The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bslforever
You don't know the kind of people i met o.0

Enlighten me to my ignorant social ways :rolleyes:
fortysixandtwo
If you think that's stressful I would advise you to get out of your bubble and see a little bit of the world.

I don't mean to pick on you but, come on, honestly...

The question was asked on here "what thing more stressful than a med application is demanded of a 17 year old?"

Answers such as "break ups of families", "loss of close friends" and "suicide of best friend" have come up.

If this is the little bit of the world you are encoraging me to see, then i think i'll just hang out here in my bubble for a bit if thats alright with you.
Bslforever
Thanks for that.

I do realise that my life is a walk in the park compared to others but seriously.

Ive never had to do something so stressful. Stress is a relative term. My med application is the most stressful thing i have ever had to do, therefore im finding it stressful.

Is that something that i really need to provide an explanation for, especially to someone who is supposted to be empethetic?

Chirrout, I understand that stress is relative, I am just giving perspective.
digitalis
Chirrout, I understand that stress is relative, I am just giving perspective.

Oh i understand that. Its just that perspective is kind of useless in such a relative situation.
terpineol
As much as I may joke about it, I do love Gizmo's input to things on here. I just have a strange image of some cross between oliver and a welsh mining village when I read them.

Good luck with the exams. Apparently this semester I should have learnt 157 drugs, I can rattle off about 30 at the moment, and that accounts for about 15% of the module. This isn't going to be fun.

Back to the OP, just try and ignore the wait.

I am supposed to know alot I don't really know. Winging my first exams slightly is not good.
Bslforever
Oh i understand that. Its just that perspective is kind of useless in such a relative situation.

Not really, perspective allows you to see other people's viewpoints, allowing you to compare and develop an insight into just how relative your stress is to others.
digitalis
Not really, perspective allows you to see other people's viewpoints, allowing you to compare and develop an insight into just how relative your stress is to others.

Yes but as interesting as it may be to see that other people may have a more stressful life than me, it doesn't change the fact that i find my situation stressful and consider it to be the most stressful situation that i've ever had to face.

Perspective is academic. Stress is emotional.
Bslforever
Yes but as interesting as it may be to see that other people may have a more stressful life than me, it doesn't change the fact that i find my situation stressful and consider it to be the most stressful situation that i've ever had to face.

Perspective is academic. Stress is emotional.

:rolleyes: Whatever kiddo.
digitalis
:rolleyes: Whatever kiddo.

Now now you'll never be part of a proper MDT like that, you have to appreciate the importance of emotional factors in all care scenarios when forming a suitable action plan for proposal in your care plan.

You have to learn to appreciate that there is more to an individual than what can be objectively measured by way of problem that needs treating.

Your attitude disgusts me.
terpineol
Now now you'll never be part of a proper MDT like that, you have to appreciate the importance of emotional factors in all care scenarios when forming a suitable action plan for proposal in your care plan.

You have to learn to appreciate that there is more to an individual than what can be objectively measured by way of problem that needs treating.

Your attitude disgusts me.

I know, I know. Fill out an incident report and we can talk about if for a few years, then develop a protocol so that we can objectively quantify emotion and prevent it from ever happening again. :cool:
Bslforever
The question was asked on here "what thing more stressful than a med application is demanded of a 17 year old?"

Answers such as "break ups of families", "loss of close friends" and "suicide of best friend" have come up.

If this is the little bit of the world you are encoraging me to see, then i think i'll just hang out here in my bubble for a bit if thats alright with you.

I quite happily admit that I'm middle class and I live in a bubble.

Thing is: I'm aware of the bubble.

Not to patronise, but you do know the type of career that you're getting in to? If you find these sort of things stressful now I can't imagine things will get any better.

You're gonna be dealing with all those things you mentioned and much, much more.
Reply 71
emperor_o
not really a question but a general comment. i know one should expect when they apply for medicine and i did but still.....

this medical admissions process is the most stressful thing i have done ever in my life, and it makes it harder to study for exams with all the anticipation especially since i currently have no offers and i am panicking everyday (like most other med students without any offers). even if you have one offer u can relax abit. it takes over you life as you cant stop thinking about. i have many exams and this process is just making it harder to care or work for them.

Very true. It's been so much easier reapplying on a gap year with no exams to worry about that it's felt like a completely different process. Just get it out the way and focus on the exams, at the end of the day they're the most important factor for you atm, if you nail them then whether you get offers this year or not ( and i'm sure you will), with strong grades you'll be able to reapply anyway.

so chin up :smile:
Reply 72
crazylemon
I am supposed to know alot I don't really know. Winging my first exams slightly is not good.

Best of luck with your exams mate! Is it the mock?
Reply 73
digitalis
I know, I know. Fill out an incident report and we can talk about if for a few years, then develop a protocol so that we can objectively quantify emotion and prevent it from ever happening again. :cool:

I filled in my first incident form off my own bat today :proud: :wink:

I thought this thread was about the other sort of medical admissions. Which is causing me as much stress now as the applicants are going through!
fortysixandtwo
I quite happily admit that I'm middle class and I live in a bubble.

Thing is: I'm aware of the bubble.

Not to patronise, but you do know the type of career that you're getting in to? If you find these sort of things stressful now I can't imagine things will get any better.

You're gonna be dealing with all those things you mentioned and much, much more.

Dont be foolish.

I said it was stressful. I didn't say it was anything i couldn't handle. I never said that i wouldnt ever meet hardships such as suicide. You just seemed to think that it might benefit me in some strange way :\

As a side note, saying "Not to patronise" before patronising someone does not absolve you. It just makes you sound like a middle class fool with his "bubble" too far up his own backside :rolleyes:

Also, i did my work experience. I watched All the seasons of House, started Greys Anatomy and i'm up to date with scrubs. What kind of fool do you take me for?!
Helenia
I filled in my first incident form off my own bat today :proud: :wink:

I thought this thread was about the other sort of medical admissions. Which is causing me as much stress now as the applicants are going through!

Oh dear :no: not cool at all. What's the flavour of the month on the medical take? Granny dumping?
Reply 76
digitalis
Oh dear :no: not cool at all. What's the flavour of the month on the medical take? Granny dumping?

Some of that, lots of little old ladies ignoring the fact it's bloody arctic outside and going for a stroll/to feed the birds/clean the front step then falling over. If they break anything the 'pods get them, otherwise we have to sort it out. Then yesterday about 5pm, everyone in Lewisham with COPD decided to rock up wheezing away...
Sanjetti
Best of luck with your exams mate! Is it the mock?

Fortunatly yes. but if I fail it it means I have 2 terms work to do in one which does not really appeal!

Gizmo!
lol funny.

but its such an idiot comeback, considering medical applicants are going to uni for 80% layabouting, and someone on a career is working (not observing, but working) 36 hours a week to pay bills and rent and food, theres no comparison at all.

but yes i agree that in the upper middle class dream world of posh existence that some of you cant see outside, then jobs, rent, careers, career progression stress, and 5 days a week of work all amount to nuffing at all.
although you'd beed to be utterly blind and stuopid to believe this. to be fair.

I think those who abuse their degree like this deserves to fail.

Also being someone who left home at 18, did my finals while working irritating hours and now holds a full-time job of 50 hrs per week to pay my bills/rent/stuff i fully agree with this point. I actually used to work 7 days a week because money is so damn irritating to keep in your pocket in London.

I am biased I know, the real world is a bitch! I would be so glad to be a student again especially if I manage to hold on to some savings.

Considering OP, stressing out about not having an offer/interview is unavoidable but you have to try. It is better to get rejected with awesome A levels than to have offers + failed grades.
Bslforever
Dont be foolish.

I said it was stressful. I didn't say it was anything i couldn't handle. I never said that i wouldnt ever meet hardships such as suicide. You just seemed to think that it might benefit me in some strange way :\

As a side note, saying "Not to patronise" before patronising someone does not absolve you. It just makes you sound like a middle class fool with his "bubble" too far up his own backside :rolleyes:

Also, i did my work experience. I watched All the seasons of House, started Greys Anatomy and i'm up to date with scrubs. What kind of fool do you take me for?!

Well it seems I've hit a nerve. Which in itself speaks volumes.

As a side note, saying "Not to patronise" before patronising someone does not absolve you.

Yeah, I know - I just wanted to do it anyway. I thought you'd enjoy the irony.

You just seemed to think that it might benefit me in some strange way :\

Yes an awareness of these things does benefit you. Being aware of them does not mean you have to personally experience them. You made that leap yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending