The Student Room Group

Economics Degree Career

What careers are you planning to go into after finishing your Economics degree?
Are the types of careers that you can go into after doing Economics worth the thousands of pounds debt that doing the degree involves

I just wondered because I am planning to do an Economics degree and have been trying to research the careers it leads to but it is not very clear

Are they well paid?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
a good one
Reply 2
kevin_123
a good one

Which one :smile:
Reply 3
Hapiness-
Which one :smile:
well i dont do a degree (havn't started college yet) but I will probably do IB... you must have SOME idea what you want to do.. why would you choose economics otherwise?

Edit: You're a woman, why dont you just marry some rich guy, a lot easier than uni (not being sexist)
Reply 4
Well I've liked the idea of being a teacher - I honestly do think I would be a good one if I was one. But the only thing putting me off being one is (this may sound greedy) that they dont get paid a lot.
Reply 5
kevin_123
well i dont do a degree (havn't started college yet) but I will probably do IB... you must have SOME idea what you want to do.. why would you choose economics otherwise?

Edit: You're a woman, why dont you just marry some rich guy, a lot easier than uni (not being sexist)

" Probably IB? " - do you not realise how competitive IB is?
I.E you be preparing for it now. With extra curriculars etc.
Reply 6
jabed786
Well I've liked the idea of being a teacher - I honestly do think I would be a good one if I was one. But the only thing putting me off being one is (this may sound greedy) that they dont get paid a lot.

It doesn't, money's always an important factor.

I've just started my first year as an economics undergraduate, and I have no idea what I want to do yet OP. Economics can branch out into anything at all..
Reply 7
Hapiness-
Are the types of careers that you can go into after doing Economics worth the thousands of pounds debt that doing the degree involves

I just wondered because I am planning to do an Economics degree and have been trying to research the careers it leads to but it is not very clear

Are they well paid?
Thanks

What career would you like? Personally.
I for one want to be an Actuary.
However I could have gone into Law (solicitor , barrister etc. ) accountancy , education. Pretty much anything apart from medicine I believe. Numeric careers mainly.
Reply 8
facetious

I've just started my first year as an economics undergraduate, and I have no idea what I want to do yet OP. Economics can branch out into anything at all..

Where at may I ask?
Not anything.
Reply 9
Maturity
" Probably IB? " - do you not realise how competitive IB is?
I.E you be preparing for it now. With extra curriculars etc.
Extra curriculars? What's that? I play a lot of video games, does that count?
Reply 10
Hapiness-

Are they well paid?
Thanks

Career Prospects
BSc Economics tends to offer a wider range of career opportunities, as the quantitative element is especially appealing to jobs in the financial services industry requiring an affinity for numeracy, or even quantitative ability. Careers in quantitative finance, such as investment banking, prefer BSc Economics graduates (or Oxbridge and Durham BAs) because of the mathematics and statistics they have learnt, which is not only a key aspect of the job, but demonstrates rigorous and analytical thinking. However it is important to note that if one seeks extrememly quantitative financial careers, one would be more suited studying Mathematics at university. Besides investment banking, other common graduate destinations in the finance field includes Accounting (e.g. Big4) and Actuary. A masters or Phd is required for Economist positions in national or international organisations like the IMF and OECD.
Reply 11
kevin_123
Extra curriculars? What's that? I play a lot of video games, does that count?

:yep: I can see your going to be working in IB, in no time. :wink: .
Reply 12
Maturity
What career would you like? Personally.
I for one want to be an Actuary.
However I could have gone into Law (solicitor , barrister etc. ) accountancy , education. Pretty much anything apart from medicine I believe. Numeric careers mainly.

I, myself have considered being an Actuary. The pay is realy good but you have to take further exams after uni which are probably quite hard, It may takes ages to be qualified
But then again, if you train with a firm you get paid whilst working/doing the exams so its not too bad :yep:
Reply 13
facetious

Thats what I liked about the degree, its versatile :smile:
The course I'm hoping to do is quite broad so I think it will make me more diverse. How are you finding your first year, what kind of modules do you find interesting?
Reply 14
Hapiness-
I, myself have considered being an Actuary. The pay is realy good but you have to take further exams after uni which are probably quite hard, It may takes ages to be qualified
But then again, if you train with a firm you get paid whilst working/doing the exams so its not too bad :yep:

i) Why not be an Actuary then?
ii) What University are you attending?
iii) 5 years is the Average.
iV) Very Good pay.
Maturity
:yep: I can see your going to be working in IB, in no time. :wink: .
But seriously though.. what sort of things would be good? What about making a website yourself that generates some profit each month? That would be pretty good wouldn't it? Accompanied with As at college and a good economics degree at LSE and you're sorted! right?
Reply 16
kevin_123
But seriously though.. what sort of things would be good? What about making a website yourself that generates some profit each month? That would be pretty good wouldn't it? Accompanied with As at college and a good economics degree at LSE and you're sorted! right?

i) Making a website that generates some profit each month, they don't care.
ii) Subjects at A level take - Maths, Further Maths, Economics, (English/History) and Physics. All high A's at AS level then good predictions but after that they will only offer you AAA so that is easy.
iii) All A*'s at GCSE ( regarding LSE).
iV) 1.1 / 2.1

You should be getting work experience with working in an investment banking environemnt now !
Reply 17
Directly after my degree I intend to train as an actuary, unless my long-term goal becomes more feasible. :p:

In the long-term, I want to go into economic policy within government and eventually into politics itself (such as becoming an MP or MEP).
Reply 18
.ACS.
Directly after my degree I intend to train as an actuary, unless my long-term goal becomes more feasible. :p:

In the long-term, I want to go into economic policy within government and eventually into politics itself (such as becoming an MP or MEP).

Hello,
I was wondering why you are applying to different courses?
Are you going to tell your universities that you have been to Southampton for a year?
jabed786
Thats what I liked about the degree, its versatile :smile:
The course I'm hoping to do is quite broad so I think it will make me more diverse. How are you finding your first year, what kind of modules do you find interesting?

It's quite interesting, and more difficult than I'd anticipated to be honest. I'm finding Economic History very interesting, but one of less liked ones is Applied Statistics.. there's much more maths than what I expected for sure!

Latest

Trending

Trending