The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Question regarding IT/Computing degrees at the OU

I was studying Sociology at University in Manchester around 4 years ago but I left quite early in the course since it just didn't interest me at all and I didn't really gel with a lot of people on the course (very different views on a lot of things). Since then I have started a career in IT and am currently working for a software developer as an SQL support engineer. I have also completed an A+ course and have my 2nd MCP exam coming up over the next couple of months.

Recently, however I have started to look at part time or distance learning degree courses as I still feel bad for not completing any kind of degree and I see it as more of a right of passage than anything else. Also I've been looking at the possibility of emigrating abroad including teaching English in Japan or Korea but both of these require a Bachelors of some description (it can be in any subject and teaching experience is almost never needed) so I suppose what I'm asking is would an Undergrad course at the OU help me. I've been primarily looking at the IT and Computing degree but am open to any suggestions which anybody may have. Also, does anybody know whether or not my MCP/A+/completed Foundation degree can count as partial credit towards this and allow me to complete a degree course faster?

I think the pricing and funding options offered by the OU probably compare very favourably to those offered by other Uni's at the moment and I am planning to attend an open day which they are holding next Saturday but I just thought that I would ask on here first to see if anybody could offer any advice.
Your foundation degree will count, as for the A+ and MCP you'd have to ask them, they aren't listed here but that doesn't mean it's a no. SQL knowhow will make one module a breeze (if you choose it).

The financial assistance is a really big plus for the OU indeed.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks SunburnedCactus, I thought that may be the case, I suppose I will need to ask them re my IT qualifications when I meet them which will hopefully be this weekend as long as the weather continues to improve.

I was hoping that there would be modules relating to networking and SQL etc as I would like to get through the degree as quickly as possible ideally and I would imagine the only thing which may come up computing-wise that I don't have any real experience or study-time in is programming. Although I did do a computing module as part my foundation degree, it only really included VB and I was never really too interested in it, plus I think most 2nd/3rd year computing/computer science students study C++/C# etc.

The financial assistance options available here seem really tempting too, especially as my Microsoft course have already cost quite a fair amount of money unfortunately. Do you know if you need to be based in the UK to apply for any sort of financial assistance with OU courses by any chance?
There is an SQL and databases module at level 3, which I'm planning on doing next year. The language used by the OU is Java, which despite the wide ridicule is a great language for learning about object oriented programming. It does mean you have to put the work in yourself if you want to develop C++/# but the skills are very much transferable. Quite a few unis seem to do Java these days, not exactly sure why though.

Financial assistance only extends as far as continental Europe, you can check eligibility here: http://css2.open.ac.uk/fafcalculator/eligibility.aspx
Reply 4
Well I'm not really looking to go into programming, like I said, although it's always definitely a good skill to learn if you have the time and money to invest in it, I just want to get a degree for the opportunities that it opens up and IT seems like the ideal subject as it is the area that I already work in.

Hopefully I will get to speak with them this weekend though and find out what my options are. The financial assistance outside the EU issue may not be a problem really, I was just asking in case as I have something else planned over the next year or so.
There is a VBish/SQL module at level 2 toooo.
Reply 6
Thanks, I'm hopefully going to see them in Sheffield this weekend anyway and figure out what my options are from there.

RaspberrySwirl, I think the inspiration for your username may have come from the same place as mine. :smile:
raspberryswirl
There is a VBish/SQL module at level 2 toooo.

ooooh didn't see that one, is on the IT degree but not the vanilla Computing one.
Bloodrose
Thanks, I'm hopefully going to see them in Sheffield this weekend anyway and figure out what my options are from there.

RaspberrySwirl, I think the inspiration for your username may have come from the same place as mine. :smile:

Ah yes! You have good taste. Yay, finally someone who doesn't think it is ice cream/cheesecake related :p:

SunburnedCactus

ooooh didn't see that one, is on the IT degree but not the vanilla Computing one.

Its a really friendly/easy module, tis a pity the Computing degree doesn't have much flexibility!

Bloodrose you could go for something like the Open Degree, or BEng if you are just looking for a bit of paper. I'm doing the BEng at the moment and its really flexible, I just have to mainly take technology courses. The OU do modules such as "Cisco Networking (CCNA)" and "Designing Applications with VB". Its worth having a browse through their website and seeing what might interest you.
Reply 9
raspberryswirl
Ah yes! You have good taste. Yay, finally someone who doesn't think it is ice cream/cheesecake related :p:

Its a really friendly/easy module, tis a pity the Computing degree doesn't have much flexibility!

Bloodrose you could go for something like the Open Degree, or BEng if you are just looking for a bit of paper. I'm doing the BEng at the moment and its really flexible, I just have to mainly take technology courses. The OU do modules such as "Cisco Networking (CCNA)" and "Designing Applications with VB". Its worth having a browse through their website and seeing what might interest you.

I'll definitely have a look into that one, thanks. I'm planning to make some notes over the next few days and then just ask them a load of questions on Saturday, that's obviously assuming that it will be going ahead as unfortunately it was snowing again this morning.

I definitely know what you mean by the way, my old username on a few other forums used to be DigitalGhost but it ended up with people thinking that I was just some sort of ghost hunter who was also really into computers. :smile:
Bloodrose
I'll definitely have a look into that one, thanks. I'm planning to make some notes over the next few days and then just ask them a load of questions on Saturday, that's obviously assuming that it will be going ahead as unfortunately it was snowing again this morning.

I definitely know what you mean by the way, my old username on a few other forums used to be DigitalGhost but it ended up with people thinking that I was just some sort of ghost hunter who was also really into computers. :smile:

Reply 11
Yeah a bit like that I think. :biggrin: