The Student Room Group

Want to take Music gcse privately.

Hello there,

My school is only taking 10 gcse's so i was just wondering whether i could beef it up a little bit, i am adament about taking a relatively easy gcse and i think music is a good choice, my school doesnt offer it as a gcse however i was wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what board to take it and what steps to follow from now.

All other subjects are fine just music.

what is the easiest board?
how should i take a private gcse?

and any books reccomended?
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
I did AQA music GCSE from home and my school let me sit the actual exam in school with the other people who were actually taking it in school. I just got a CGP revision guide, but I also had a tutor for one day a week for an hour for 5 weeks to help sort out paper work for compositions and be part of my ensemble and record it and send it to school etc.

I would recommend doing lots of listening practice at home, when I sat the exam I couldn't distinguish between the sounds of different African drums. FML. You can't learn it all from a book, sadly.
Reply 3
paper work for compositions?
erm...can my mum do that?lol:woo:
Reply 4
bump
Reply 5
bump
Ow, that hurts!
Ok, to cease your endless bumping:

Music is not an easy GCSE unless you have a strong ability to perform music. If you can play an instrument to grade 5+ standard, know your theory and can compose proficiently, it is not an easy GCSE at all. I knew a few people who picked GCSE music because they, like you, thought it was an easy GCSE and wanted to "beef it up a little bit". They did terribly. That is all.

I knew someone who took music at GCSE in his spare time and the school allowed him to sit the exam in school. Talk to your school to see if they would allow something similar.

Finally, don't get greedy and overstretch yourself. 10A*s looks much much better to unis than 9A*s and 2 As.
peanut65
Hello there,

My school is only taking 10 gcse's so i was just wondering whether i could beef it up a little bit, i am adament about taking a relatively easy gcse and i think music is a good choice, my school doesnt offer it as a gcse however i was wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what board to take it and what steps to follow from now.

All other subjects are fine just music.

what is the easiest board?
how should i take a private gcse?

and any books reccomended?

If you're looking for an easy gcse then Music is definitely the wrong choice......It's one of the most time consuming/difficult gcses that I took!

Also, because all the coursework has to be internally marked by the school (we had to do 2 compositions and a solo and ensemble performance), you would need to find a centre who would be able to do this I think, which might not be possible :dontknow:
Originally Posted By clarinetplayer92
If you're looking for an easy gcse then Music is definitely the wrong choice.

This.
You need to enter through a school or college, who is willing to enter you as an internal candidate. This is because Music is not available to private students as a result of the practical elements.

Latest