The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Hi there, didn't want your post to go unanswered so I'll have a bash at a reply :wink:

The OU's psychology degree is accredited by the BPS and involves taking a number of compulsory courses, whereas the Phil & Psych degree only requires you to do two psychology courses (DSE212 - the general psych level 2 - and one of the level 3s). My guess is that the title "psychological studies" (rather than just 'psychology') is supposed to reflect the fact that this is not a BPS-accredited psychology degree or a 'double honours', but one which involves only an element of psychology.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Ah, that totally sucks, I was hoping it would be accredited by the BPS. I suppose I'll stick to a psychology degree, which i actually intended to do at first, but I missed studying philosophy.:frown:

I have a few questions though; it's a little confusing.

I need 120 points at level 1 to start the degree, do I have to choose the courses posted on the link below for level one, or are there alternatives? If there are, which ones should be considered.
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/b07.htm

Also, I had a look at the diplomas listed; it mentions that a diploma is considered to be at a similar level to that of a second year of undergraduate study. I had a look at the classical studies diploma, which I'd be interested in studying. However it states the diploma makes up 120 points in total. Surely a diploma would need 240 points?

I'd be very greatful if someone could shed some light on the above queries.:biggrin:
Hi again

You don't need 120 points at level 1. I only did the 60 point course DD100 (which has now been replaced by DD101). So you can choose to do the general social science level 1 course DD101 or you could do two 30 point level 1 courses as detailed on the page you linked to.

Regarding the Diplomas, in the social sciences and humanities these normally consist of 60 points at level 2 and 60 points at level 3. The 'similar level to that of a second year of undergraduate study' is therefore a rough approximation.

Hope this helps :smile: I should also say that the OU advisers are very helpful if you want to give them a call to discuss your plans.
Reply 4
lupinpooter
Hi again

You don't need 120 points at level 1. I only did the 60 point course DD100 (which has now been replaced by DD101). So you can choose to do the general social science level 1 course DD101 or you could do two 30 point level 1 courses as detailed on the page you linked to.

Regarding the Diplomas, in the social sciences and humanities these normally consist of 60 points at level 2 and 60 points at level 3. The 'similar level to that of a second year of undergraduate study' is therefore a rough approximation.

Hope this helps :smile: I should also say that the OU advisers are very helpful if you want to give them a call to discuss your plans.

This is probably where I'm a bit hazy on the subject. I thought 360 points was necessary for a degree.

Level 1- 120 points
Level 2- 120 points
Level 3- 120 points

So I'm guessing the above is incorrect?

Regarding the Level 1 courses for a Psychology degree, are there any other possible courses that I can choose, rather than the ones displayed on the previous post ( Introducing social science or discovering science).
You do need 360 points for an honours degree, but they don't have to be made up from 120 at each level. For example, I did 60 at level 1, 120 at level 2 and 180 at level 3. But some named degree paths are more prescriptive than others (psychology is one of them!). Nevertheless, I'm not aware of any that require 120 at level 1.

If your interest is in psychology, I'd probably opt for the 30 pointer general soc sci level 1 plus the 30 pointer psychology level 1 (as detailed on that page).
Reply 6
lupinpooter
You do need 360 points for an honours degree, but they don't have to be made up from 120 at each level. For example, I did 60 at level 1, 120 at level 2 and 180 at level 3. But some named degree paths are more prescriptive than others (psychology is one of them!). Nevertheless, I'm not aware of any that require 120 at level 1.

If your interest is in psychology, I'd probably opt for the 30 pointer general soc sci level 1 plus the 30 pointer psychology level 1 (as detailed on that page).

Ah, ok got it now, thanks!

Here's what I was considering to do, but I'm not entirely sure whether the courses count towards a Psychology degree, so I'd appreciate the help. I'm definitely planning to study introduction to social science-part one, the rest are what I'm confused on.

Introduction to counselling - Level 1
Counselling: exploring fear and sadness - Level 2
Applying psychology - Level 2
Understanding the autism spectrum - Level 1

I hope to study one or two of the above, with the social science course, towards the degree. Would they or wouldn't they count towards the degree?

Also, as you can see some of the above are Level 2 courses, how much of a step up would it be if I studied it in the first year? Would it be too difficult? The Applying Psychology course recommends I study Exploring psychology before, but is it really essential?
They'd count towards a degree, but if you particularly want the named Psychology degree that is accredited by the BPS then the degree path is set in stone with 285 points of compulsory courses. This leaves you 75 points: 60 of those are likely to be taken up by your level 1 course(s), leaving 15 points which can be from any course you like.

If you'd rather have more flexibility about which courses you do, then perhaps an Open degree would be the best option? It depends what you want to do with the degree afterwards, really.

Regarding the step up from level 1 to 2, the OU recommends that you do at least one level 1 course first. I'm not a psych student so I can't comment on these courses specifically, I'm afraid. Ideally it would be better to do your level 1 stuff first and then you'll be well prepared to move up to level 2, but if your study skills are pretty good/relatively recent and you have the time and sufficient motivation, then you'd probably be fine with level 2 in the first year.

Are you planning to study more than 60 points a year?

Latest