The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I am resitting this to hopefully get a B up to an A. As far as questions, this is my way of thinking about it at the moment -

Course split into four sections:

1906-1914
1914-1929
1929-1940
1940-1951

Now, there has been two exams so far and on each paper only three can be covered. 1906 came up in June, but did not come up in January. 1914 has come up both times. 1929 came up last January, but not June. 1940 has come up both times.

So make of that what you will, three of the four will come up and I would not like to call it. One notable point, is that the General Strike has not come up - maybe this time? I dunno, I would guess that something would come up about the 1931 crisis.
Reply 2
Thankyou! Was thinking that the General Strike hasn't come up. Was hoping that the Liberal Social Reforms would but that was on last Jan and June so thats not looking promising. I've been focusing mainly on the General Strike and the Constitutional Crisis coz' that hasn't appeared yet.
Reply 3
Liberal reforms didn't come up last January, heres the paper - http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-HIS1L-W-QP-JAN09.PDF

What was on the June one is just from memory as they don't release it until after this exam series for some reason I think. There was a question on the 1906 election followed by a 24 maker about the success of reforms. Then there was one on Lloyd George and the Coupon Election I think. I didn't do the last choice, but from memory it was about Bevin and the NHS.

If Liberals did come up - I think it will, Constitutional Crisis is a sure bet imo for the 12 marker. For the 24 mark question it will probably be a tricky one, rise of Labour maybe? Theres been nothing on Ireland yet - which would be nightmare.
Reply 4
Oh God yeah sorry it was the sample Paper it was on.
I've got the June paper here, 1 is about why Conserv lost in 1906 then the Social Reforms. 2 is L.Geroge's coalition Gov and his fall from Office. and yeh 3 was the Bev report and Labours actions on his report. I have no idea about any of question3 so hopefully it wont come up on thursday!
Reply 5
Ah cheers for that. And now I think about it, no questions as of yet specifically on the impacts of WW2 nor Churchills coalition - thats got to be worth a shot.
Reply 6
Yeah, nor the Political/Social/Economic impact of WW1 which my teacher focused on quite a Bit. I've decided to just focus on 1906-40 coz two of them things will be up hopefully? Risky I know but i've left it far too late to try and go over everything
Reply 7
Its not that risky, because as far as I am aware 2 of the 3 questions have to come out of that period. All it means is that you will have to do both of them even if you don't like the questions that much.

I have a decent overview of the whole period, but I am focusing on 1906-29 and 1940-51 myself. Thats probably more risky, as I am almost 100% sure the period I missed out will come up, but 29-40 just contains so much material in terms of evidence to remember that I think my time could be better spent on other aspects.

But yeah, my last minute in depth revision will be focused on the Constitutional Crisis, Churchill's National Government and the General Strike. The latter of which there just has to be a question on, hope so anyway. :p:
Reply 8
Yeah, and thats one of my worst problems, understanding what the question is wanting me to do! I'd rather just like about 10 little questions where they just ask like Name 4 social reforms or something :smile: haha too easy then I suppose. or even if it was like at GCSE where we got sources to work from.
If your resitting this, does that mean you've done another one and doing one soon? :smile:
Reply 9
Nah, I did Vietnam and Britain 1906-51 last June and got a A and a C, which brought it down to a B overall. So I am retaking this paper only to try and get it up to an A.

Then at A2 you do a piece of coursework which I have just started and my only History exam this year is Britain 1951-2007 which is in June.
Reply 10
oh so is it Good at A2? I definatley keeping it on. we do Stalin & Nazi Germany though, then the coursework. Is the coursework a set question ?
Reply 11
In theory you can do anything you like I think, as long as its over a 100 year period; theres a few topics about it on here about what various people are doing if you are interested. But anyway, I know our teacher has set 3 set questions all on the same area - African-American civil rights, just so its easier as far as supporting us goes.

Its a shame you aren't doing the 'rest' of the British course so to speak, its really quite interesting - much more so than 1906-51.
Reply 12
haha is it really? hard to believe seeing as though this is so Boring! what does it include the rest of the British course?

is it 3 questions for coursework? Our teacher said something about doing Hitler but I don't know whether he was just tellin me we could do that or he'd prefer us to.
Reply 13
No, you do one question which is 3000 works. Our teacher just let us chose from any one of three. But in theory you can I think chose any period you like.

The rest of its just everything since 1951-2007, Thatcher is interesting and so is the New Labour stuff; its more relevant if you know what I mean? Because it includes the 90's and up to 07 you have lived through it and as such you can see how policy has shaped your life.
Reply 14
Oh.

And yeah that does seem interesting but I don't know about uno up to 2007 British History, but what we seem to be doing now seems more Politics? Actually thought that the teachers got confused one lesson coz' we were learning about elections and all Prime Ministers, not my cup of tea! Sounds sick but I love doing the Nazi's. Or early on King & Queens like the Tudors. Haven't come across anyone doing that for ALevel, I know it was a Course option though.
Reply 15
Tbf, most history is politics really. Everything is the actions of govenments and how policies/wars etc effect the population. But yeah, theres something like 20 different course options on AQA - this one seems to be one of the most popular ones but not many people do it in January (120 according to the examiners report) last year; you must have been pushed to fit it in a term.

I imagine the majority of people doing it will be resitters like me.
Reply 16
Did you not do it in a term?
And I know but British History seems to be more boring :frown:. Yeah i'll be resitting this topic definatly! along with all my other subjects. I hate ALevels.
Reply 17
Nope, over a year. Half my lessons were on this exam and the other half on Vietnam.= and then both exams in June. Obviously either way it works out the same lesson wise, but I think the way I did it you get more time to digest the infomation.
Reply 18
Oh I get it. Yeah that would have been alot easier! I've been doing it for 4 Months, then if you minus holidays and the previoius week we had off coz' of snow, more like 3 months! Its like learning 16years in a month :frown:
Reply 19
How did that go for you then? And anyone else who took it for that matter. I am a bit disappointed as I don't feel I did myself justice on the third question. Not sure if I did any better than last time.

Latest

Trending

Trending