The Student Room Group

Am I overweight?

Ok, so I suffer from really severe depression and was put on anti-depressants about six months ago. One of the side effects is weight gain. I used to be a size 8 but now I am a 12-14. I am really conscious about my weight and its really getting me down. Can I have honest opinions? I think if I hear from others how bad I look then I will be more motivated to lose the weight. All of my friends tell me that I look great but I know that they are lying because they are worried about how I will react. I just need honest opinions please?
No stupid answers ! :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You look absolutely fine to me. Lose weight if you want to, but I wouldn't say that you need to.

I'm the complete opposite - used to be a size 8-10, went on antidepressants, now a size 6 (this is not a good thing).
You look really good, I cant say you need to lose weight at all because you look to be a perfectly healthy weight and size.

I don't think losing a FEW POUND WOULD DO YOU ANY HARM IF IT WOULD MAKE YOU FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE WITH YOURSELF THOUGH.

sorry about the caps... cant be bothered taking them off
You have very nice legs and are ample chested. I suppose the biggest flaw would be your waist but there isn't a problem with it.

At the most you will need some toning because if you did gain wait it would be sat on your waist & hips and nowhere else.
Hey..
I know how you feel, because I've always had issues with the way I look too. It doesn't matter what others think, or say, because nothing will change your own perspective of yourself and its the worst feeling right?!
You honestly look fine though! You have curves in all the right places, and everything is in proportion. It must be hard knowing that your not as slim as you may have been, but understand that your body will change, so just learn to love what you have.
If you need to talk then just email me! :smile:
Reply 5
Yes.
Average UK size if 16... so no :smile:

But if it's really getting you down there is absolutely no harm in loosing weight, so long as it is for YOU (e.g. not because of nasty comments from your peers, pressure from your significant other etc)
Reply 7
you have the love handles.

so untoned more than 'fat'

what meds are you on? i'm curious to know what mechanism is causing your weight gain
Reply 8
FallenPetal
Average UK size if 16... so no :smile:

But if it's really getting you down there is absolutely no harm in loosing weight, so long as it is for YOU (e.g. not because of nasty comments from your peers, pressure from your significant other etc)

and the average UK'er is fat

your point being?
Reply 9
I would PM but since you are anon

your photobucket is public x
You're not overweight at all! You look perfectly normal to me :wink: You don't wanna be a skeleton, do you?
You look great to me, very attractive even. I don't know about health though, so you'll have to talk to your doctor about that. You're certainly not fat or unattractive anyway.
Reply 12
Butterflyleg
You're not overweight at all! You look perfectly normal to me :wink: You don't wanna be a skeleton, do you?

yes because reverting back to her size 8 non meds self is skeletal

fools
Reply 13
FML if you are overweight!

Nah seriously, you're not fat... no need to lose weight!
Adonis
and the average UK'er is fat

your point being?

My point being trying to put her weight relative to something as size is an entirely subjective issue.

if you worked in the fashion industry size 12-14 would be seen as obese, wheras if you were size 22 size 12-14 would seem minute.

Also, not EVERYONE thinks size 16 is fat. it depends also on your natural build too I guess.
Reply 15
Anonymous

Ok, so I suffer from really severe depression and was put on anti-depressants about six months ago. One of the side effects is weight gain. I used to be a size 8 but now I am a 12-14. I am really conscious about my weight and its really getting me down. Can I have honest opinions? I think if I hear from others how bad I look then I will be more motivated to lose the weight. All of my friends tell me that I look great but I know that they are lying because they are worried about how I will react. I just need honest opinions please?
No stupid answers ! :frown:

You certainly look within the healthy weight range to me. But you know you could just work out your BMI and know for sure. You have a nice figure too:wink:
Reply 16
You're not overweight. I went on your photobucket account (:p:) and maybe it would help if you stopped labelling all your images as "chubby me". A little self confidence helps.
I think your friends are right. You do look great :smile:
I think you look lovely. Just tone up.

I know how you feel though, I went from 6/8 to 10/12 because of medication (not anti-depressants though). It makes you feel terrible, but tbh no one else sees the same as you see.
Your body looks quite similar to mine actually. So this thread is making me feel a lot better too. :smile:
I personally am trying to lose some weight, not a lot, just a little, because according to the BMI I am verging overweight.

But now looking at you, I think you look great, I really do!
Maybe I'll start believing people when they say that to me too :smile: Thanks for the confindence boost!

I definitely think it's best to stay healthy, so it might be an idea to work out your BMI and aim for a good average, but seriously you look nice :smile: