The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
aeonflux
Got an interviews this week, just wondering if anyone who has already had a UCL physics interview could tell me what it was like, typical questions etc.

Cheers!

My mate had one a few months back. He said it was pretty relaxed and they asked him about why he wanted to do Physics, what else he was interested in and then also something about sinhx that he didn't know :p: But the interviewer explained it and he got an offer anyway. He says other people were asked other things though

Hope that helps :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I've heard if you get an interview your practically in, provided you don't do something absolutely crazy.
In fact I know a few who applied for astrophysics and they get told they've got the offer before the one-to-one interviews even started.
Make of it what you will, but I think you're pretty much in :yep: congrats :biggrin:
Reply 3
Playboy King
I've heard if you get an interview your practically in, provided you don't do something absolutely crazy.
In fact I know a few who applied for astrophysics and they get told they've got the offer before the one-to-one interviews even started.
Make of it what you will, but I think you're pretty much in :yep: congrats :biggrin:

Just liased with my friend and he very much agreed. Throughout the day they said "When your here next year this will happen etc" It was all very positive and the interview was basically to check you are who you say you are and you havn't filled your PS with lies :smile:

Congrats
Reply 4
Thanks alot guys, very reassuring :biggrin:
aeonflux
Got an interviews this week, just wondering if anyone who has already had a UCL physics interview could tell me what it was like, typical questions etc.

Cheers!

Welcome to UCL! You're pretty much in just don't bring a chainsaw with you and threaten people.

I'm slightly jealous of the first years atm because they have Prof Bramwell (yes, the dude that "found" magnetic monopoles [well he didn't find the fundamental particle but that's a distinction for another day]).

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask through the forum or PM'ing...
Reply 6
They are going to say:
If you are here you basically have an offer, the interview is just to help us decide to keep you if you **** up your exam.
ABB you will need normally
Reply 7
aeonflux
Thanks alot guys, very reassuring :biggrin:

Hey, do you know what time they wanted you to get there? Lol just that I have one tomorrow and I can't find my letter :s-smilie: and I'm hoping I won't have to call and tell the admissions office
Reply 8
Harcourt
Hey, do you know what time they wanted you to get there? Lol just that I have one tomorrow and I can't find my letter :s-smilie: and I'm hoping I won't have to call and tell the admissions office

Yeah its 1.30 lol. Guess I'll see you there then :biggrin:
Reply 9
aeonflux
Yeah its 1.30 lol. Guess I'll see you there then :biggrin:

Ahhh cheers mate - lol tomorrow could've been very awkward...
Reply 10
Good luck guys :smile:

Not that you'll need it.
Reply 11
my interview was pretty good, was asked about the derivation of time dilation (pretty simple derivation, not very rigorous), some graph sketching and similar stuff.

Also (i think) the offer is AAB (MSci) this year, well that's certainly what my offer is.
Reply 12
hey has anyone got an interview on the 18th?
Reply 13
Harcourt
Ahhh cheers mate - lol tomorrow could've been very awkward...

Which one were you then haha?

How did you find the day? I really like UCL actually.
Hey I went on the 11th - who were you aeonflux?
Oops I mean 12th. Well whichever date was tuesday haha.
Reply 16
disposition
Hey I went on the 11th - who were you aeonflux?

I was the one of the guys sitting in the back row, wearing striped blue shirt and brown jumper, light brown hair :p:

Who were you?
aeonflux
I was the one of the guys sitting in the back row, wearing striped blue shirt and brown jumper, light brown hair :p:

Who were you?

Hmm striped shirt, can't quite remember... I was the girl who was a bit late.
Did you like UCL?
Reply 18
disposition
Hmm striped shirt, can't quite remember... I was the girl who was a bit late.
Did you like UCL?

There were only 2 girls there if I remember rightly, can't remember which one was late but I think for the presentation at the beginning there was one sat in the front row and another in the middle row, which were you haha?

I was actually really impressed by UCL, seemed like a good place, and I got the impression the social life was better than places like Imperial college as well :biggrin:

I think chances are I will firm Imperial/Durham (providing I get offers that is) and insure UCL. Even though I probably slightly preferred UCL as a place to Imperial, don't think I could turn down the prestige/job prospects of Imperial.

How did you find it?
aeonflux
There were only 2 girls there if I remember rightly, can't remember which one was late but I think for the presentation at the beginning there was one sat in the front row and another in the middle row, which were you haha?

I was actually really impressed by UCL, seemed like a good place, and I got the impression the social life was better than places like Imperial college as well :biggrin:

I think chances are I will firm Imperial/Durham (providing I get offers that is) and insure UCL. Even though I probably slightly preferred UCL as a place to Imperial, don't think I could turn down the prestige/job prospects of Imperial.

How did you find it?

Oh yeah, I was the one in the middle row.
Me too, I'd never been before but it was surprisingly nice. I agree on the social life, and I think i'd prefer to study there than Imperial based on atmosphere and workload... Either going to put Imperial or UCL as my insurance, but I think i'll wait until january results before I decide. ABB's a great offer though!