The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the subheadings we were told to use are; introduction, case study title 1, case study title 2 etc and conclusion. i think the references are more important though

im doing the rural tourism option
Reply 2
123qwerty
the subheadings we were told to use are; introduction, case study title 1, case study title 2 etc and conclusion. i think the references are more important though

im doing the rural tourism option

oh right...thank you, but we went to a conference done by the revision board and they said they dont really like to see it by case study....more by themes...which is why im confused..
Reply 3
chbutterfly
oh right...thank you, but we went to a conference done by the revision board and they said they dont really like to see it by case study....more by themes...which is why im confused..

we went to a conference too... were you given a yellow booklet with a mark scheme and an essay outline?

i cant write the essays when theyre broken down by theme, you have to split the case studies up and i end up repeating myself...
Reply 4
Hi, I'm doing the exam too, and am also stuggling with subheadings..

Say the question was: LEDC's suffer a higher level of impacts from Tectonic Hazards....

I would use the following:

Introduction - which would outline the main themes you're going to use, case studies that you're going to use and how you plan to discuss the above statement.

Research - which I would then break down into further sub headings...
- LEDC Earthquake
- MEDC Earthquake
etc etc

Also stating facts and saying why this would or wouldn't agree with the statement above.

Next would be:

Analysis - how the case studies above prove the statement right/wrong, different perspectives, diagrams - park model, dregg model etc

Then:

Conclusion - I would include a meaningful assessment of the statement - returning to main points of the report

LASTLY WHICH IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT IS YOUR METHODOLGY - I would use a table including where you sourced your information from and how reliable it is!

Hope this helps :smile:, good luck!
Reply 5
Thats totally different to the way we have been told to do it.

Into - reference to title, develop focus. Introduction of framework - models/context etc. Introduce case studies - give an idea of scale and complexity. And an indication of methodology. Couple of definitions would be good.

Main Body - As you said, breakdown into further sub headings for case studies and themes. relevent concepts, wide range of case studies. Factual evidence. Diagrams and models used to support answer. On going evaluation!!

Conclusion - Recall of all case studies, understanding of complexity of the question. Clearly stated conclusion.

And of course, all facts and figure etc referenced throughout.

Looking at a powerpoint from the Kim Adams as well and thats how she sets it out.
Reply 6
RTom

Into - reference to title, develop focus. Introduction of framework - models/context etc. Introduce case studies - give an idea of scale and complexity. And an indication of methodology. Couple of definitions would be good.

Main Body - As you said, breakdown into further sub headings for case studies and themes. relevent concepts, wide range of case studies. Factual evidence. Diagrams and models used to support answer. On going evaluation!!

Conclusion - Recall of all case studies, understanding of complexity of the question. Clearly stated conclusion.

Looking at a powerpoint from the Kim Adams as well and thats how she sets it out.

yeh thats more how we were told....and with evauluating, we were told not to do it the same as other subjects where its like yes, no, yes no, cos its not an essay, so yeh like you said, constant evaluation, but mst of it in the conclusion....

also, when you say methodology, what method are you talking about?

we were also told to mention tectonic theory in the intro...

say if the question was about LEDC's, im guessing they want you to bring in MEDC's yourself?

with the headings, i think as long as youve got the types of evaluation points, concepts, themes, somewhere, it doesnt really matter whateher theyre within parapgraphs, on their own, or what.....

do you think?
Reply 7
RTom

also, you wouldnt have a link to the powerpoint or anything would you?

Reply 8
Yeah, theory in the introduction. I can't comment on tectonics as I am not doing that one, so I don't know what exactly the research focus is. But yeah, evaluation, methodology etc isn't a clear cut section, you gain credit where ever it is.

As for the powerpoint, I don't have a link as its in a private school area. But I will try and attatch to this thread if possible and failing that, if you want you can PM me your email and I could send it like that.
Reply 9
we dont actually have to talk about how we researched do we? as long as you reference etc...
Reply 10
Tried to upload it, can you access that?
Reply 11
chbutterfly
we dont actually have to talk about how we researched do we? as long as you reference etc...

I don't know, I think that area of the mark scheme is rather vague.

I notice in that powerpoint, in the introduction there is a section which goes like this -

"A range of reputable sources will be quoted witin the report from the WHO to the BBC. More biased data from pressure groups will be used too, for example..."

Thats slide 34 if you want to check it out and there they have been given credit for an indication of methodolgy.
Reply 12
thank you very much, yes it works :smile:

ok, i see, so i guess it wont do you any harm, but its not necessary?

weve seen past ones, with the same thing on the markscheme, and they didnt mention methodology....

i might put a sentence in it somewhere...

how many references are you going to make throughout?
Reply 13
I don't know if its needed, but it can't do any harm anyway to add a quick line like the above. I think as with a lot of this unit, its not clear cut, we have past papers where like you said nothing like that has been put in - but that powerpoint is produced by the principal examiner and if she thinks it is worth putting in then who am I to go against it.

As for references, as many as I can remember really. Important as well that they are from a range of souces - videos, net, newspapers, journals etc.
Reply 14
yeh exactly.....its just sometimes i forget to write the references as i go along, so i guess id just have to add them in....but i dont want to do it literally after everything, or it kindve ruins the flow...
Reply 15
have you been told to split up your intro into 1.1, 1.2 etc, or doesnt it really matter so long as everythings there?
Reply 16
Nope, just all in there.

I know what you mean with the references as well, would prefer to write it like "In 2008, the BBC reported a 200% rise...", but I tend to forget and it ends up like "There was a 200% increase in 2008 (BBC)". But I don't think its that important as long as its there.
Reply 17
exactly, thats what im thinking....

in the mark scheme when it says "Indication of methodology i.e. how evidence was sampled/selected"

do you think mentioning a sentence or two at the start and then referencng throughout, and maybe bibliography, is enough?
Reply 18
I think so, afterall, the topics do not lend themselves to primary research so just mentioning in passing where the facts and figures is from should be enough.
Reply 19
on that powerpoint it says about showcasing your own fieldwork if you have done any, or say any visits to a volcano for exmaple, but how would we do this wthout using "I"? or would you save it for the conclusion?

Latest

Trending

Trending