly is powercleans and no rows. Power cleans aid the deadlift and the squat in SS. The best method is to get a list of what to do and what not to do and follow it through as you do the list. The best way to learn it is backwards, so get used to it being in the rack position in your shoulders etc.

Whilst you get used to power cleans you could still row, but eventually doing them together would be a bit counter productive at this stage

Yeah, I knew that, but certainly was under the impression they were a bit tough to learn. Read that link though, will give them a shot tomorrow, see how it goes.
Reply 18
Again, cycled maybe 5-6 miles today.
Gym-
Squats-77.5kg*3*5
OHP-35kg*3*5
Rows-47.5kg*3*5

Tried to start learning the technique for powercleans, but getting the bar in anything close the the proper rack position shown on that site seems hard, my elbows just don't want to go that high, think it might be wrist flexibility, but I'm not certain.
Reply 19
Cycled 8-10 miles, hour of badminton.

Quick Reply

Latest