The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

people feel racism is wrong if they are more certain about their own life, and feel sorry for people who may be discriminated because of their race, but this person also believes his/her views are superior to those who are racist, so he's a erm viewist? concluding; someone who feels he has the right to feel sorry for other people of other races, must in fact have a superiority complex him/herself over; the races he is vouching for to protect, and the racists.
hows that for shoddy psychology
Reply 41
The word racism is just used as ammunition for people to get what they want. If someone asks if i'm being racist, yes i am. But not to a certain color of skin for example. If your a ****, i will not like you. And the natural way memory works, is you learn from experiance, so if a repeat of that situation happens, your gonna assume. Such as if chav's and black guys who have wear trousers around way too low, they have no grammer and no respect from experiance, therefore im gonna assume anyone who dresses like that is acts simular and avoid them. Although one you get to know the person, they might not be like that. But you still will be discrimitive before you know them, in your mind, or whatever. Prejudice is a natural process, and cannot be avoided!
OhNO!
Acknowledging those results as averages is not, of itself, sexist. applying value judgements to individuals on the basis of them is. I think there's a distinction to be made there.

I don't want to get into the middle of any argument, but I agree with this! It's one thing to acknowledge a fact that differentiates two groups of people (e.g. women perform worse than men in spatial awareness tests), and a completely different thing to discriminate because of this fact (e.g., hiring a man over a woman for a job purely based on this reason).

I think a lot of people are racist and sexist, OP. I'm not too racist (I make jokes with friends of different races, but nothing meaningful), or sexist, although I do agree that for certain jobs, certain genders should be given priority - I know lots of people will disagree with that, but it's my personal view.
Reply 43
Everybody loves a good joke, but theres a fine line between disrespectful and funny
Reply 44
OhNO!
this isn't the case or it would make me sexist to point out that men have XX chromosome and women have XY

Lolfail.
Reply 45
Good Apollo
My point is that the word has already been trivialised, I wasn't trying to increase it in any way, just point out to some people that it's modern definition is just silly. I honestly don't see the huge problem you have with this.

there's a massive difference between acknowledging test results which show that on average, women performed less well than men in maths and problem solving problems and then taking that and using it to apply a value-judgement on every woman you meet. Do you not see any difference there? To try and clarify my point, I've read articles which show that young, working-class black boys on average under perform in school in comparison to their white, middle-class peers - this doesn't make me racist. However, if I decided to tell everyone that poor black children were inferior when it came to school work in the middle of a tutorial - no doubt I would be called racist.

And I don't have a 'huge problem' with this, I'm just responding to your post - I'm guessing that's allowed, otherwise I've got the purpose of this board very wrong.

ItH.
Lolfail.

doops, fail indeed.
dpb23
Defined literally, everyone is both sexist and racist, and every other -ist you can think of. Countering sexism and racism are political easy wins in this obsesively equal but totally skewed society. If I present to you a black man, a white man and an asian man, and ask who was most likely to have eaten curry for breakfast, it would be rational to say the asian man. Simplistic and pointless, yes, but this makes you racist.

Racism itself is not a problem. Everyone forms stereotypes about everything. This natural fear reflex to anything 'different' becomes a problem when people are attacked, denied employment, criminalised etc. As a Brit, I can go to almost any country in the world and expect to be treated differently to locals (whilst I try to overlook the fact that my fellow countrymen are probably smashing up the bar, starting fights or abusing the locals). Equally someone dressed in traditional Maasi tribal dress strolling through Hull will probably get a glance or two. This doesn't mean I or they will be stabbed, robbed, fired or arrested on sight. There's racism and RACISM. Everyone is racist. Few are RACIST.

Why is it wrong to deny employment based on race?
Reply 47
Depends what your definition of sexist/racist is.

Deep down, I expect the best people at maths to be white/asian, middle class, and male. However, that doesn't mean I think black, working class, or female people can't be amazing at maths, it's just less likely. I'm female and working class and I consider myself to be good at maths.

There's a difference between acknowledging some demographics outperform others, and believing black people/working class people/women should be banned from university for their inherent inferiority.
barbarthe19th
people feel racism is wrong if they are more certain about their own life, and feel sorry for people who may be discriminated because of their race, but this person also believes his/her views are superior to those who are racist, so he's a erm viewist? concluding; someone who feels he has the right to feel sorry for other people of other races, must in fact have a superiority complex him/herself over; the races he is vouching for to protect, and the racists.
hows that for shoddy psychology

Anybody can have any opinion, and some viewpoints are better than others.

Saying "London is the capital of the UK" is a superior opinion to saying "Berlin is the capital of the UK". One is fact, the other is not.
yeah with thoughts, not with actions and that's for both!
O-Ren
Depends what your definition of sexist/racist is.

Deep down, I expect the best people at maths to be white/asian, middle class, and male. However, that doesn't mean I think black, working class, or female people can't be amazing at maths, it's just less likely. I'm female and working class and I consider myself to be good at maths.

There's a difference between acknowledging some demographics outperform others, and believing black people/working class people/women should be banned from university for their inherent inferiority.

i only look down on the ghetto black people. normal black people are OK.
innerhollow
Because that will often prevent the best person for that job from being hired for that job, maybe?

Seriously, why do you feel the need to ask such stupid questions?

but there is nothing wrong with discrimination, surely?

And if a business owner only wants to hire x group of persons, then why not?
People say to me all the time that black men are terrible drivers, I've driven for three years or so and have not found this to be accurate. I have found that there are a lot of bad drivers in general though. :smile:

I know a few people who say they can't fancy people that happen to be a different skin colour than their own as well. I myself don't share any of these views but I don't hold anything against people telling me them. I'm careful who I introduce them to though.
Reply 53
rajandkwameali
Why is it wrong to deny employment based on race?

I didn't mean to make that judgement - but if I must, I believe it is indeed wrong. Clearly there are cases where it is justified. I could hardly play a black character in a stage production, nor could I realistically work in a halal butchers or - for the sexism example - be a wet-nurse (not that I've tried). But in general there is no real excuse for denying employment based simply on a factor which should bear no relation to ability.

But...we do live in a country VASTLY superior to most others in terms of human rights and equality, and I think there comes a point where a certain level of 'racism' is simply unavoidable. I would argue that it would take enforced brainwashing to 'neutralize' a society in terms of racial stereotyping, and I would rather not go through that. Same goes for sexism and xxxism - where xxx can be replaced by virtually any noun.

It is EXTREMELY TRENDY to be overtly anti-racist. It is a political goldmine and a very simple subject to talk about and listen to. Racism in Britain is NOT a big issue. It has terrible consequences for some - but there will always be depraved members of society who make the entire country look like a KKK fan club. Racism is hyped up and there are FAR more pressing issues out there - like the ECONOMY!
i am by the current gimped out definitions.
i never think or say anything along the lines of either "my genes make me superior" or "my genitalia makes me superior", but currently things are kinda dodgy
iainthegreat
I'm not racist, one of my friends is black.

Sean Lock - "I'm not a murderer, some of my best friends are alive!" :biggrin:

I'm probably sexist at times, never racist though.
dpb23
I didn't mean to make that judgement - but if I must, I believe it is indeed wrong. Clearly there are cases where it is justified. I could hardly play a black character in a stage production, nor could I realistically work in a halal butchers or - for the sexism example - be a wet-nurse (not that I've tried). But in general there is no real excuse for denying employment based simply on a factor which should bear no relation to ability.
should is subjective.
if i wish to deny employment due to someone being e.g. polish when i feel we should be protecting our jobs for ourselves, thats my perogative as employer. no excuse is necessary. the employer pays the money. it is his decision, and noone elses.

dpb23

I would argue that it would take enforced brainwashing to 'neutralize' a society in terms of racial stereotyping, and I would rather not go through that.

really, good idea, you should tell mister brown!
oh wait...
rajandkwameali

And if a business owner only wants to hire x group of persons, then why not?

this this this this this
not governments place to intervene in the employment process, in any circumstance
dpb23

But...we do live in a country VASTLY superior to most others in terms of human rights and equality, and I think there comes a point where a certain level of 'racism' is simply unavoidable. I would argue that it would take enforced brainwashing to 'neutralize' a society in terms of racial stereotyping, and I would rather not go through that. Same goes for sexism and xxxism - where xxx can be replaced by virtually any noun.

It is EXTREMELY TRENDY to be overtly anti-racist. It is a political goldmine and a very simple subject to talk about and listen to. Racism in Britain is NOT a big issue. It has terrible consequences for some - but there will always be depraved members of society who make the entire country look like a KKK fan club. Racism is hyped up and there are FAR more pressing issues out there - like the ECONOMY!

There is nothing wrong in discrimination.

And discrimination in the recruitment/selection process is OK, it's integral in running a business.
I'm not racist or sexist,
but I'm able to make a joke out of things; for example sometimes if I see a black man I'll go to my friends ''It's my Dad!'' or when I said I was going to write a letter of complaint to the school
and complain about racism or something.

But I don't discriminate; but I think it's ok to take the mick a bit sometimes,
but I'd never intentionally offend someone.

Latest

Trending

Trending