The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

hannah1011
Thankyou for the advice:smile: I do need to meet people, just got a bit disheartened with it all. I got in to Lancaster too on Access, and as much as I've just whinged about uni, the Psychology departments quite good I think.

Where did you do your access course? I'm hoping they accept it as its my favourite choice after i was unsuccessful at cambridge. How old are you too if you dont mind me asking? If you are a mature student maybe it is a bit more difficult to settle in... I'm a bit worried about that, that i will arrive and everyone is really young compared to me!! :eek:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
hannah1011
Thankyou for the replies and advice, (I'm in Cartmel by the way)

Yeah uni definitley seems like a love it or hate it thing. I hoped I'd love it though, although I did worry that I would end up in a bad flat

I've already tried to make things a bit better, asked to do volunteering and join the societies I was interested in but never got any replies, had personal tutor meetings, and even counselling! flatmates apparently had 3 official warnings yet things seem worse not better, and asked to move off campus with people more my own age but can't because of the accommodation contract, and the list goes on...

I am really homesick, and I have just applied to transfer to universities near to home but I was told that it is rare for people to be accepted into the second year?

I have met a few people who seem nice and are good to chat to but they all seem to stay in groups with their flatmates. Lancaster just reminds me of school where everyone is trying to be popular or whatever, which I'm kind of past that. I get along with chilled out and friendly people more, just can't seem to find any who don't already have a group.

So I'm thinking maybe it's just not the right uni for me, I just don't want to give up incase I don't get accepted anywhere else and end up having to stay for another 2 & 1/2 years.

Xxx

What do you mean by 'never got any replies'. Usually with societies, other than stuff like sports teams, they are happy for you just to show up and see what is going on, and then see if you would be interested. I know as an exec member for a society that it can sometimes be difficult to keep track of which emails you have responded to and which you haven't, and which someone else on the exec has responded to, so don't be shy if you emailed and got no response!
As for volunteering, just pop into the LUVU office- they are all really nice! it looks daunting, them all sitting there at their desks, but it's not, promise!
Oh, and refreshers fair is next tuesday, 4-7 in the great hall, I believe. Gospel choir won't be there- we are all getting too busy with work atm! We are a pretty friendly and very welcoming group though, so if you want to come, just turn up!
Reply 42
Teao the Cat
What do you mean by 'never got any replies'. Usually with societies, other than stuff like sports teams, they are happy for you just to show up and see what is going on, and then see if you would be interested. I know as an exec member for a society that it can sometimes be difficult to keep track of which emails you have responded to and which you haven't, and which someone else on the exec has responded to, so don't be shy if you emailed and got no response!
As for volunteering, just pop into the LUVU office- they are all really nice! it looks daunting, them all sitting there at their desks, but it's not, promise!
Oh, and refreshers fair is next tuesday, 4-7 in the great hall, I believe. Gospel choir won't be there- we are all getting too busy with work atm! We are a pretty friendly and very welcoming group though, so if you want to come, just turn up!

I missed the freshers fair so found their sites where it said contact us if you want to join mid term and never got any replies, my point was by this time I was just disheartened with it all, it just put me off slightly. I'm sure the societies are very busy but if they actually ask you to contact them by email specifically then maybe they should reply. But thanks for letting me know, I will have to call in next Tuesday then!
Reply 43
mattyjonesuk
Where did you do your access course? I'm hoping they accept it as its my favourite choice after i was unsuccessful at cambridge. How old are you too if you dont mind me asking? If you are a mature student maybe it is a bit more difficult to settle in... I'm a bit worried about that, that i will arrive and everyone is really young compared to me!! :eek:

I did my course at Leeds City College, Lancs should accept you they accepted me without interview so don't see why you shouldn't get in. I'm only 21 but it still feels like a big gap between me & the 18year olds! But I think thats because I've lived on campus after living by myself, really wish I'd have gone in a shared house off campus with third years. On campus feels like being at a boarding school or something:frown: But don't worry about that, my boyfriends in his first year, he's 27 but has made friends with off campus people who are 18/19/21 and 30! so don't think age matters too much in most cases:smile:
Reply 44
mattyjonesuk

Hey matty,

im transferring to lancaster next october to study Psych and will be 21 the week before I start so im going to be an oldie too! dont worry about the age thing, at my old uni there was even an 83 yr old! haha

minnie x
minnie2509
Hey matty,

im transferring to lancaster next october to study Psych and will be 21 the week before I start so im going to be an oldie too! dont worry about the age thing, at my old uni there was even an 83 yr old! haha

minnie x

I can't wait to come... My main worry is living with some decent people. I am used to living on my own but i cant afford to when i go to uni so i will be looking to get private accommodation with one or two others. Preferably somewhere i can bring my dog too!! lol x
Reply 46
I went to Lancaster last year and really didn't enjoy it. After Christmas I ended up coming home nearly every weekend. My flatmates were nothing like me, very cliqueish and 'topshop' sort of girls. I spent virtually every day in my room, I could easily go through a week speaking to no-one there apart from shop assistant's! And I'm not particulrly quiet tbh, I just couldn't get on with those people.

Seems a fair few people are feeling the same as I did about Lancaster, dunno what it is about the place but it really wasn't for me. I'm starting again now, hoping and praying for Manchester :smile:
Reply 47
I'm curently on a Gap Year but my uni friends experiences have been very hit and miss. My friend at Manchester ended up in a flat full of cokeheads who did awful things to her flat, so her and her friend left and moved into other halls.

I would really recommend joining societies my friends who love uni and hav made good friends mostly met people at societies. Remember flatmates are randoms you put no effort into meeting its luck of the draw.

I'm coming to Lancaster next year after turning Warwick down this year and realising it wasn't the place for me. Can I just ask what 'topshop girls' mean? I'm a bit worried about Lancaster just because at the open day people asked if ~I had gone to private school and said I spoke 'posh'?
Reply 48
Maysie07
I'm curently on a Gap Year but my uni friends experiences have been very hit and miss. My friend at Manchester ended up in a flat full of cokeheads who did awful things to her flat, so her and her friend left and moved into other halls.

I would really recommend joining societies my friends who love uni and hav made good friends mostly met people at societies. Remember flatmates are randoms you put no effort into meeting its luck of the draw.

I'm coming to Lancaster next year after turning Warwick down this year and realising it wasn't the place for me. Can I just ask what 'topshop girls' mean? I'm a bit worried about Lancaster just because at the open day people asked if ~I had gone to private school and said I spoke 'posh'?

I wouldn't worry about the accent thing. Southerners sound 'posh' compared to use northerners. You'll get used to it. I'd imagine 'Topshop Girls' are girls that shop at Topshop :/ Or at least look like trampy whores.
Reply 49
lol Topshop Girls are basically girls who look like they shop at Topshop, or as Fishstikk put it trampty whores. Pretty good description. And they run about giggling like hyenas, have about 4 braincells put together and are really interested in: boys, how they look, boys (and I stress, boys not relationships) running around acting like fools and generally being shallow.

Not horrible people I must add, but not people I tend to have a lot in common with! lol
But don't worry, there are people from all over and I don't think you'd have a problem being posh. I'm from Leeds so practically everyone there was posher than me but they never had a problem. Everyone tends to be nice, it's just not a particularly exciting city. Very safe though, which is good x
Reply 50
Meow7
I went to Lancaster last year and really didn't enjoy it. After Christmas I ended up coming home nearly every weekend. My flatmates were nothing like me, very cliqueish and 'topshop' sort of girls. I spent virtually every day in my room, I could easily go through a week speaking to no-one there apart from shop assistant's! And I'm not particulrly quiet tbh, I just couldn't get on with those people.

Seems a fair few people are feeling the same as I did about Lancaster, dunno what it is about the place but it really wasn't for me. I'm starting again now, hoping and praying for Manchester :smile:

Going through the exact same thing right now unfortunately, but have just applied to Leeds so will hopefully get to transfer. & good luck, hope you get the uni you want:smile:
Reply 51
hannah1011
Going through the exact same thing right now unfortunately, but have just applied to Leeds so will hopefully get to transfer. & good luck, hope you get the uni you want:smile:

Aww that's rubbish. Hope you get into Leeds, it's a great city. Coming from here to Lancaster was a massive culture shock, couldn't believe how quiet it was, didn't like the social scene and it was just too small for me I think.

Do you get on with any of your flatmates? Thanks, I really want Manchester but I'll be more than happy with Leeds. Plus it means I get more time with the missus :wink:
Reply 52
Yeah it's so isolated, I really thought I would like being out there but just want to come back to Leeds, can't believe the student life I'm missing down here! Not had much luck with the flatmates I'm afraid, 2 girls seem nice enough but have their own friends as they're 3rd years, and can't stand the rest of the 1st years in our flat so they're always out, the rest are just flatmates from hell...

aaw well I'm sure Manchester or Leeds will be fun either way:smile: can't get much different from Lancaster than them two places, and at least there will be some kind of decent nightlife!

Meow7
Aww that's rubbish. Hope you get into Leeds, it's a great city. Coming from here to Lancaster was a massive culture shock, couldn't believe how quiet it was, didn't like the social scene and it was just too small for me I think.

Do you get on with any of your flatmates? Thanks, I really want Manchester but I'll be more than happy with Leeds. Plus it means I get more time with the missus :wink:
So, does this mean you're likely to be put in single-sex flats/houses?

Because if I have to live with all girls I'll shoot myself.
RedRevolver
So, does this mean you're likely to be put in single-sex flats/houses?

Because if I have to live with all girls I'll shoot myself.

I don't think so. While applying for accommodation you can choose if you want a single-sex flat or not.
Reply 55
No it doesn't have to be single-sex, I didn't know anyone there who was in a single sex flat. There were a couple of lads in my flat, but still not my sort of people really :/
There's the Refreshers Fair today at 4-7 PM in the Great Hall if you're interested.
Reply 57
I hope youve picked up?

I was having just a bad a timne as you last term. But I had joined LURPS and kept at it for the frst term. I didnt make frends straight away, but not everyone does. I have (in the last 6 weeks) made really close friends in the group i play in, (6 other people) and honestly one of them is my best friend, as we are there fore each other a lot.

Stick witht it, and realise it can take a couple of terms to make friends, depending on your luck and ocnfidence. What kind of socieites do you want to join??
Reply 58
ponpon14
I hope youve picked up?

I was having just a bad a timne as you last term. But I had joined LURPS and kept at it for the frst term. I didnt make frends straight away, but not everyone does. I have (in the last 6 weeks) made really close friends in the group i play in, (6 other people) and honestly one of them is my best friend, as we are there fore each other a lot.

Stick witht it, and realise it can take a couple of terms to make friends, depending on your luck and ocnfidence. What kind of socieites do you want to join??

Hi:smile: good to hear things improved for you, things aren't too bad at the moment as I've been commuting but just means I'm paying for a room I'm not staying in. Is it the role play society that you're in? In the first place I wanted to join the music and bailrigg fm societies, but thinking about art now or maybe even photography hmmm....
Reply 59
Yeah, Im in the roleplay society. Nerdy i know :P But i enjoy it.
I also want to start dancing, but the dancing society doesnt seem to do anything i could do with my boyfriend (like jiving or somehting).

Its glad to hear your doing a bit better now. I hope your commute isnt too big. Photography does sound brilliant if your into that kind of thing too!

Latest

Trending

Trending