The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Anyone doing Maths?

Pretty much as the title states I'm looking for info on Maths at Nottingham.
In particular any information on any open units that can be taken would be much appreciated, as the prospectuses statement "In both courses, it is possible to take some modules from other Schools in the University." is a bit vague...
Thanks for any info.

Andy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try PM-ing Jump and Ricci - both off to do Maths this Sep at Notts. Don't know any Maths students though.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi buddy, although I am doing a degree in Mathematical Physics (that gives me no options in the first year :frown:) I have dug up some information for you specific to the first year of a degree in Mathematics.Go here and click on the appropriate year and degree it will give you specific details of the available modules and the policy on choosing modules outside the department. Hope that helps!
Reply 3
And here http://winster.nottingham.ac.uk/modulecatalogue/asp/main_search.asp is a module catalogue for all the modules, just click on the school you wish to know about. The modules that you can take from other schools are highlighted in yellow. xx
Reply 4
Right, from what I can tell I can do 1/6 of my degree outside of maths each year... Which is a little too small for my liking.
So Mathematics and Philosophy it is! Anyone know anyone doing this here?
Thanks for the search though Ricci.

Andy
Reply 5
andy5788
Right, from what I can tell I can do 1/6 of my degree outside of maths each year... Which is a little too small for my liking.

Andy

So it's definitely either straight Maths or Maths and Philosophy then? Not Law? :biggrin:
Reply 6
andy5788

Andy

I know someone who does maths&phil! And I also did quite a few philosophy modules this year (us politics students get to take quite a few non-politics modules in the first year)

Feel free to ask if you have questions :smile:
Reply 7
Frances
I know someone who does maths&phil! And I also did quite a few philosophy modules this year (us politics students get to take quite a few non-politics modules in the first year)

Feel free to ask if you have questions :smile:

Do you know what the policy is for attending lectures outside your core modules? Say I had a couple of hours to spare during the day would I be aloud to sit in a Philosophy lecture?
Reply 8
that would be an interesting idea Ricci.. doubt they'd allow it.. :frown: though it would be fun inviting you over to sutton b to learn food microbiology wif me haha.. you could come up with some incredible formula to estimate the rate of growth of bacteria etc etc.. :smile:
Reply 9
Ricci
Do you know what the policy is for attending lectures outside your core modules? Say I had a couple of hours to spare during the day would I be aloud to sit in a Philosophy lecture?

Sure you would. I don't think there's a policy, but nobody actually checks who goes to lectures, so just go and find a seat and chances are nobody will notice you're there!
Reply 10
Ricci

Don't think there's a policy. I just know my now-2nd-year Law student friend had once sat in a 4th yr Physics lecture at Cambridge. My ex had also told me anyone can go into the lectures so if I had wanted to I could just go into one and listen :biggrin: This is in Cambridge again though. But the same rule probably applies to all unis!
Reply 11
i have started carefully planning to crash a few neuroscience lectures already
neuroscientist's everywhere,
beware! (it rhymes!)
Reply 12
finnstar
i have started carefully planning to crash a few neuroscience lectures already
neuroscientist's everywhere,
beware! (it rhymes!)

Woooooooooooooooooo you can come sit with meeeee! :biggrin: :marchmell and you can ask the lecturer lots of random questions to do with food and the brain and annoy the lectuer!! :biggrin: yesh yesh *nods*
Reply 13
If I can go to any other lectures that is unrelated to my subject, I'd go to Philosophy lectures. Curious to know what's it all about.
Reply 14
I wouldn't go to any i didn't have to. It might push something else out that i need to know! And cuts into my me time. xx
Yeah it's no prob to crash other lectures, as an English Studies student I have so few of my own maybe I should've taken an interest! My friend visited medics lectures - they are more fun cause there's hundreds of people there so you blend in, and you get a trip to the QMC - what more could you want?! But if you do the shameful-got-the-wrong-room-but-don't-want-to-leave-for-fear-of-being-looked-at-strangely-thing then there's more of a gamble as to what lecture you'll get!
Reply 16
AHA! It IS you - Steph from Hu Stu who studeis English? Am i right? If i am you took me round on the open day. xx
Reply 17
*SuperSteph*
Yeah it's no prob to crash other lectures, as an English Studies student I have so few of my own maybe I should've taken an interest! My friend visited medics lectures - they are more fun cause there's hundreds of people there so you blend in, and you get a trip to the QMC - what more could you want?! But if you do the shameful-got-the-wrong-room-but-don't-want-to-leave-for-fear-of-being-looked-at-strangely-thing then there's more of a gamble as to what lecture you'll get!

ooooooh yes there's an idea! I'd LOVE to crash some Medicine lectures! I'd seriously considered Medicine at one point I'd love to know what it's like!

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai :biggrin: *smiles sweetly*
Reply 18
We are moving away from the topic again, hehe.

I would like to trade with anyone who wants all those 9 oclock ones. :biggrin: Everyone welcome to my lectures, even if you fall asleep half way through (if you get to the half way point that is) you shall be pardoned.

Oh, Steph - are you at HuStu (rather, were you there for your first year)??? I have been allocated that place :smile: super happy.
Yep that's me - hello there! Sorry to drag the topic even further off course, all those budding mathematicians will read all this nonsense and still be clueless about their course. Oh if it helps my friend does Maths and she didn't do any extra modules in other subjects, but I'm not really sure if she had the choice to to :s-smilie:

Anyway, Hu Stu is great! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending